Volkszone Forum banner
101 - 120 of 136 Posts

· Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Don’t tell anyone but GSF have pairs of TRW calipers available with pads for less than the cost of fixing mine up which is a no brainier really.

Just need to find a good quality dual circuit master cylinder for a sensible price now as thats been on the to do list since I bought it…..

· Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Land vehicle Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Road surface Asphalt Wood Sidewalk Flooring

Table Plant Wood Rectangle Outdoor furniture

Bag Luggage and bags Sleeve Musical instrument accessory Material property

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Blue

Car Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Wheel

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Grille Automotive design

Wheel Tire Liquid Automotive tire Hood

Got Covid in Milan for the second time running! 😂

We’re staying home so as not to spread it about, my helper treated the underside of the petrol tank with hydrate 80 while I removed the rear window. I gravity bled the calipers before fitting them and then gave the whole brake system a proper flush through, the fluid that came out was pretty awful, adjusted the rear drum brakes before bleeding.

I caught the water ingress around the rear window just in time I reckon, it needed a little sand, hydrate 80 and then epoxy mastic in one corner to seal it up, cleaned the rear luggage tray carpet nicely and dried it out, fitted a new West Coast Metric window seal and reused the chrome trim, need to sand and paint the surface rust on the luggage tray but want to get her water tight again first.

Rear windows ready to go back in tomorrow once the second coat of EM has dried, happy days!

· Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Thought I may as well whip the windscreen out as well and get a new WCM seal in there, it took me a good hour to fit the new seal and trim but just ten minutes to put the window in with the help of a friend.

I Bilt Hambered the inner front quarters and fitted a new WCM bonnet seal whilst I was at it.

Back on the road very soon 😁

Sleeve Automotive tire Hat Luggage and bags Bag

· Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
I fitted some new inertia seatbelts in grey yesterday to match the colour of the old static three point belts which were annoying my wife and tricky to use with a child seat.

The carpets I ordered look nice and kind of match the colour of the old rubber mat but not the surrounding original carpet, I might in time fit the whole set and keep the original carpet with the car or at least fit the tunnel section, which I would have popped in yesterday if I had time but it comes out the box cut for the handbrake but not the gearstick and I couldn’t be doing with the faffing late in the day.

Few pictures….

Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Steering wheel

Rectangle Automotive exterior Automotive design Bumper Gas

Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

· Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
I also spent some time chasing indicator gremlins yesterday, all the lamps function correctly when the indicator stalk is pressed but they don’t want to flash or at least if they do it’s very intermittent so I’ve ordered a new indicator relay to fit before pulling the switch apart. I’ve found a few new SWF replacement switches so that might be the back up if needed, I wonder what the quality is like, I don’t know if any of you have fitted one?

The rear light clusters have been fudged in the past where someone’s been unable to remove them without stripping the bolts so I took them off, treated a bit of rust in one and refitted them, the drain holes were blocked allowing water to sit in there, glad I sorted that before winter hits.

Finally I got around to treating the surface rust in the spare wheel well with a quick rub down and some hydrate 80, it’s getting cold out there now and nothings drying so it will be a few days until I can paint it or cavity wax it.

Automotive lighting Hood Green Azure Motor vehicle

Car Vehicle Land vehicle Green Hood

· Registered
1974 1200
73 Posts
I fitted some new inertia seatbelts in grey yesterday to match the colour of the old static three point belts which were annoying my wife and tricky to use with a child seat.

The carpets I ordered look nice and kind of match the colour of the old rubber mat but not the surrounding original carpet, I might in time fit the whole set and keep the original carpet with the car or at least fit the tunnel section, which I would have popped in yesterday if I had time but it comes out the box cut for the handbrake but not the gearstick and I couldn’t be doing with the faffing late in the day.

Few pictures….

View attachment 303375
View attachment 303376
View attachment 303377
Looks nice

· Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
In my 1971 1302 it were the hazard switch that played up, when my indicators started on it own life.

It yours is the same. All the wiring for the indicators goes trough the hazard switch.
I think the hazards were perhaps an option in the UK in ‘67 as neither of mine have them :( In the US they got 12v, hazards and upright headlights 🙄

· Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
I had a very tricky drive home from work in this bug a couple of nights ago 🙁 when I started the engine it was missing and knocking a touch under acceleration, knowing the motor quite well I immediately thought it was something electrical and it took me a couple of minutes to work out the condenser was braking down.

I was able to wiggle the little wire in the bottom of the condenser drive for a couple of miles until the ignition crapped out again and repeat, at one point a friendly coach driver flicked his hazards on behind me to block the lane and gave me a hand pushing it a few meters into a lay-by while we had the “I used to own one of these“ conversations.

My wife was on standby to come out and meet me with a spare distributor but I was being stubborn and was kicking myself for not having it with me in the first place, it would have taken minutes to bolt on, what bothers me is that the broken Bosch condenser looked like it hadn’t been in the engine bay long :rolleyes:

I will still maintain that I’ve never broken down in an air cooled vehicle as I limped home but it was unnecessarily stressful and embarrassing particularly when I could have fixed it in minutes with a £5 part.

This bugs relatively new to me so I haven’t got a spares kit stashed in it yet, that’s my job for today.

Photo of the old condenser rolled out for a giggle, you can see where the aluminium is burnt a little at the end.

Carry spares guys.

Wood Flooring Floor Wood stain Wall

· Registered
195 Posts
I also spent some time chasing indicator gremlins yesterday, all the lamps function correctly when the indicator stalk is pressed but they don’t want to flash or at least if they do it’s very intermittent so I’ve ordered a new indicator relay to fit before pulling the switch apart. I’ve found a few new SWF replacement switches so that might be the back up if needed, I wonder what the quality is like, I don’t know if any of you have fitted one?

Ive had two of these now.
First one was 'regular' quality one and didnt last long at all. Actually a waste of money to be honest.
Then bought the 'quality' one which was significantly better made but has now also started messing up.
Turn left and it 'holds' then auto cancels but now I turn right and it wont 'catch' (I have to hold it whilst I turn which is a right PITA in London).
Havent been able to face getting the non stock steering wheel and boss off again to examine the cancelling ring and the mechanism in the indicator switch :rolleyes:
So annoying as I thought I HAD paid the dividend to make sure I wouldnt have to swap it (ever) again..

101 - 120 of 136 Posts