Garage find, 1970 1300 beetle project. - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Readers Rides

Readers Rides Post pics, specs and build-up stories of your vehicles - or even your garages here. Also interesting stuff about your 'daily drivers' etc. or interesting cars you have seen on your travels, even motors-based TV shows you can recommend. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts. Forum sponsored by VW Heritage

VW Heritage
Reply Post New Thread

Old 17-09-2010, 03:44 AM   #1
hicksy
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (0)

Default Garage find, 1970 1300 beetle project.

Hey all,

I have bitten the bullet and decided to start a thread on my impending project. His name is Frank (as christened by my girlfriend!)

Story goes like this, in January this year I go with my pal Jake to view his first bug. He takes me along as Ive always owned VW's and know a little about what Im looking for. Whilst he's looking around the car I start chatting to the owner and he mentions his old college mate still has 'his old beetle' but its has been sitting in a garage for over 10 years.
Of course, I am very interested and passed my details over for the guy to contact said college friend. As I get home, the friend (John) calls me and explains that the car is in bits after he and his brother took it to bits all one summer with an aim to restore the bug in 6 weeks. The rebuild never happened and the bug has sat in the garage since. WE agree a time for me to go to his folks house to view the car and see what was left of it!

This is what confronted me....

Good eh! Only a VW guy could get excited by this!

The car was all there, albeit in pieces, and all original with Matching numbers. The only work that was carried out was that all rust spots were ground down and given a good 'splodge' with red oxide, and the drivers floor pan was cut out and a new repro spot welded in.

Apart from that floorpan, the car has had no previous welding. It still has the original, un touched heat exchangers, inner wings and the rest of the bottom 6 inches.

John was not about for this viewing although we discussed on the phone that I was very interested (obviously), but not in a position to start a project now as I had just started my T25.
hicksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 03:49 AM   #2
hicksy
Seasoned Chat Slut

Roll on August, after finishing my van, and I contact John. He seems just as interested to sell as I am to buy. So after two further viewings and discussion we organise a weekend in august to complete the 'extraction'!

Here are where the pictures will take over!

Me lifting out the first panel on saturday morning. Look at my little grin!

All parts extracted and waiting to be swallowed by Bulli (the T25).

Perfect fit.

Old 17-09-2010, 04:03 AM   #3
hicksy
Seasoned Chat Slut

John threw this sweet roof rack into the deal too..

This is the badge 'Porta rack'. It is nearly the correct profile to the bug roof but not quite, and oly has 2 of the rubber feet. Can anyone tell me more information on it?

John saying goodbye to franks heart! John has a lot of love for this car and was sad to see it go as it is his first and only car! He had accepted though that it would have never been completed in his ownership and was happy to pass it on. The engine is 90% complete with only the alternator pulley being changed and the Heat exchangers being swapped for J-tubes.

Chassis the right way up with gearbox bolted up and wheels on with tyres inflated, all held air!

Frank all propped up and ready to accept his chassis once again!

And back on! Managed this with John, his Dad and I. Quite a feat! We did manage to drop Frank onto his rear valance at one point though, woops!

And here he is! The first time in 10 years he has been outside!

Old 17-09-2010, 04:44 AM   #4
hicksy
Seasoned Chat Slut

I have to quicky note that this was all done on the saturday, from 10am through to about 6! John and i called it a day once the body was on the chassis and Carried on on sunday......

Frank across the road from Bulli, waiting for my good mate Paul, (aka Paul66beetle), to come and A-frame him home for me! John is all the while taking some last piccys and wondering whether to keep him or not!

Well, the a-frame home was the scariest fecking thing I have ever done in my life (which is bad since I served in Iraq in 2003!). On towing frank 100yds down the road whilst I followed in the Van, it was noticed that the bug was steering furiously from left to right full lock each way, making the car impossible to pull.

