Volkszone Forum banner
841 - 860 of 884 Posts

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #841 ·
When I fitted the radiator in the spare wheel well I cut out the bumper mounts. Today I fabricated some new replacements. I know I can just buy these, but where's the fun in that? Lol
Road surface Triangle Asphalt Grey Font

After a paper template I marked out on steel

Wood Rectangle Gas Tints and shades Font

Then folded it up. This is/was my magnetic folder. It was brilliant....until the electromagnet shorted out and fused the power. I can still use it though, I just have to clamp manually now.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Spot welded

Door Dead bolt Wood Fixture Grey

And a pair of M8 hank bushes welded in....

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #842 ·
Bumper Automotive tire Road surface Gas Rectangle

I painted them and welded them in. I ballance the bumper on some axle stands to get the position.

Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

A trial fit. I'm happy with that.

Tire Land vehicle Car Plant Vehicle

I couldn't resist popping the headlights in for some motivation! Looks almost finished lol

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #846 ·
erm :unsure:

is that tongue in cheek or serious ?

answers on a post card folks or on here ;)
Serious. All I need to do is fit and wire the lights, horn, wipers etc. Oh and finish at least the drivers seat.

However I've checked the weather for next weekend, not ideal for an unpainted car.... thunder and rain!

So I think I'll use next weekend to carry on with the paint prep

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #847 ·
I spent the afternoon working on the front valence. I marked out the slots for the bumper irons, took a deep breath and cut them out.

Hood Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Hood Road surface Bumper Automotive lighting

Not too bad! Phew! That could have been a setback I I got that wrong.
Car Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Plant

So that's the front valence almost done. I just need to weld it in.
I've had this car since 1991 and I have never had a working bonnet release! Mainly because I fitted the old valence wrong so the catch didn't line up with the lock. Obviously it does now! It's going to be weird having to release the bonnet catch before I can open it. More secure though....

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #850 ·
I've spent some time on the rear valence this week. It's been on the car since the 90s and seen all sorts of engines behind it! I'd modified it for each exhaust type....stinger, cut out on the right, cutout on the left and now twin tailpipes!
After welding up the unwanted cutouts I remembered that I had to cut away some of the inner parts to fit around the previous diesel engine.
Sometimes I think I should just buy a new panel.....

Brick Building material Wood Brickwork Art

Art Building material Font Sculpture Tints and shades

So now all that's left to do is the passenger door skin, then it's out with the glass and fix any rust I find there. Then I can finally use my nice new paint gun! Waahooo!
Not long now....I've even sorted the insurance...

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #851 ·
Today I've worked on the passenger door skin. I'm using steel on this side, the aluminium I used on the drivers side causes more trouble than it's worth! Lol

I've had a fresh delivery of steel sheet and this was the first time I've used it. I buy 2.5m by 1.25m sheets as I do get through quite a lot. I've used the same supplier as usual, but the new batch feels different to normal. It must be a slightly different grade I guess. The result of this is that it takes longer to wheel shape into it. I've been at it all day!
The piece I cut out is 1000mm by 700mm so it is reasonably heavy. So holding it at arms length running it through the English wheel all day has exhausted me! But I finally got the shape into it.

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Table Wood

Smooth and ripple free...... well thats the theory!

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #857 ·
Oh how I hate sanding! That's why I never did it before lol

Sleeve Paint Grey Red Art

When I bought this car in 1991 it was gold. I painted it red. Then black with red side panels, then black again. You can see the history of the previous colours in the roof.
The original was Sea Sand, a sort of cardboard box colour. Not for me at all. No, I'm going black with red side panels again. I know resto cal is out of style at the moment, but I like the colours.
In that picture of the roof you can also see the lovely "star effect" in the last paint job I did. That's what happens when you paint outside. In December. In the dark. In the snow .... lol

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #860 ·
The windows have come out. Unfortunately the windscreen cracked as it came out. I'm not too bothered though, it was old and had some "grinder splatter" on the inside.
I'm considering a heated replacement. A bit pricy though once I've upgraded to an alternator as well. Maybe, we will see.

Anyway, the screen surround wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I mean it's bad, but not that bad!
Automotive tire Wood Water Liquid Tints and shades

The rear screen aperture needs a bit of work too

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood

All in all I'm happy with the state of it I was expecting much worse!

841 - 860 of 884 Posts