Volkszone Forum banner
961 - 980 of 981 Posts

· Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #963 ·
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Car seat cover Steering wheel

Car Window Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Still need to sort out some door cards and parcel shelf. However.....

Having driven it round a fair bit, I've decided I don't like the twin carbs! They are just a bit "roaring look at me". Bit too noisy for what I want really.
So I've bought a secondhand inlet manifold for a single carb and stock oil bath filter. Almost certainly I'll need to unblock the preheater on it, but I don't think the after market manifolds are up to much.

· Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #964 ·
Car Vehicle Land vehicle Vehicle registration plate Automotive lighting

So how annoying is that! The nearside headlight is higher than the offside! I've measured from the bottom of the wing up to the light bowl and it's definitely the wing at fault.
The wings were both bought from Machine 7, but at different times.
I could rotate the wing round to lower the light, but then I'd have to re-edge the bottom so it lines up with the valence and possibly add a bit on to the back edge. The indicator would need relocating too and the wing repainting.
I could buy another wing, but there is no guarantee it would be right.
Or I could leave it and put it down as "character ". Hmmm not sure I can do that!

Whatever I do, it won't be yet. I want to enjoy the car for a bit. I fitted the single carb yesterday but I am waiting for the correct jet (127.5) to arrive.

· Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #965 ·
New jet is fitted and the engine runs great!

So left to do...

Door seals
Running boards
Door panels (I've fitted the old ones for now, but they are tatty)
Maybe put a radio in.
Adjust brakes
Paint and underseal the underneath
Also, for the future, I'm not happy with the rear valence. It's a pattern part and doesn't fit well so I'll make a new one at some point.

I know that there will always be something that needs doing, that's the fun of running an old car. But for now I'm going to be using this car every day and smiling much more than I have been! :)

· Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #971 ·
I'm nearly 500 miles on the new engine. I've finally got it set up nicely. I don't know why I was having trouble, it's the simplest of engines/carb to set up! I couldn't get the idle right, the AF gauge was reading very rich on idle and the plugs were sooting up so much they were failing.
then, whilst adjusting the choke (for the 1000 time) I noticed what was wrong.....

The electric idle shut off valve thingy looked quite far out. I could see maybe 8 or so of the threads. A gentle turn of the valve confirmed I hadn't screwed it in all the way. So fuel would have been pooring past it instead of through the jet. Hurrah!

Then the engine wouldn't run when it was cold, spluttering and coughing etc. Oh, I'd better reset the choke, which I'd adjusted back so much it wasn't doing anything.

And that's it, the engine runs lovely now!

So what do I think of my car now it's virtually stock?

I love it even more! The ride is so much smoother than when it was lowered, the engine is sweet. I'm treating it gently at the moment due to running in, but it has enough poke to keep up with the traffic on my commute. The drum brakes are good enough, although I have needed to adjust them as they have bedded in.

I have a slight twist in the drivers seat back. The frame must be damaged somehow, so I'll need to look at that at some point.

The rear valence just does not fit well. It's a pattern part I bought years ago. So I'll make a new one at some point.

I really need to adjust the steering stops! They were set for when the car was lowered. I can only just get into the carpark at work! Lol

The car attracts attention ever time I stop anywhere. :)

· Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #972 ·
Oh and I bought one of these

Wall Road surface Font Material property Gas

It's supposed to control the dwell to the coil and make the points last longer. I don't know really, it may just be a box with a led on it lol But I like the idea of not having to adjust points regularly. I would have bought one of those magnetic pickup thingies but they are not available for the dissy I want to use. I want to use the original all vacuum dissy. It uses the earlier two piece points.
However I'm having a little issue with it at the moment so I'm using a dreaded 009. For some reason (presumably a blocked outlet) I'm not getting enough vacuum from the carb to activate the advance. If I suck the tube connected to the dissy I can see the points plate move freely. If I then block the tube it remains in the advanced position. So I'm calling the dissy and diaphragm good. So it must be the outlet in the carb.
I'll have a look at lunchtime

· Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #974 ·
I've been having a irritating fault with the engine over the last few days. It felt like it was hesitating and stumbling with the occasional spit back through the carb.
I still haven't got to the bottom of why the carb isn't producing enough vacuum so obviously I'm thinking there must be an air intake leak. Looking at the AF gauge shows leaning out too.
So it must be connected right? Inlet manifold leak?

As it happens, no!

I'm using a Huco electric fuel pump combined with a Malpassi regulator. I'd set the fuel pressure to 2.5 psi when I installed it. However......

I hadn't tightened the lock nuts on the regulator adjuster and it had wound itself out! A few turns clockwise and I'm back to 2.5 😆

Cars running great again! Funny that!

· Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #975 ·
I scored a secondhand Bosch alternator off Ebay last week for £66. Bit of a gamble I know, but the price was good.
So today I have swapped out the brand new unbranded one I bought 600 miles ago for the bosch of unknown history. There is nothing wrong with the one I took off, it's just I would rather have a bosch, such a snob lol

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

I painted the fan shroud while I had it off the car.
With this low vacuum issue in the back of my mind, I also replaced the inlet manifold gaskets. The old ones were very flat and one had a defect. So you never know, might make a difference.
Lastly for today I welded a nut on the engine lid hinge.
Motor vehicle Wood Gas Automotive exterior Bumper

The thread had stripped totally. So now the lid is held on with 4 bolts instead of 3

· Saddest VZi'er 2020
6,816 Posts
Looking great. I do prefer a Beetle (or any car TBH) to have lots of clever stuff hiding under an outwardly stock first impression. Much better than "LOOK AT ME" modified ones.

(y)(y)

Reactions: dc66

· Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #980 ·
900 miles on the rebuilt engine and I broke down today!

Coming back from the workshop it started hesitating like it was out of fuel. Then it just cut out.
I coasted to a layby. And started fault finding.
I have a Huco electric pump wired through a relay. The relay has a shock activated switch in line as well as a hidden switch. So lots of connectors and components that could be the issue. The car would restart and I could hear the pump working, but after about 30 seconds it cut out again.

After a good half an hour of eliminating components and connections I worked back to the pump. I touched the pump and it was quite hot. Ah ha!

I bought 2 of these pumps, the second is on the Special back at my workshop. So I was forced to call for help. Unfortunately, as I'd coasted down to the bottom of a valley, I had no mobile reception! I had to walk to the top of the valley, about 1.5 miles before I got reception! My mood by then was a little less than joyous!
With a lift back to the workshop secured I swapped the pumps over.

Sure enough the car ran great. In fact it seemed to have more power and "perkyness " than it had before. Makes me wonder if the pump had been failing for a while.

Once I got back home I researched E10 resistant mechanical pumps. It looks like VW Heritage do one made by SSP. So I've ordered one. To hell with the electric pump!

961 - 980 of 981 Posts