Pembrokeshire 58 ragtop bug resto - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Readers Rides

Readers Rides Post pics, specs and build-up stories of your vehicles - or even your garages here. Also interesting stuff about your 'daily drivers' etc. or interesting cars you have seen on your travels, even motors-based TV shows you can recommend. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 10:46 AM   #1
skyelectrix
Wannabe Chat Slut

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (4)

Default Pembrokeshire 58 ragtop bug resto

Right!

Here we have the start of my latest project...i say latest but i haven't had a beetle project since finishing the 3 year body off build of my cal looker back in '92, but's that's another story! Since then i've had numerous beetles, a '65 split bus, '76 panel van '72 westfalia, '70 trekker, 3 x T4's, '03 New beetle and a SWB buggy but after building a new workshop and selling my 911 i felt that i needed something to put in it, so along came the '58. many of you will have seen this car (it was for sale on here).

anyway a brief history...the car, a LHD 1958 bug with Golde sunroof minus chassis was bought last month from Lee Ivatt..he has let me know what he knows about the car....

e-mail from Lee...

Hi

Cant wait to see the progress, its going to look amazing when done im sure.

The only Info I have is

It was built/converted to a scooby bug buy TSR racing (the guys who do the vw dragracing).
It was Andy's (the boss of tsr) personal car, and was intended to be a demonstration car at all the big vw events.

Due to time and being a personal project the 58 went to the back of the que on the 'to do' list, and when the doors, boot and bonnet got stolen during the respray it was the final straw. He removed the running gear and fitted it to a customers bus

He sold me the rolling shell at the beggining of this year, and as you know I had every intention of continuing with the build.

I decided not to carry on with the build, as I could not see my self using the the car when finished. And to do the car proud and do it right, would meen spending more money than id get back. So I decided to break it.

The scooby engine id sauced, sold on ebay.
The 67 chassis which was converted to IRS I sold privatley on Here.
And obviously you had the shell.

The only other information I have is that Before Andy owned the car, it used to belong to Cambridge Football club. Im not sire if it was on its 58 chassis here or not though.

I did probe andy for some more information, but this is all he seemed to know about the cars history before he had it.

Here is a link to the tsr website, if you click on the picture of the 58 bug you can see it here when it was up and running a scooby engine.
http://www.tsrengineconversions.co.uk/case_studies.aspx

Thats all I know mate. I dont think youll get anymore info out of andy, as I never did after asking a few times!! Though it may be worth a long shot and contacting the football club!

Lookfoward to the thread mate!

There is a link to the Vzi page here
https://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=656363

The plan is to build a resto cal keeping the bodywork and trim standard but adding some mechanical mods such as disc brakes, lowered suspension and a hot motor hopefully a 2.3 type 4!

First job has been to source some of the parts needed which is when i discovered how difficult some of these early parts are to find! but have with the help of some fab folk on here found some bits already, thanks to you who have helped so far! what a great thing VZi is...if only it was about back in the day....

The '58 in the workshop

I've decided the only way to go is to build the car up and then disassemble to paint. i also have to fit all the panels to check alignment for the new front and rear ends as the car was cut to allow a subaru engine and front mounted radiator.

Replacement bonnet and engine lid fitted

i thought i'd start on the front of the car. the valance, inner wings and spare wheel well will need to be replaced to return the car to 'stock'. i've also found some accident damage to the offside which will have to be sorted too!

Right! best get out there and do some more!

jay

Last edited by skyelectrix; 31-01-2012 at 11:21 AM..
skyelectrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:43 PM   #2
Lee Ivatt
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (0)

Will be keeping a very close eye on this one

Have you tried Pre67 forum, I found it invaluable when I was restoring my 1949 standard trim split screen beetle.

They are very very stock on there, so maybe best to not mention any mods, but just that you need help finding parts.

Sadly parts are expensive these days, christ I paid 650 for a pair of 3 ribber semaphores for my 49 and theye needed restoring!!!

Luckily your parts are 58-63 so should be much more readily available than an early split.

KarmannKonARTISTkonnection will have most parts you need on the shlef but expect to pay top dollar.

Owen Warlow is also a handy contact, his Mrs lurkes on pre67 and sells/sources lots of earlier parts.

What Colour are you going for on the respray?
Old 10-09-2010, 04:13 PM   #3
skyelectrix
Wannabe Chat Slut

VZi Member Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Ivatt View Post
Will be keeping a very close eye on this one

Have you tried Pre67 forum, I found it invaluable when I was restoring my 1949 standard trim split screen beetle.

They are very very stock on there, so maybe best to not mention any mods, but just that you need help finding parts.

Sadly parts are expensive these days, christ I paid 650 for a pair of 3 ribber semaphores for my 49 and theye needed restoring!!!

Luckily your parts are 58-63 so should be much more readily available than an early split.

KarmannKonARTISTkonnection will have most parts you need on the shlef but expect to pay top dollar.

Owen Warlow is also a handy contact, his Mrs lurkes on pre67 and sells/sources lots of earlier parts.

What Colour are you going for on the respray?
thanks lee...have looked on pre 67 and bought some stuff off there...i'm sure it'll all turn up eventually!

as for colour...we are split between either a bahama/gulf blue, ceramic green or L397 Lavendel, the latter i think is more likely! it was a 1958 colour too according to pre 67 forum. and it's also apt as my mum grows lavender here on the farm!!

Old 10-09-2010, 04:17 PM   #4
skippy
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (1)

I'll be following this thread too. nice to see another early big window coming out.. when was she built Jay.

