Volkszone Forum banner
781 - 800 of 876 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Oh and I've fitted a 200mm flywheel. I can't actually remember where it came from! Lol
I've set the end float to 0.1mm. Fortunately i had the right shims in my "stash" so that saved ordering any. I've had to order a clutch for it though. I figured that the 180mm clutch wouldn't last too long with a 1600. VW went 200mm for a reason.
i wake up thinking about car bits too :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #783 ·
New 200mm clutch now fitted using 10 9 bolts.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Rim Automotive design

The tube arrived today that's for the centre pivot in the linkage. I ordered 5/8" because that's the size of the bearings I have. The bearings don't fit. The tube is 16mm not 5/8. Iys only a slight difference, but its enough. So I've dropped the tube off at my local machine shop. He owes me a favor. While I was there I picked up some work from him in the form of some 911 doors that need work. Funny how that happens!

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #787 ·
So after quite a lot of research, I've decided to add a manifold balance pipe. I bent up some 16mm pipe and added short stubs to each manifold. Although it's a 13mm internal bore pipe, I've only drilled 6.5mm holes in the manifolds. My idea is that I can always open the holes bigger if needed
I've heard some people say an 8mm tube is big enough, but then vw made them bigger on the type 3.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Wheel Bumper

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #788 ·
The inlet manifold in all its glory!
Road surface Tool Automotive tire Bicycle part Bumper

Engine going in.....
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

When I bolted the manifold back on, I noticed that I'd set the left hand carb closer to the fan shroud. This means that I don't need to modify the inner wing for clearance. Unfortunately this is not the case for the right side carb. For now I've just cut a hole in the inner wing. I can make a nice domed cover later.

So are you interested to know if it runs??

Of course it does! It fired right up! I need to mess with the choke setting to get them synchronised.
I drove the car around the complex of units where my workshop is, and can confirm it runs great and appears quite quick! Happy DC66!!

Now if I can work out how to post a video....

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #792 ·
The card backing was ripped and tatty too
Road surface Wood Asphalt Brick Gas

Now fortunately I have a stock of the perfect replacement "card". It comes with the sheets of 4 by 8 foot metal I have delivered to give the packaging a bit more rigidity. Its thinner and much stronger than hardboard and has a wax type finish which repels water. Seams perfect for the seat!
Rectangle Wood Brick Gas Tints and shades

Next step is the cover, which I have started for the second time! This time I have the correct dimensions for the red area.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #796 ·
Inspired by another thread on here, I decided to double check my timing marks were correct. There are loads of marks on the pully so I did wonder if they were right. They didn't look factory, more hacksaw! Except one....

I got an old spark plug, knocked the middle out and tapped it to M10. A long bolt was screwed in.
Asphalt Nickel Auto part Road surface Soil

I then set the engine to just before tdc on number one and replaced the sparkplug with the above bolt. I wound the bolt in until it touched the piston and gently turned the engine till it stopped. I put a mark on the pully at this point. Then I turned the engine backwards until the piston hit the bolt again and stopped. Another mark was put on the pully. I halved the distance between the two new marks to give me tdc.
Then some maths!
Handwriting Wood Font Grey Wall

To decifer that for you,
Circumference = 2 pie r
= 2 times 3.1415 times 85mm = 534mm

Divide that by 360 degrees gives 1.48mm round the Circumference for each degree. So 7.5 degrees for the static timing is 11.2mm to the right of tdc and 36 degrees is 53.5mm.

I transfered these measurements onto the pully and guess what? The 7.5 degree mark is bang on that factory notch! Hurrah!
Tire Water Wheel Automotive tire Tread

That was an interesting half hour!

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #798 ·
Another bank holiday ( two actually) means I can't make noise in the workshop !
So I decided to tackle the awful wiring on the car. Over the 31 years I've owned this car I have modified and butchered the wiring to a point that I'm amazed it worked at all! What with big stereos, additional gauges and then of course the diesel engine, its all gone a bit mad under the bonnet.
Hood Motor vehicle Car Automotive design Automotive tire

Pretty bad eh?

So I spent quite an enjoyable day yesterday pulling out redundant and incorrect wires. It was quite therapeutic really lol

Plant Road surface Urban design Groundcover Asphalt

That's about halfway through!

Luckily I happen to have an original 1966 wiring loom and fuse box saved from the Specials donor car. It's not perfect, but it's much better than the one I have now.
I started with the front lighting ciruits
Electrical wiring Gas Cable Audio equipment Electricity

And that's as far as I got! Hopefully I can do a bit more today, although I have some more workshop shelving units to put up to add some much needed storage in there.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #799 ·
Oh, and I finally got round to changing the steering rubber coupling. It had nearly split in half! I was a bit shocked to be honest, the potential disaster if it had failed. I certainly will keep a closer eye on the replacement.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #800 ·
A day on this today started with me finishing the re-wire. I fitted the inertia switch for the fuel pump which I used to control a relay for the pump. I don't think it needed a relay, but it kept the load off the stock fuse box.
With the pump wired I fitted the battery to test a few circuits. And well, it would be rude not to start the engine! So I did. It started fine, I checked the timing and adjusted the idle. The engine warmed up and sounded great. Then it started smoking. I revved it and it smoked some more. Like loads! Feeling dejected I went to lunch and contemplated buying an electric car....
After lunch I started it again and no smoke.
So, when it's cold, on choke, no smoke. Warm with the choke off it smoked. Carb set up? Maybe. More likely something more serious. I now regret using second hand cheap pistons!
So I moved off the engine and made the rear drivers side quarter.

Simple paper template copied onto steel
Wheel Tire Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Then gets some english wheel action
Purple Motor vehicle Wood Bumper Automotive tire

Edges folded and shrunk to give the curve.

Azure Wood Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Automotive tire Road surface

Sometimes I get a bit carried away and shrink too much. Comparing the curve with the edge of the door skin means that I need to flatten out the curve a bit. This is done with a hammer and anvil

Wood Door Tool Bumper Automotive tire

781 - 800 of 876 Posts