Volkszone Forum banner
681 - 700 of 724 Posts

·
Registered
13,088 Posts
Good luck with the move :)

My decision to go back to stock? It's complicated. :lol:

Firstly the cutting out problems had REALLY peed me off. I just didn't enjoy working on it. Getting to the fuel pump was a pita and left me stinking of diesel. I've had the car since 1991 and air cooled had never left me stranded. If something went wrong I'd fix it enough to get me home. When this engine broke down I had to be towed home. Three times. :mad:
I can understand that, more modern engines tend to often be total failure or total reliability, aircooled engines just seem to be a bit more durable, even though they arent because of the magnesium alloy cases.

Most reliable car I have ever had was a 1.8 petrol mk3 golf, single point injection and the only time it broke down in 45,000 miles/9 years of ownership was due to the coil failing. The RAC man actually had a spare on board and said realistically when he heard of a golf breaking down it was the only likely thing, my mechanic mate said the same!

Its why originally I was going to put a golf engine in my bug, slightly better on power and fuel, plus as reliable and a bit more, then TDis came along.

Then there are all the changes and proposed changes to the rules on classic cars. An alternate engine would be classed as a "significant change". Being a modern diesel, would that mean refitting the particle filter and possibly the egr valve? Would it even be allowed? I was nervous about all the uncertainty.
I dont think it'll be a problem, basically testing older cars, you can only test the vehicle to the year it was built not the engine, however when you build vehicles from scratch and get an IVA, they tend to base the vehicle around the year of the engine apparently:

Eg pre 78 vehicles its just a visual emissions inspection, pre 86 its visual + CO2 below 4% and so on.

So I'm not worried :)

Next reason is to do with the special I'm building. It is based on a 1966 car, just like my diesel. It needs disc brakes up front instead of the original drums that were on it. The diesel sat in the garage has discs and since I can't afford another set, I swapped the beams over. I did an irs conversion on the special which left me with an original 66 short axle gearbox. The box in the diesel was well and truly buggered ( no first gear, no synchro in second or third and jumps out of reverse). Then there was the "F code" 1300 engine I had taking up space on my garage floor. If ever I wanted to take my car back to original using the correct year parts, there would never be a better time.
Totally understandable, to be honest on my bug I am up-rating the rear brakes to type3 as well as those TDi lumps are a little bit heavier than stock!

Oh and I really like the "fweem " sound from a standard beetle exhaust!

Building the special is also quenching my thirst for being different!

So that's the complicated answer to the simple question!
theoretically beetle tail pipes shouldnt make any different noise if installed correctly, something I found out years ago as I have some decent ones and the car just makes a a very quiet sound bar maybe a little fan noise, but I have heard incorrectly installed ones which sound like a bit of a whistle. I always ended up putting loud exhausts on!

When you sold you bits did someone buy it all as a kit to go in a beetle or something or did you end up selling all the bits separate?

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #685 ·
After several attempts, I finally got the right nuts for my ball joints....oo er mrs! M12 1.5 pitch if you're interested ( and why wouldn't you be?)
So that's the suspension bolted up. I will need new shocks but there's plenty of time for that.
I decided to remove the tie rods to free up the adjustment. Remember these are off the chassis I'm using for the special. I don't think that the tracking had been adjusted for decades! Man they were stubborn!
Plenty of heat, plus-gas and force eventually won the day. :)
However it has seen better days. A fair clout on the wheel has left a bend in the main rod. I'll take it to work tomorrow to give it a tickle with the fly press.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #688 ·
Ah, that moment when you know something isn't right but can't quite put your finger on it, then.......... bingo!

I fitted a second hand steering box as the original was goosed. I didn't see any reason to change the pitman arm so I didnt. Now I've come to fit the tie rod I was struggling to tighten the nut.

Not all pitman arms were created equal! Lol

Attachments

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #689 ·
Lesson learned :)

So now I have steering and suspension. Need to connect the brake lines, bleed the brakes and refit the accelerator cable and it will be mobile again. :)

Soooo tempted to run round in it for the summer!