After pulling over and checking all the links, steering and wheel bolts etc, Paul gave it another go to no avail. As we couldnt leave the car there, I made the command desicion to leave my van and get in the Bug and control the steering all the way home about 1 mile. It turns out that once I was in the car, my weight controlled the steering and it wouldnt wander, but by this time it was too late! Paul was off!
I had absolutely no chance of flagging him to stop (I was keeping low to avoid being noticed) so there I was travelling in a bug, held to its chassis by only 4 bolts, with no brakes, no seats and ancient tires that have only just been infated! The images of carnage running through my mind once we hit the main road were fecking scary!

Anyway, all turned out good, We got home, I changed my pants, we then unhitched the bug and planted him in front of my garage. Huge thanks to Paul for the tow.
So here is Frank at my place. I had to bolt the wings up and place in the lights just to see his little face!

On further inspection there are small hoes at either end of the heater channels, the heater channel base plate needs some metal and the front bulk head needs a bit of metal but nothing major at all!

Luckily all the panels I needed came with the deal, along with new wing fitting kits and and............a 130amp welder!!!!!! The thing has only ever been used to spot weld in that floorpan half and nothing else!

So what is my plan?

Well I have just been accepted to a night school welding class which is great news. Its a 10 week course (1 night a week) and covers the basics of all welding types. To that end I plan to do all the welding myself.
I will try to restore the original paint as best I can, I may touch up or just leave the marks but I am a fan of original paint and original everything really.
Other than that The car will just be cleaned up and used as it should. At this time I have no idea wether to go slammed or stock(with chunky treads) we will have to see whats franks tells me as I start the rebuild.

In the mean time I will not restore this car but retain its originality including cleaning all parts and replacing only when necessarry (much like Last Triumph is doing with his Oval)

Stay tuned as I would like to document this rebuild as well as take you guys along for the ride. I love to read other peoples projects and I hope you enjoy mine too!

Hicksy
Old 17-09-2010, 06:21 AM   #5
freddie89
I'm not an addict... honest!

Trading feedback: (7)

Awesome little story Glad your giving the book a chance of being on the road again!

I say slam it

Good luck!
freddie89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2010, 12:09 AM   #6
Campercrazybeetlenuts
Chat Slapper

I can think of many many upsides to stock with wide treads but really, can't think of any for slamming it! haha
so I say stock on this one... you won't break your back when going over a bump either

Good luck with that my friend! keep us posted
Old 18-09-2010, 10:41 AM   #7
greenbugboy
Wannabe Chat Slut

amazing, great find mate, get it on the road and get it in the weeds keep up the good work mate.
Old 18-09-2010, 11:05 AM   #8
Icky
Help! I'm trapped in here

you do find 'em, don't you!

good luck wi' it, leigh!!

'76 Devon Bay
'78 LT28 Westfailure Sven Hedin / Captain
'90 Golf GTi

1984 'Gulf' Volvo B10M/Vanhool Alizee
1994 LT35
1996 LT35
1979 LT28 Kemperink(which isn't actually green but green stands out more
And a boring mk4 golf...
Icky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2010, 12:16 PM   #9
hicksy
Seasoned Chat Slut

Thanks for all your nice comments guys. I was really lucky to hear about this and i cannot wait to start it!
I've always fancied a retro racer kind of look, but thats just the first of many plans and ideas Im sure!

Im in the US right now so there wont be any updates for a week, but since that last pic I have given him a wash and sorted out my garage further so I can start straight away when I get back.
I did try and Tcut some of the paint and so far it has com up well which is good news, but in the long term I will use some techniques to remove the red oxide without harming the OG paint and then wetsand and polish it all up!
Old 18-09-2010, 12:33 PM   #10
TravisPrice2
Wannabe Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hicksy View Post
Stay tuned as I would like to document this rebuild as well as take you guys along for the ride.
great find will definitely stay tuned

Readers Ride Thread <<Click Me!

Instagram: @TravisMk1
TravisPrice2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread