Roxy - 69 Bug Resto - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Readers Rides

Readers Rides Post pics, specs and build-up stories of your vehicles - or even your garages here. Also interesting stuff about your 'daily drivers' etc. or interesting cars you have seen on your travels, even motors-based TV shows you can recommend. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 21-02-2010, 02:30 PM   #1
Nick-Rackham
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (0)

Default Roxy - 69 Bug Resto

I picked up this 69 Bug off ebay last November with the intention of doing a quick patch up and using as a daily until my 69 Bay has been restored. I haven't got any history with the car, and checking around it looks like it hasn't been on the road for 6-7 years +. If anyone knows anything about this little beauty can they drop me a line Here's some pics for the photo pervs

Anyway, a couple of hours got the motor running, sounds sweet. had a quick look around and noticed a few patches needed. What with work and other stuff going on I didn't get round to doing anything until last week. Had the week off (and ended up working half of it), but anyway......

Looks can be deceiving. I knew that it was going to need heater channels, and maybe floor pans, but ......

Started on the rear arch.

And from inside....

Last edited by Nick-Rackham; 08-03-2010 at 09:29 PM..
Nick-Rackham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 02:31 PM   #2
Nick-Rackham
Chat Slapper

I removed 18 seperate patches from this quarter so far. Looks like originally patched, then a replacement arch pop rivetted on from outside and welded without removing the original, and then plated over from the inside, and finished off with loads of resin and filler to smooth it all out!

So chopped out as much crap as possible....

and then started to clean up the rest of the panel to see how much I still needed to remove to get back to decent metal

hmmm....

patches on patches on ......

woohoo, another patch that's 25 so far

and then, first blood....

photo doesn't do it much justice, short story, flapper wheel on a disc cutter caught and finger was in the way! Should have been wearing gloves! anyway, after a trip to a and e and the Doctors comment "well, there's nothing left to stitch, at least you missed the tendons" figured that'll be it for a few days!
Old 06-03-2010, 07:32 PM   #3
Nick-Rackham
Chat Slapper

OK, got a bit more done. Taking a lot longer than I thought.

Managed to get the O/S rear crossmenber in and a small repair to the side panel. Not doing heater channel as that's coming out soon!

Got the inner wing stitched in...

But not as much penetration as I hoped for...

So stitched from outside too. Got too frackin cold to be outside so cleaned off as much as I could and gave it a quick coat of primer to keep the weather off til tomorrow

Hopefully get a few more patches sorted tomorrow.

Any history on 69 VW Beetle XMV153G or 69 VW Bay Window XMG623G p.m. me, mucho appreciated :)

Old 07-03-2010, 09:23 PM   #4
Nick-Rackham
Chat Slapper

Had a look at sorting the drivers door today. Wouldn't shut without lifting. Looks like a previous repair (welded over the screw holes!) wasn't done right!

Looks like it's time to do the heater channel too...

QUESTION - Is this the correct heater channel for a 69? one on the other side doesn't have the vents at the front, but a hole in the door opening! hmmm.... Any and all advice appreciated

So out comes the patches...

Any history on 69 VW Beetle XMV153G or 69 VW Bay Window XMG623G p.m. me, mucho appreciated :)
Old 07-03-2010, 09:23 PM   #5
Nick-Rackham
Chat Slapper

Then chopped out the rear and centre parts of the heater channel...

Hoping to get the front part out tomorrow

Old 07-03-2010, 09:47 PM   #6
misterecks
I'm not an addict... honest!

Trading feedback: (2)

Nice little project you have there, good to see your doing it properly as well

Re the heater channels, I don't think they are correct for a 69 (not sure about 1200s though) it might be you have a 68 there. Is the bonnet release in the glove box or under the dash? If it is a 68 they are correct as far as I know.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My 69 bug resto thread
Part I
Part II
Part III
misterecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:17 PM   #7
Nick-Rackham
Chat Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterecks View Post
Nice little project you have there, good to see your doing it properly as well

Re the heater channels, I don't think they are correct for a 69 (not sure about 1200s though) it might be you have a 68 there. Is the bonnet release in the glove box or under the dash? If it is a 68 they are correct as far as I know.

Thanks Looking at it, I was going to do a quick patch and use as a daily, but not much point if I'd have to do it all again in another 6 months or so! Took me 2 nights to read your thread INSPIRATIONAL Wish I'd read it before I started! with hindsight I'd have gone for a full panelfor that side, but had already ordered all the seperates! nightmare to stitch together! and now the rear chassis bracket / plate won't fit! hmmmm.... maybe a bit of fudging and fettling will get it there!

It's an early 69, Feb I think, have to check it's birth certificate! The bonnet release is in the right side of the glove box. Cheers, Nick

Old 07-03-2010, 10:23 PM   #8
misterecks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick-Rackham View Post
Thanks Looking at it, I was going to do a quick patch and use as a daily, but not much point if I'd have to do it all again in another 6 months or so! Took me 2 nights to read your thread INSPIRATIONAL Wish I'd read it before I started! with hindsight I'd have gone for a full panelfor that side, but had already ordered all the seperates! nightmare to stitch together! and now the rear chassis bracket / plate won't fit! hmmmm.... maybe a bit of fudging and fettling will get it there!

It's an early 69, Feb I think, have to check it's birth certificate! The bonnet release is in the right side of the glove box. Cheers, Nick
Thanks dude, never thought I'd be an insperation

Defo a 69 then, wrong channels. Heater outlet should be under the door aperture.

I know what you are saying about the rear quarters. I started out with all the small panels but had nothing to weld them to

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My 69 bug resto thread
Part I
Part II
Part III
Old 07-03-2010, 10:30 PM   #9
Nick-Rackham
Chat Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterecks View Post
Thanks dude, never thought I'd be an insperation

Defo a 69 then, wrong channels. Heater outlet should be under the door aperture.

I know what you are saying about the rear quarters. I started out with all the small panels but had nothing to weld them to
That rear arch was the first with a mig! all my welding experience is with a stick on chassis stuff!! not easy welding tinfoil!! Looking at the channel, looks like a replacement! loads of really dodgy patches and plates everywhere! mostly with weld round the edges and pop rivets holding them on!! then the filler to make it look good!

Can't afford the genuine channels so is it worth popping the repo's apart and painting them up properly, weld up and then put them in? Cheers, Nick

Old 07-03-2010, 11:02 PM   #10
misterecks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick-Rackham View Post
Can't afford the genuine channels so is it worth popping the repo's apart and painting them up properly, weld up and then put them in? Cheers, Nick
I think that's what I'd do, for the sake of a few hours with the spot weld drill. A mate had a repro channel rot out from new in five years

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My 69 bug resto thread
Part I
Part II
Part III
Reply Post New Thread