Volkszone Forum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I rebuilt the front right headlamp this morning as the seal had perished, having rebuilt a fair few sloping lights I was expecting a bit more of a fight but the seal from Custom and Commercial was an awesome fit, very straightforward and done before breakfast. Gear shift linkage and coupler bushes this morning and running boards back on fingers crossed 🤞

Vision care Automotive lighting Eyewear Eye glass accessory Wood

Textile Wood Grey Material property Eyewear

Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Hood Grille Headlamp

Table Dishware Drinkware Kitchen utensil Tableware

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
So after the headlight went so well and I’d dropped my daughter to school I got stuck into the gear shift linkage and shift rod bush, what a saga that turned out to be. I must have changed shift rod bushes ten times or more, last one I changed was just a couple of months ago and it was all done in 30 minutes or so.

The rod bush I first tried to fit was too tight, far too tight I must have taken it out checked everything over and refitted it three or four times but every time I tried to push the shift rod back through the bush it had too much resistance and was impossible to slide back through the tunnel once located in the bush.

I was also reluctant to disturb the tan rubber floor mats in the front of the car as they are very crispy and fragile and completely impossible to replace as they’ve not been made for 40 years or more, as much as it pained me to do it the best course of action was to cut around the gear shifter and I was right to do so as it just crumbled….. I think new aftermarket matts are on the cards at some point in the future.

I phoned my local GSF in desperation to see if they had a bush on the shelf, they had one in Swindon and managed to get it to Bristol for 5pm all for the princely sum of £1.98 and guess what it fitted perfectly first time 😁

In other news the running boards are original which makes them worth saving I think, sadly that could be a couple of hours work per side but I’m going to give it a go.

Automotive tire Road surface Wood Grey Water

Automotive tire Grey Rectangle Line Floor

Car Motor vehicle Blue Vehicle Vehicle door

Table Wood Metal Silver Fashion accessory

Automotive tire Bicycle tire Wood Bicycle part Rim

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Yeah, it didn’t take me long to realise that there’s absolutely no chance of getting a set of brown rubber mats to match. I could change them front and back to black or order a brown carpet set from newton commercial which is probably my preferred option.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I made some time to refit the running boards and they’re looking a lot better 😁 I’ve been driving into the evening last couple of days and the head lights are very good but the indicators are terrible so trouble shooting them is next on my to do list along with dropping the engine, changing all the seals and probably fitting a new clutch whilst it’s out.
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I’d like to paint the wheels either black or the same dark grey as the steering wheel before fitting new
tyres, the current tyres don’t even have dot stamped dates on them which makes them possibly nearly as old as the car 😳 I also need to find a genuine hub cap to match the three originals as one is reproduction.

·
Saddest VZi'er 2020
6,804 Posts
Lovely looking car you have there. Personally, I'd be keeping it as stock as possible as examples as straight as that are becoming increasingly difficult to find. I'd also be a bit leery of daily driving it through the winter. Salty roads and beetles are not a recipe for a long life. It would be a real shame to see such a well preserved survivor dissolve in front of your eyes.

Whatever, keep us posted. (y)

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Lovely looking car you have there. Personally, I'd be keeping it as stock as possible as examples as straight as that are becoming increasingly difficult to find. I'd also be a bit leery of daily driving it through the winter. Salty roads and beetles are not a recipe for a long life. It would be a real shame to see such a well preserved survivor dissolve in front of your eyes.

Whatever, keep us posted. (y)
Thank you and yup I agree about keeping it stock.

The worst I’d do to it would be a beam swap to lower it a touch but would keep the original complete beam with the car to refit if ever I sold it, I’m torn between that and reindexing the rear torsion bars to raise it perhaps 1” at the back as it has sagged a bit over the years like they all do post ’66

Being the only truly stock beetle I’ve owned I’m really impressed with how nice to drive the engine and gearbox are in this car, the distributor and carb work really well together so it’s smooth and it has plenty of go.

On that note I removed the carb and gave it a little check over and blow out in preparation for a rebuild, kit ordered, it’s leaking from the throttle spindle a touch but there’s a couple of places I can send it to to be reamed out and have some bushes made to fit, watch this space. I’ve got a spare carb I can fit while this is being sorted.

I’ve driven all my Beetles year round so I’ve done a lot of prep the last few days with bilt hamber cavity protection and some good preventative paint on the sills etc, I would say that we‘re fortunate enough to have access to plenty of vehicles so this won’t see huge mileage 👍

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I was all set to drop the engine out on Friday to change all the seals and clutch if needed but had to go into work as my business partner fell off his bike and ended up in hospital on Thursday evening, he’s ok but we might not see him for a few days or more which has made me too busy to make time to do anything on this bug sadly. Ill update soon after the Bristol Swapmeet 😁

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I made a little time this morning to pop it up on my ramps, the plan was just to get the heat exchangers working as the cable that operates the drivers side had broken, it took no time to pop a new cable so I then stood looking at it and decided to get on with dropping the engine even though I probably didn’t have the time.

The clutch has been juddering a bit particularly when cold which made me suspect that it is probably beyond its wear limit or contaminated or both. There’s a fair bit of oil on the sump of this engine that has come from behind the flywheel and from a couple of push rod tubes…

Its been a while since I removed an engine on my drive so I had to make a wooden platform for the jack, which took me half an hour or so, I was pretty certain from looking at the nuts and bolts i removed that the engines never been out before and the clutch being date stamped 10/67 pretty much confirmed that.

The exhaust is VW stamped but dated 9/97 so I don’t feel so bad about having to get a bit heavy handed removing it 🙄

I was going to stay in my van at the Bristol Swapmeet tonight but having only finished up an hour or so ago I’m going to stay home and cook myself something nice. Few photos below.

Land vehicle Vehicle Sky Vehicle registration plate Car

Automotive tire Blue Motor vehicle Gas Machine

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I guess so, whilst still being 6v this has a 200mm clutch and a 132 tooth flywheel with the o ring which I think was a first on the ‘67 1500.

Theres a lot of oil on the back of the flywheel so I’ll obviously change the seal, it’s done pretty well for 90,000 miles 🙌 I enjoy changing them it’s a nice straightforward and strangely satisfying job, I just can’t decide whether to get the flywheel resurfaced or not before fitting the new clutch…

·
Registered
6,358 Posts
Make sure they do both faces. What ever they take off the main clutch surface they need to take the equal amount off the cover plate mounting face too. Some machine shops will not do this unless asked.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts