Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve never been one for documenting what I get up to with my cars but this bug I’ve just acquired is pretty special having only had two lady owners from new who were friends, after I collected it on the long drive home the clock just clicked onto 90000 miles.

It’s got some great light patina so I’d like to try and preserve it whilst driving it through the winter however it’s done so few miles in the last 30 years that it has had no time spent on it and needs lots of little jobs doing.

The plan was to keep it completely standard, I’ve got another ‘67 beetle thats modified, but I can already perhaps see myself changing out the front beam to drop the front a little whilst keeping the old one with the car.

I’ve never owned a completely stock bug before and it drives really nicely as it is 😁

That’s it!

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took the petrol tank out on Friday to sort the tracking, a garage replaced a couple of tie rod ends many years ago and reindexed the steering wheel, so it turned further one way than the other, one of my pet peeves with these vehicles, my other bug was the same after the PO changed the beam 🙄
It was the first time the tank had ever been out and the fuel hose split whilst removing it so I was pleased to replace that at the same time.
The brake reservoir hose was similarly crusty so I replaced that as well and removed the foam pad from under it that holds brake fluid and attracts moisture.
The washer bottle/brake reservoir panel has some corrosion but it’s original metal so I’ll treat it as best I can to slow the rust.
The spare wheel well and front valance are original so I’ll do the same and try and keep corrosion at bay.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’ve put fitting a dual circuit master cylinder on the to do list, I’ve got the correct fitting aftermarket ‘67 dual circuit brake reservoir to go on that I never used on my other bug.

I did a valve adjustment and someone in the past has been a bit heavy handed with the adjuster nuts, they were tight as f**k and a bit out of shape so I might replace them at some point.

My buddy Luke popped over and we put the bug on ramps to do an oil change and adjust the clutch as well as to get a good look at underside of it to see if it needs any attention. Pleasingly it’s in really good shape under there but I’m going to drop the engine before the winter to change the flywheel oil seal and will probably chuck a new clutch in at the same time if needed.

The engine has no excessive end float which is awesome.

Anyone got any suggestions on how to treat the rust in and around the front valance without painting it? I‘m thinking I’ll rub it back lightly, hover out any dust and Ankor Wax it.

Luke suggested I try this stuff which looks like it might be perfect and potentially better than Ankor Wax.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The drivers door handle and lock mechanism had been swapped out over the years, not the best design these ‘67 locks in terms of durability. I had original keys for the ignition and engine lid and one separate key for the drivers door.

The replacement drivers door handle was a chrome Huf type handle which should have some value to someone, I had a bit of time this evening, a ‘67 stainless handle and a couple of spare lock barrels in the garage so I re-keyed the barrel on the stainless handle and now all the locks match. Nice 😊

Saba banana Blue Wood Fruit Finger

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I tidied up the area under the battery and put the kick boards and rear floor mat back in, the floor pan is amazing given its age, thought I’d pop the inspection cover off to see what the gear rod coupler bushes were like and they need doing along with the gear shift rod bush eveidently 😂 I’ve got both on the way.
Automotive tire Tread Road surface Asphalt Automotive lighting

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Absolutly love this having a 67 1500 myself, amazing that it's survived all this time and going by the battery is still 6V! I wouldnt change a thing on that. Is the paint original? If so it's outstanding. Keep the updates coming :)

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Jim, thank you! The wings and doors have been resprayed and it’s had the odd patch repair on the sills but the body and front and rear valances etc are in original paint, floor pans, bulk head etc are really good. I’ll try and keep this thread up to date.

The plan is to do whatever I can to slow down the inevitable rot and drive it, we were going to buy a small electric run about but a second beetle seemed more sensible 😂

My other ‘67 is fairly heavily messed about with, I’ve got a gearbox and home built engine to go in that one when I can make time….

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Removed the running boards this afternoon to sort the surface rust out under the rubbers before spraying a load of cavity wax into the channels and refitting them. I’ve had a good look to see if the boards are VW stamped and can’t find anything but they’re good and heavy and it will be nice to reuse them rather than replace them.

Plant Wood Road surface Rectangle Outdoor furniture

Publication Office supplies Book Font Stationery

·
Registered
1974 1200
46 Posts
Hey Jim, thank you! The wings and doors have been resprayed and it’s had the odd patch repair on the sills but the body and front and rear valances etc are in original paint, floor pans, bulk head etc are really good. I’ll try and keep this thread up to date.

The plan is to do whatever I can to slow down the inevitable rot and drive it, we were going to buy a small electric run about but a second beetle seemed more sensible 😂

My other ‘67 is fairly heavily messed about with, I’ve got a gearbox and home built engine to go in that one when I can make time….

View attachment 301714
looks very nice

1 - 20 of 57 Posts