My buggy build. - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Readers Rides

Readers Rides Post pics, specs and build-up stories of your vehicles - or even your garages here. Also interesting stuff about your 'daily drivers' etc. or interesting cars you have seen on your travels, even motors-based TV shows you can recommend. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts. Forum sponsored by VW Heritage

VW Heritage
Reply Post New Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 09:35 PM   #1
Ben_W
I'm not an addict... honest!

Trading feedback: (7)

Default My buggy build.

Thought it about time I started a build diary, for my own records if nothing else!!

It started with me buying a full rolling 1970 1200 Beetle chassis from Manxdavid. A loan of the old man's car ( as he has a towbar and I don't!!) and a hired trailer added to a jaunt to the Wirral saw me with the chassis back on my drive, much to the wifes concern......

A fairly solid chassis, just needed a clean up really with only a very small amount of rust in the pan corners that ended up getting cut out as part of the shortening process...

A couple of weekends work on the gearbox once i had got it off took it from this

to this

A stripdown of the chassis followed before it went off to John Gurney for him to work his magic, shortening it, replacing the framehead bottom plate, renewing the fuel line and welding 2 sway aways into the front beam. Superb service and price and a really nice guy to deal with. Thanks John.

So, the chassis looks like this as I type:

A rather lucky ebay win yielded some genuine american centerline alloys in a 5" pcd chevy pattern. Need a refurb and some new tyres but still an absolute steal for the price i paid for them.

Blank drums for the rear and some redrilled fronts, coupled with some studs from Mr T's Nuts and ill be in business.
Ben_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:36 PM   #2
Ben_W

Finally got the key thing for the angle grinder off my mate, meaning i could get the blade off and the wire brush on. Once id sorted some goggles (and im so glad i did), 4 hours straight of wire brushing took it back to abre metal all over, leaving it looking something like this...

and leaving me looking like this...

The wife was not best pleased with the state of the shower once i was finished. It took 3 attempts to finally get all the dirt off/out of me and probs something similar for the shower....... :shock:

Anyhoo, once i was clean, fed and watered (after dinner...!) I cracked on with getting some primer onto the underside. I ended up using Hammerite anti rust primer. Its nearly done, though the bottom half still needs another coat or two as it still looks a little stripey. Really pleased with how its gone on though. Very very easy to use, the finish is fantasic ( to the point where it will probably only need a key and nothing else)

Looks like this atm...

Old 05-08-2011, 09:37 PM   #3
Ben_W

John did tell me the frame head bottom was a mess though. Seems it had been plated/welded 2-3 times previously and the original bottom plate (which had more holes than a block of swiss cheese) was still under it all but ended up getting swept up!!! Its all solid now though as the corner bits were cut out as it was shortened.

Ive done most of the cuts i need to the seat runners, just have a couple left to do when ive finished painting the bottom. John recommended leaving them on as long as possible to keep some strength in the pans.

Gave it the first coat of smooth hammerite black tonight. I had to paint some stairs at work Friday night and used the same stuff and was very impressed with the way it went on, even with a brush, and ended up very smooth (to the point where you couldnt see any brush marks) and given its 8 year guarentee against rust, i thought why not.

Just a quick pic as i finished up tonight but i think it looks very good already.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:38 PM   #4
Ben_W

Pan flipped over and I got busy with the seat runners which are now gone. Cut them off and ground them flat to the flat bottoms of them which I've left in place to add a bit of strength. I guess this is how everyone does it??

Anyway, with that done, I gave it a quick once over with the wire brush on the grinder and then got it primed. Again, Hammerite rust proof primer all over, especially on the bits where it had been shortened and wherever it had been welded. Pan got a couple of coats of that all over, then topped off with a layer of normal primer. As it stands, it looks like this..

Next stage will be to paint it. Not sure whether to use some more Hammerite smooth as per the underside or attempt to try and get a decent finish with some rattle cans of a black gloss paint.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:39 PM   #5
Ben_W

Right, finally got my ample arse in gear once we had done all the holiday shopping....

Pan topside is painted. Well, first coat anyway. Ended up using Tekaloid coach enamel and i must say, im pretty impressed with it and how its gone on. Makes the hammerite smooth look amateur!!

