Unfinished project 67 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Readers Rides

Readers Rides Post pics, specs and build-up stories of your vehicles - or even your garages here. Also interesting stuff about your 'daily drivers' etc. or interesting cars you have seen on your travels, even motors-based TV shows you can recommend. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 26-05-2011, 02:14 PM   #1
flc
Wannabe Chat Slut

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (4)

Default Unfinished project 67

I was looking for a tax/tested drivable bug but my budget would only stretch to barely alive money pits, so i lowered my excpectations. And came across this
its had thousands spent on new 1/4 pannels all round,wings/lids/doors channels etc
but not all finished welded, i may have a bought another mans headache but at least its rust free....
at the moment its outside whilst i extend my garage
all rest of the bits are stashed anywhere i can put them hopping to have the garage base layed this week.
flc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 02:28 PM   #2
dubbertobe
I'm not an addict... honest!

Trading feedback: (1)

cool, keep the pics coming

O of both garage and car
Old 30-06-2011, 01:22 AM   #3
flc
Wannabe Chat Slut

VZi Member Sponsor

Well after what feels like years, i can see the end in sight (of the garage extension) i have managed to do all the work on my own (not recomended) to save more cash for the car.
A few pics
before

and after

a bit of wirring left to do and a bit of wood stain and its on with the car

Last edited by flc; 30-06-2011 at 01:32 AM.. Reason: problems with picture posting

Old 07-07-2011, 01:58 AM   #4
flc
Wannabe Chat Slut

VZi Member Sponsor

The engine lid is a re pop piece of cheap junk and has fought me hard... i finally gave up and fitted stand offs

at least now you cant see how badly it (doesn't) follow the curves of the car. i did manage to massage the rear wings to an acceptable fit.
i should really have been finishing the wiring up of the garage but keep getting side tracked.

Last edited by flc; 29-09-2012 at 12:15 AM..
Old 07-07-2011, 11:29 AM   #5
Zebedee
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (6)

Looks like you've got yourself a good project there.
Garage looks good too.
Zebedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2011, 12:33 PM   #6
flc
Wannabe Chat Slut

VZi Member Sponsor

Managed to get some paint down. looks like a real work shop
Old 14-07-2011, 01:01 PM   #7
Vee.Dubster
I really must get out more

Trading feedback: (5)

Nice to see another '67 returning to the road

However, is that the original '67 engine lid in the third photo? The car really should still be wearing that, the nice thing about a '67 are the one-year only bits.
2005 VW New Beetle Cabriolet
2011 Skoda Octavia Scout
2018 VW Up! GTi

Got a '67 Bug? then join our group
https://www.volkszone.co.uk/VZi/group.php?groupid=62

That would look lovely with a coat of paint and the sagging suspension fixed... :D
Vee.Dubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2011, 01:51 PM   #8
hicliner
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (0)

Great looking project mate. And great to see another 67 bug coming back to life.
Old 15-07-2011, 01:28 AM   #9
flc
Wannabe Chat Slut

VZi Member Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee.Dubster View Post
Nice to see another '67 returning to the road

However, is that the original '67 engine lid in the third photo? The car really should still be wearing that, the nice thing about a '67 are the one-year only bits.
It is but the car didn't come with the valance, Im on the look out for a 67 rear valance but they are all hidding, any one got one knocking about???? or know where i can get one ????
Old 20-07-2011, 02:06 AM   #10
flc
Wannabe Chat Slut

VZi Member Sponsor

Still no joy finding a valance as yet but am on a mission...
started out to fit these today.....

with a cautionary tale i pulled off the drivers side drum.... came off a bit easy ,didnt think too much about it and swapped in the drop spindle, refitted the drum (no problems) to find that the track rod ends are the smaller type (and the spindles are the bigger ones) no problem i will order some, then onto the passenger side got it all buttoned up just leaving the drum to fit...
and it wont go on???? the bearing is 27mm and the shaft is 29mm??? i tried the bearing on the old drivers spindle and it slides on ok??? making me think the drivers is 27mm and the nearside is 29mm maybe for the speedo cable im not sure,
so i called the supplier up and to there credit
they check all options and call me back to say they not sure what has happened they should both be 29's, but they will collect the spindles and replace with a pair off correct 29mm ones.... so after work tonight i start stripping them off and measure as i go the drivers bearing and spindle diameter IS 29mm..... oh dear this means that sometime in the past some po has fitted a f##king 29mm bearing on a 27mm shaft only getting away with due to the shoulder holding it square

so now i have the lovely task of calling the supplier in the morning to tell them im a thick twat and not to sack the inspector and no need to send a courier and can i pleeese have a 29mm bearing kit and a pair of track rod ends and thanks for being patient whilst dealing with a complete f##kwit oh the joys of egg on your face..

Last edited by flc; 20-07-2011 at 02:09 AM..
Reply Post New Thread