Volkszone Forum banner
821 - 832 of 832 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
Things got a little out of control!
View attachment 300878

While I was removing one of the gudgeon clips it pinged off somewhere and I couldn't find it. The only thing I could think was that it had pinged inside the crankcase. So I decided to split the case, but didn't find the clip.
Today I've been cleaning the case and found the clip in the sump! So I was right to spilt the case.
After measuring the crank and case (actually, I got a chap from the workshop opposite mine to help me. He builds engines for all sorts and knew how to use the measuring equipment, unlike me lol) it turns out the bearings are standard, so no reground crank or aline bored case. Not only that, the crank and case have no wear, so will go again without machining. Result!
New bearings are on order, time to do some work on a customers car! Lol
that looks very complicated! x

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #822 ·
Waiting for the bearings to turn up. .....

Automotive tire Gas Wood Concrete Motor vehicle

Workshop fridge keeping the crank cool!
Bottle Drink Glass bottle Font Carbonated soft drinks

Waiting waiting waiting!....

Tracking says the parcel is out for delivery today.....

Waiting, (drums fingers on bench)....

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #823 ·
Oh yeah, for a F code engine I was surprised it's duel oil relief. Maybe the later ones did, I thought it was only the twin port cases that were duel
Light Water Font Engineering Auto part

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #824 ·
Bearings arrived just after lunch.
Road surface Asphalt Automotive tire Gas Wood

So I managed to dry fit the bottom end. All was well, very smooth turning over. I then applied the sealant and fitted the cam followers and cam. But as I was tightening up the case something was wrong. Opening up the case again revealed one of the main bearings had come off the pin. I'm glad I didn't nip it up without checking!
Second time around all was well. I continued to fit the pistons and barrels on one side followed by the head. My painted push rod tubes were in place and heads torqued up nicely when I noticed that little plate that goes under the barrels sat on the other end of my bench. Ah. Oh dear I said. Back off with the head!
I then ran out of time to do the other side. Monday night is quiz night at my local pub so I don't work over on Mondays lol

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #825 ·
Came 3rd in the pub quiz, not too shabby!

This is as far as I'm taking the engine for the moment. I need to earn some money!
Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle Bumper

End float set, tappets set and timing in the ball park.
I'm looking forward to fitting it into the car. That 1st start is always exciting!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Now I’ve read this thread from start to finish!
Is it the same car that I had a lift in back in the olden days, on a Sunday morning, on the way to McDonald’s in Taunton with a stinking hangover after a party at Fiona’s mums house, and you were running dual buggy cannons?

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #827 ·
Now I’ve read this thread from start to finish!
Is it the same car that I had a lift in back in the olden days, on a Sunday morning, on the way to McDonald’s in Taunton with a stinking hangover after a party at Fiona’s mums house, and you were running dual buggy cannons?
No that was Claires beetle.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #829 ·
Ok, it was 30 years ago, and I was hanging!
Funny how you can remember random things from years ago, but I can’t remember what the mrs sends me to the shops for!
Still in awe of your skill set though!
Love the fact you remembered the duel cannons lol

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
Came 3rd in the pub quiz, not too shabby!

This is as far as I'm taking the engine for the moment. I need to earn some money!
View attachment 300952

End float set, tappets set and timing in the ball park.
I'm looking forward to fitting it into the car. That 1st start is always exciting!
congratulations on coming 3rd in the quiz! hope you get a big wad of cash in your pocket soon x

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #831 ·
congratulations on coming 3rd in the quiz! hope you get a big wad of cash in your pocket soon x
Wad of cash? We play for chocolate! Lol its a small independent pub in the hill above Ironbridge that has its own brewery in the cellar. We have to walk through the woods to get to it. Our team name is Muddy Boots lol

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
Wad of cash? We play for chocolate! Lol its a small independent pub in the hill above Ironbridge that has its own brewery in the cellar. We have to walk through the woods to get to it. Our team name is Muddy Boots lol
😹i meant i hope you earn a wad of cash at your day job so you can go back to finishing your bug x

821 - 832 of 832 Posts