Bought a very good brush to paint it on with and it has made a difference i think. Anyways, having read about the stuff, i stood it in a pan of boiling water to warm up first. Certainly went on very easily, so must be worth doing. Decent wet edge time and with some careful brush application, no brush marks at all. Really pleased. Have noticed ive got a bit of a run so gonna let it dry and then wet and dry it flat and probably do another coat. Not enough room in the garage so ended up doing it out on the drive. Warm, still night but there appear to be several suicidal greenfly whihc are going to need removing once dry........ :roll:

Anyways, the pics...

Im really pleased with how its come out at the mo. Should hopefully look even better once a second coat it on.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:39 PM   #6
Ben_W

Right,

Another busy weekend on the pan.

Main job was stripping off all the paint that had reacted with the laquer. Thats done but as i was doing a bit more work on the pan, ive not painted it up again yet.

Main job this weekend was sort all the brake lines. Ended up buying a kit from Status VW and spent this afternoon bending the pipes to shape and getting it all fitted up. The other main job was to run the front to rear pipe through the spine. Two hole drilled, one in the side of the framehead and one at the rear gave the access. A heath robinson affair consisting of a garden cane and an old bike brake cable gave me the means to get the pipe threaded through the chassis. Had to cut one end of the pipe off but ill be remaking that shortly. Bit of a swine to do, but its in. Im going to take it out again and sleeve it with a silicon tube to ensure it doesnt rub and then i need to get some grommits for where it enters and exits the spine (They had run out on saturday)

Pleased wih the pipes, tried to keep the bends nice and neat.

OTher jobs i got done were to paint the drive shaft tubes. Been meaning to do that for ages.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:42 PM   #7
Ben_W

Thats my build in a couple of short posts!!!

Only other bits ive done so far are to clean up the trailing arms and tie rods and paint them up. Hopefully all the bits for the front end disc conversion should be here tomorrow giving me something to do this weekend other than the wifes birthday and Tatton Park!!

The pan needs another coat thanks to the moths and the beam need painting. Other than that, the chassis is almost ready for a rebuild.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:21 AM   #8
manx1641
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (1)

Looks like your doing a good job of that, you might want to clip those brake lines down incase you get caught for a "the test", buggies are getting harder to build these days.

keep up the good work.
manx1641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:23 PM   #9
Ben_W

Right, todays plan was to go to Tatton Park. However, was the wifes birthday yesterday and i took her out for dinner...........which turned into a right old session.

7:30 am this morning and im still pissed so thought better of driving today which was a real shame.

Anyways, i thought id get over the hangover by doing a bit more on my buggy outside. First up was clean up the framehed inspection cover Mel sent me and whack some paint on it. That was only a 10 minute job.

I then set about beginning to strip down the calipers i picked up. Managed to get the pins out and removed the pads. Hard part was getting the nuts undone to split the halves. After much huffing and puffing, i got them apart. Promptly to be covered in old brake fluid!! :roll: Anyways, got the retaining clips and outerseals out, but the pistons aint moving at all. I need to get them hooked up to a high pressure air line to see if i can get them out that way. Failing that, the grease gun approach. Gonna soak them over night in diesel to see if that frees them off.

The calipers...

Once id done with those, it was time to put the gearbox back together. Stared with the diff side cover plates. New rubber seals put into the side plates and new seals to go between gearbox/side plate. Bit of a pain trying to get both sides on and keep them square but its done and bolted up. Then put the axle tubes on. Bit of confusion about which way they go but figured it out by looking at old pics of the chassis!! Again, new seals at the gearbox end. Still got the bopots to do but im waiting on some jointing compound.

I got the box back onto the chassis tonight. Struggling with getting the spring plates to line up with the axle tubes but im guessing thats because there is no weight on the suspension.

Anyways, thats it for today. I need to get another coat of Tekaloid on my front beam and some more on the chassis to get rid of the moth marks! Jobs for in the week though. Time for a shower, dinner and some red wine!
Old 07-08-2011, 09:24 PM   #10
swelly
Wannabe Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (0)

Great effort. Interested because I will be doing this very soon on my Beetle.

Keep going!

Swelly