Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got my fuel sender working but empty reads as a quater of a tank.(on a 66 splitvan) my question is can you get a device to go the wire to the gauge so you can adjust the current.same as a light dimmer switch dose. just wondered thanks.

·
Registered
323 Posts
The sender is not voltage dependant as it works on a variable resistance principle. However, that's not th esame for the gauge. With a 6-volt gauge in 12-volt systems, I suggest an electronic regulator chip on the back of the gauge to drop the voltage. Peter Good

·
Registered
18,482 Posts
Peter is correct; a 6V regulated supply is necessary.
This chip is available at Maplin and elsewhere. The tab has a mounting hole which can be used to bolt to convenient chassis point. The 10uf capacitors reduce the risk of oscillation.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Thx guys. So a 12v guage would work with the Split sender then ?. Thinking about replacing the Splitscreen speedo with an 'early' post 67 speedo which has an integral fuel guage.

Free bounce :).

Gareth

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
?

mines got a 12v gauge i believe but still reads a quater at empty. what will stop this thanks.

·
Registered
18,482 Posts
Read the Fuel gauge article on my web site for more info (if you haven't).
Use a multimeter to measure the sender resistance when the tank is Empty (or take the sender out).
Type 2 senders measure about 100 Ohms when Empty.

If yours does, but still reads high, the gauge has some problem (assuming that it really is a 12V gauge).
You may be able to compensate by adding resistance in the sender lead, but this will affect the Full reading as well.

As an experiment, purchase a potentiometer (rheostat) at Radio Shack/Maplin to put in series with the sender. A 100 Ohm or 500 Ohm part or even 1000 Ohm will do. If you find a setting that compensates, measure the rheostat resistance and substitute a fixed resistor (1/2 watt) of that value.

I wouldn't be too optimistic that this will solve the problem though.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks speedy jim will give it a go but wont hold my breath.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts