Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive got a 1200 engine which im fitting to my car , ive read and been told the 12v 200mm flywheel wont fit !! ive taken it of my engine and put it on the 1200 and it does fit ! the gearbox is already cleared to fit this flywheel , so am i missing anything ? i cant see why it wouldnt work.

·
Premium Member
8,963 Posts
If I remember correctly, a late flywheel will fit an early crankshaft, (or it may be the other way around), but it won't be properly located, and may cause an oil leak.
If both flywheels have the O ring seal inside the boss, (the O ring seals the joint on the crank), it means that both engines are the Late type, and it is perfectly safe to swap flywheels (although a 200 mm clutch is overkill for a 1200). What year are both these engines ?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi not sure what year the engines are , the engine im taking the flywheel of is my 1835 Ab engine and im putting it on my 1200 engine , its a D code but the rest number has been stamped out due to reconditioning it all looks to fit ok but ive not tightened it up yet, when you say the clutch would be overkill in what way ? will it drive ok ?

·
Premium Member
8,963 Posts
1200 and 1300 engines used a 180 mm diameter clutch. A 200 mm clutch will work fine, they were intended for the 1500 & 1600 engines, ergo, bigger than necessary on a 1200. As long as both flywheels have the same O ring seal in the boss, they are interchangeable (but you wouldn't want the 180 mm clutch on a 1835 engine, it would slip A 'D' prefix engine is anywhere after August 1965, if it has the dual oil pressure Relief & Control valves, that puts it after August 1969, which means it will have the same flywheel fitting as your AB engine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts