Manx buggy builld 10 years on. - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Readers Rides

Readers Rides Post pics, specs and build-up stories of your vehicles - or even your garages here. Also interesting stuff about your 'daily drivers' etc. or interesting cars you have seen on your travels, even motors-based TV shows you can recommend. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 09:12 PM   #1
manx1641
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (1)

Default Manx buggy builld 10 years on.

Well i've been on here for a while now, and have posted a few pics of my buggy along the way but thought it was about time i put it all together in a thread,

the buggys now mot'd and road legal but i'm forever changing bits.

So a little background.

Heres where it all started, my brothers '72 1200cc beetle, in finest mint green. a little rotten underneath the snow.

the chassis was stripped and the rust treated,

Box section was added to the chassis, along with ali cheque plate for the floors.

All new brakes susspension steering wheels and ready for the road.

And mot'd for the first time.
Over the next winter a few changes took place,

i made a mould and then made this panel to replace the battery tray and spare wheel well which came with the manx shell.

and for something a little different i grafted in a new mini vent, there was a reason for this as i was planning a water cooled conversion.

then off to the body shop for some paint.

and a bit of sparkle.
manx1641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:13 PM   #2
manx1641
Seasoned Chat Slut

Back on the road.

All new 1641cc fitted, with 110 cam ratio rockers, lightened and balanced bottom end, edis ignition,

After a few carb problems, (i hate them!) i experimented with fuel injection, my first attempt was a single point injection with a motorbike throttle body and single 440cc injector, it ran but not too well. so was replaced with cb end castings and golf injectors, ran much better, but i wanted more power!!

So i added a T25 turbo. this is the first set up, i had a few complaints about the exhaust.

so i made this using my old back box.

And a new intake manifold to better suit the golf throttle body.

And thats where we were this summer, i got some good mileage in before the 25 ebay turbo let go, so it was into the garage for some more mods,

i've moved the oil filler to the redundant distributor hole to make topping up easier.

and then had a play with some carbon, also started on a serpentine belt conversion, i made the bottom pulley for my old golf, which was lying around in the garage, it's got a mount for a trigger wheel, just need to modify it to fit now.
Modified an old golf belt tensioner to work with the new wider belt
Old 06-11-2009, 09:15 PM   #3
manx1641
Seasoned Chat Slut

made a couple of moulds ready for more carbon, thats a new belt cover and number plate light housing mnodified to fit the body better.

Laying up the moulds.

Needs some prep work

gave the block a lick of paint.

my first 4 attempts at carbon moulding, imperfections in each one!!!

and finally attempt number 6 and i'm happy, i know some people will wonder why and say it's not in the spirit of a buggy, or it's boy racer stuff, but if i was worried about things like that i wouldn't own a beach buggy,

I gave the alternator a coat of paint too, and some detailing on the fan backing plate,
And finally today i sorted the mount for the belt tensioner, the bottom of the alternator stand was milled down by 6mm, then 6mm ali angle used for the bracket, the alterantor pulley is from a golf G60 super charger, modified to fit,

and there we are up to date, there are a few more changes in progress, i've rebuilt the turbo, and can't wait to get it back together.

All comments welcome

well good ones

Old 06-11-2009, 09:18 PM   #4
manx1641
Seasoned Chat Slut

Forgot the picture of the bracket,

Other bits that have changed, the buggy now has an irs conversion, and steering rack from a golf which has made a great difference to the steering feel.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:49 PM   #5
rich74310
Seasoned Chat Slut

im glad you put the photos up.it looks really good.well done mate
rich74310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:53 PM   #6
manx1641
Seasoned Chat Slut

Cheers, thought it was about time,
Old 06-11-2009, 10:10 PM   #7
rich74310
Seasoned Chat Slut

Default me bug!!!

cant wait to get mine together now.ordered heads yesterday and rest of engine.just waiting for the price on the pro comp box and then i think iv got most of the stuff to get hassis together.hopefully this summer
Old 06-11-2009, 11:01 PM   #8
cliveugliness2
Wannabe Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (9)

Default WOW

OMG - thats amazing
top quality work- keep the pics coming

cheers UG
cliveugliness2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 09:38 AM   #9
manx1641
Seasoned Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich74310 View Post
cant wait to get mine together now.ordered heads yesterday and rest of engine.just waiting for the price on the pro comp box and then i think iv got most of the stuff to get hassis together.hopefully this summer
Cheers guys,

rich, what have you got planned? i'm still running the stock gearbox at the moment,
Old 07-11-2009, 01:04 PM   #10
rich74310
Seasoned Chat Slut

Default engine spec

well this is the spec

2016cc engine,tcs turbo cam,full flowed,dellorto turbo carbs,modulater rings.custom pressure caps.td04 turbo.mr2 intercooler,lightened flywheel.044 heads(40x37),four into 1 stainless system.there are a few other tricks up my sleve as well.pro comp box is next with hd axles.i already have the porsche brake set up for front and rear.just starting to strenghen the chassis now.

hopefully the engine should be about 200 ponies.

got most of the other bits now.its going to be alittle different to the old vwdrc bug which it was in the 90's
Reply Post New Thread