Volkszone Forum banner
861 - 880 of 884 Posts

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #864 ·
Looks amazing, how would this compare to the IGP door skins available off the shelf for someone without your English wheel skills?
Should be the same. I just like making stuff. It's a hobby that has got a little out of hand!
The IPG ones would have been pressed out in a fraction of a second, mine took, er, somewhat longer lol

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Should be the same. I just like making stuff. It's a hobby that has got a little out of hand!
The IPG ones would have been pressed out in a fraction of a second, mine took, er, somewhat longer lol
Thanks, yeah I don’t have your fabrication skills. I’ll be interested to see how you weld it, I guess cutting up by the swage line, it’s less likely to distort?😊

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #866 ·
Thanks, yeah I don’t have your fabrication skills. I’ll be interested to see how you weld it, I guess cutting up by the swage line, it’s less likely to distort?😊
Yeah, normally I'd TIG weld straight across with a butt weld, then crush the weld with a hammer and dolly to remove "distortion". But access to the back of the weld is impossible here, so I joggled the edge and very slowly MIG welded.
Incidentally the "distortion" happens because the welded area shrinks as it cools. This pulls the metal. Crushing the weld effectively stretches the metal back, removing the distortion.
I don't really like using a joggled overlapping joint and avoid them if I can. If the panel does distort you can't crush the weld. Also it forms a potential rust trap.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #869 ·
Not what you want to find half way through paint prep....

Automotive tire Wood Road surface Asphalt Automotive exterior

Nope, today hasn't gone as planned at all!
I'd wanted to have the car in primer and maybe even the red painted.
Instead I'm replacing the heater channel!
I did wonder if I could just patch the outer part.......but no
Road surface Wood Asphalt Floor Automotive tire

So much swearing later, the old chanel is out.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Asphalt Wood

A few steps backwards, for sure. But it needed to be done. The chanel was well gone. I can't believe I hadn't noticed. Fortunately the other side is fine, I replaced it a few years ago. Also I'm pleased that the floor is fine too. So a new heater chanel and a few closing repairs and it will be back on track.
I'm back on customers cars next week though (a replica of the Rover Jet 1 )

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #870 ·
I will add that this side was a replacement panel I fitted back in 1991. So I don't think it's done badly. In fact, I've just worked out that it lasted 6 years longer than the original VW one!

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #871 ·
Today I've carried on with the paint prep. The roof I took back to bare metal all over. Then I gave it a coat of epoxy primer.
I never, ever, want to do that again!

I'm expecting the new heater channel on Monday. I should be working on customer cars next week. But.........

·
Registered
12,770 Posts
The one from VW heritage. KLOKKERHOLM I think. Its all right. For the money I couldn't make it cheaper. If it lasts as long as the last one, it won't be me replacing it! Lol
Aslong as they're painted inside they should last OK. The ones on mine were bare metal inside once i'd removed the bottom plates.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #876 ·
Aslong as they're painted inside they should last OK. The ones on mine were bare metal inside once i'd removed the bottom plates.
I'm not removing the bottom plate. I didn't before and they lasted 31 years. I'll be long dead before these need doing again. Even if they do go before me, it's less than a days work to replace.

If it was a customers car I would. But that's different

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #877 ·
Hmmm been thinking about this lack of paint on the inside. About 3 am this morning an idea came to me. I just need to order a new brake bleed kit.........

If I never mention this again you'll know it didn't work! Lol

·
Registered
12,770 Posts
I sealed all the holes in mine with tape (after i'd welded new bottom plates on), poured paint in and rotated it around to spread it about then tipped the remains out. I know some will have burned off after welding them in but i waxoyled afterwards so it should be OK.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #879 ·
I sealed all the holes in mine with tape (after i'd welded new bottom plates on), poured paint in and rotated it around to spread it about then tipped the remains out. I know some will have burned off after welding them in but i waxoyled afterwards so it should be OK.
Do you get any smell of hot wax when the heater is on?

861 - 880 of 884 Posts