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #690 ·
Note to self: when using carburettor cleaner, do NOT get it in your eye!

On the plus side the engine revs cleanly now ( split accelerator pump diaphram)
Unfortunately it does seam to put a bit of smoke out. May need an Italian tune up!

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #692 ·
Ah ha I bet you've forgotten about this one!

I fitted the 1300 F code engine (again!) and tried to start it. I really have no need to do this, but I found myself at home with a free hour or so. It was either playing with the engine, or gardening........

Anyway, the engine fired up (using a petrol can as a temporary fuel tank) but wouldn't rev. Curious....

For a while I thought it might be the coil, as I was getting an erratic HT output from it. I even wondered if I'd mixed up the coil from an Alfa engine I used to have.
When I got this engine it had a chrome 009 dissy. I answered a request from someone on Facebook as he was building a chrome look engine b289 style. So I sent him the 009 and he sent me a brand new vac advance dissy. Happy days I thought.
Long story short, turns out the points needed setting up. That's all. The engine now runs great, if a little (OK, a lot) smokey.
Job done.

Where's the spade?

·
Wannabe Chat Slut
1,548 Posts
This is how she sits, all sad. But now with a running engine... But no brakes
Are you hoping to get it back on the road soon? Glad you're finding time for hobbies despite the new business. :)

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #695 ·
Are you hoping to get it back on the road soon? Glad you're finding time for hobbies despite the new business. :)
I wasn't planning on putting back on the road, but when the sun's out.......

No, I just had an hour at home with nothing to do.
I have a custom bicycle to finish, and the 'special' as well. So I think it will be a while.

I'll be moving workshops soon and I hope to take this car to the new shop. I can see me tatting about with it every now and again

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #696 ·
So, here's the thing, I keep finding myself in the garage.... tinkering.
While I don't want to put this back on the road, I think I want it "ready" for the road.
I stripped the carb the other day and found there is loads of play in the throttle shaft. So I ordered a brass bush kit. However I didn't notice the carb is actually a 28pict and doesn't have the replacement bushes. My solution is to give it to an old chap I know. He's probably the best machinist I've ever met, so something like this he can do with his eyes shut....
While I'm waiting for the carb to be done I've done an oil change on the engine and fitted new axle boots.
Wierdly when I undid the sump plate (no sump plug) the first thing to pour out was a clear liquid. At first I guessed petrol. But I sniffed my fingers (stop it!) and smelt, well, nothing. About 2 litres of what I can only assume was water came out before the oil. Better out than in, I guess at some stage the engine has been left outside. My hopes for a decent running engine are fading!
The other thing I've sorted is the brakes. If you've been following this (you must be patient!) I've replaced the rear suspension and brakes for the correct 1966 ones and swapped front beam back to 5 stud drums. So I overhauled the brakes at all 4 corners using parts from my stock.
This evening I've bled the brakes using my trusty EZ Blead kit. It's the one that uses air pressure to force fluid through the system. You just fill up the bottle with fluid, connect to a tyre and open the Blead nipples in the usual order.
I had to swap out one of the front wheel cylinders as the nipple snapped off. Now I have brakes :)

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #699 ·
I've just driven my 66 beetle with a 1300 engine for the first time in , erm, probably 30 years! I'm still grinning!

Well, when I said "driven" I mean reversed it out the garage, and drove it up the drive on the other side. I needed access to the garage loft area above where the beetle was.

Despite getting the carb rebuilt, I swapped it out for another. I realised it was the wrong one for the engine, so a rebuilt correct one I now on. The correct distributor has also been sourced and fitted.
The 6 volt flywheel has been changed for a 180mm 12v one. A new starter bush and we are good to go!.

I rigged up a temporary fuel can and it starts on the first kick of the starter.

I may be concentrating on my special, but that doesn't mean I've forgotten about this one.

681 - 700 of 724 Posts