Must be a european model hence the semaphores.

Jon

skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:38 PM   #5
skyelectrix
Wannabe Chat Slut

VZi Member Sponsor

been in the workshop again yesterday and have made a little bit more progress!

as i removed the modified valance and inner wings etc it became apparent the car had had a bump to the front at some point. the spare wheel panel had a kink on the offside and there was a crease on the offside inner wing some 10 inches long and a good 1/2" deep. problem being it was right where the tank support box section was, so i had to drill out the spotwelds to remove the spare wheel panel and the box section and then bash it all back to shape!

i can weld all the panels back on when i manage to find a floorpan. thought it'd be better to bolt the body to the floorpan and check everything lines up before switching the welder on!

the front quarter panels didnt look right to me so i got the tape measure out and there was about an inch difference between the a post seam and the wing mounting at the bottom. so i started to sand.....yikes! about 1/2 inch of filler! which when removed, revealed this..

so i think it's probably a good idea to take the paint off around the other repairs on the car just to make sure it's all tickety-boo!

have also found a floorpan...will be hopefully collecting it this weekend
Old 10-09-2010, 04:50 PM   #6
skyelectrix
Wannabe Chat Slut

VZi Member Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy View Post
I'll be following this thread too. nice to see another early big window coming out.. when was she built Jay.

Must be a european model hence the semaphores.

Jon
cheers jon

i love the early big window cars and as everyone seems to be camper crazy at the mo, i thought it'd be nice to do a beetle. i did start looking for an oval but nothing was around...this car turned up and then low and behold after buying it a few ovals have surfaced! anyway i'm quite glad as i think these early big window cars definately have a charm of their own!

i'm not sure what year she is..i have no V5 and no chassis number either. i bought it as a shell with doors, wings, glass, bonnet and engine lid. the fella i bought it from reckons it's a '58. is there anyway of telling from body details?

are these cars are getting quite scarce now, yours is a 57, thats really early isnt it? how long you had it, did you have to do any work to it?

anyway i'm hopefully picking the floorpan up on sunday...just waiting to hear back
Old 10-09-2010, 04:56 PM   #7
skippy
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (1)

our's has a body number at the front near to brake fluid res.

Yeh believe they started in Aug '57 but not 100% sure.

Had ours since 2004 but never on the road.
started to restore it then changed to herbie but change of heart now putting it back to original well ish ..

they seemed to be quite scarce but seems to be an interest in them starting as i noticed a few people wanting them.

they are a bug all to their selves tho. a good mix of oval parts and later.. makes them more interesting i think.

skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 05:03 AM   #8
Lee Ivatt
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyelectrix View Post
cheers jon

i'm not sure what year she is..i have no V5 and no chassis number either. i bought it as a shell with doors, wings, glass, bonnet and engine lid. the fella i bought it from reckons it's a '58. is there anyway of telling from body details?

are these cars are getting quite scarce now, yours is a 57, thats really early isnt it? how long you had it, did you have to do any work to it?

anyway i'm hopefully picking the floorpan up on sunday...just waiting to hear back
Hi wow, has had a fair bit of work at some point on that front.

It will be quite intresting to see it come apart and back together.

As you know I bought the car from TSR, and all I did to it was source doors, bonnet and bootlid then sold it to you. So Its as much as a supprise to me, what youve found so far.

Im not sure if that crease was accident dammage, I think I seem to remember him telling me it was put there, something to do with the intercooler and radiator pipes I think as there was also a massive 6" hole cut out on the same side in the chassis fram head just infront of where the mastercylinder would be on a RHD chassis.

Looks like the body is in capable hands anyway.

As for date, again I was told its a 58, when I bought it, as it can be seen here on their website in the middle http://www.tsrengineconversions.co.uk/case_studies.aspx

I had a good friend look at it and he believes the door catch recess areas help to date it, as apparantly these changed in around 1960?
So it must be at least a 58 or 59.

I think also the heater channels are incorrect where the floor vents come out, though in not sure? should be a round hole I think?

Yes normally there is a date stamped in the front panel, in the little shelf bit where the washer bottle would sit. Maybe if you clean it up there may be a number under it?

As for chassis, it bolted up fine to the 67 pan it was mounted on.

what chassis do you have? as officially this will date the car, be nice if you had a 58/59 chassis!!!

Last edited by Lee Ivatt; 11-09-2010 at 05:06 AM..
Lee Ivatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:00 AM   #9
Flatfire
Seasoned Chat Slut

Even if there is a bit of work to be done it looks solid.

Its funny I looked at the 58 in the advert and went back to it tempted to buy and you got it
Well done and it looks like its in good hands

Looking forward to seeing the progress

Peter
Flatfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:19 AM   #10
skyelectrix
Wannabe Chat Slut

VZi Member Sponsor

i keep telling my self the car is fifty odd years old and will have a 'history' so i'm not expecting it to be like a brand new car! it's quite nice actually getting the car like this as you can see exactly what needs doing before having to unbolt it all! yes lee the heater channels are incorrect and thinking i might replace, but have heard they could be quite expensive......

off to devon on sunday to collect a '55 pan which be great as i can then get the front welded back on and also sort out the rear body mounts which also need repalcing as they are fabricated and i'm trying to make it stock..

hi peter, i actually saw the car on a ford forum before it came up for sale and found it quite interesting, so when it turned up on ebay it was like a kinda omen! i just had to have it and bought it blind! and i'm glad i did!
Reply Post New Thread