Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got this at the weekend:

What I thought was a 1302S semi-automatic BUT - it has drum brakes on the front and I've been told that only the 1302 had drums on the front, the 1302S should have discs on the front.
The engine is also a 1600cc but not the original as according to the code it was a replacement manufactured after 1973 so it is possible it was originally a 1300cc so could this be a 1302 rather than a 1302S?

Now here's the quirky bits:
1) It's right hand drive (I didn't think VW made a RHD 1302?)
2) It was imported into the UK in 1972 but was manufactured in 1971.
3) The speedo is in kilometers per hour but appears to be the original as it has the ATF warning light.

Any 1302 experts here? :confused:

·
Registered
20,445 Posts

·
Registered
21,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Autohausdolby said:
VW made RHD 1302s if that's any help :)
Hmm.... did VW ever export the RHD 1302 into the UK? Because as far as I was aware only the 1302S was available in the UK.

I know our's wasn't bought in the UK - just curious really.

EDIT - DOH! Just seen Metric Thumbs post!

·
Registered
21,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
metric_thumbs said:
Not an expert - but there are certainly 1302, 1302s and 1302ls in saloon form in RHD sold in this country.
1302s normally does have disks.
Import and manufac dates are perfectly OK. I asume it came from one of our colonies if RHD.
So km speedo, RHD and Brit colony - mmm - Singapore?

Some pages for you
http://www.1302super.com/page14.html
http://www.veedub-docs.com/ring/1302/index.php?id=4&f=all&lan=d
Cheers! :) Cool web pages!

metric_thumbs said:
Welcome to the world of Bugs that go round bends!!
I've NEVER driven a McPherson strut Bug before so this could be interesting! I did drive a late 60's semi-auto 1500 Bug around a car park when I was 17 but I'd only just passed my driving test and didn't really have any real experience of driving.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
AngelVenomous said:
Hmm.... did VW ever export the RHD 1302 into the UK? Because as far as I was aware only the 1302S was available in the UK.

I know our's wasn't bought in the UK - just curious really.

EDIT - DOH! Just seen Metric Thumbs post!
I believe their were a few 1302's 1302s's sold to army types on cyprus. They may have been RHD and it's possible for some to have been brought home/exported.
my 1302s has disks and a 1600 (manufactured '72)

·
Registered
21,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well from further research from those websites it's definatly a 1302 and should have had a 1300cc engine.

The previous owner did comment on it's acceleration being a tad fast (for a Bug anyway) - possibly because the torque converter on the trans is set up for a 1300cc engine.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a K reg 1302s has original 1600 engine and disc brakes on the front. Which is was built in 1971 but was not registered till 1972 and bought new in the uk. One other difference between 1302 and 1302s is the dashboard, the 1302s has a black padded dash.

·
Registered
21,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
clarebox said:
One other difference between 1302 and 1302s is the dashboard, the 1302s has a black padded dash.
AHA! Our's has a metal dashboard the same colour as the rest of the car and no evidence of a padded dash ever having been fitted.

1302 it is then.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
AngelVenomous said:
AHA! Our's has a metal dashboard the same colour as the rest of the car and no evidence of a padded dash ever having been fitted.

1302 it is then.
The 1302s did come with a metal dash, but only the very early ones (like mine).

The 1302s and 1303s both had disk brakes and 1600cc engines, where the non 's' (i.e. the 1302 and 1303) had 1300cc engines an drum brakes.

By the sounds of it, yours is a 1302 with a 1600 engine fitted.

·
Premium Member
7,831 Posts
Optional, but standard on the S :)

·
Premium Member
7,831 Posts
RHD and KM speedo could be just about anywhere! India, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Australia, Japan...

It could be a case of someone buying the car while living abroad, but forgetting the MPH speedometer (I've seen it before!)

·
Registered
21,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maybe I should stop being a tight git and get a Birth Certificate from VW ;)

Our 1302 also has the early type steering wheel with the horn ring if that makes any difference?

This was one thing I was amazed at when looking at the strut top mounts:

The boot is huge! I'll have to try that with four crates of beer too :D

·
Registered
20,445 Posts
Howard66 said:
RHD and KM speedo could be just about anywhere! India, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Australia, Japan...

It could be a case of someone buying the car while living abroad, but forgetting the MPH speedometer (I've seen it before!)
No quite as simple - most of the above used miles back in 1972.

I was going through the units used in my mind and could come up with only Singapore using KM - I had forgotten Japan.

·
Premium Member
7,831 Posts
Ahh yes, I totally forgot about that :)

AV: it's quite a difference isn't it :D but best to wait until you get home before drinking the beer :lol:

·
Registered
21,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Howard66 said:
AV: it's quite a difference isn't it :D but best to wait until you get home before drinking the beer :lol:
I was thinking more of storing beer there whilst I sort out the heater channels ;)

·
Premium Member
7,831 Posts
Now that sounds like a plan :D

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Howard66 said:
Optional, but standard on the S :)
Mine is a 1302s, registered in Nov 1970 (they only started making them in Aug 1970), and has a metal dash and early steering wheel. Must have beel left over from the non super beetles.....

·
Registered
20,445 Posts
Howard 66 - your '62 Mini - how is that comming along. Suppose I could click the web site - but last time it I looked - it looked good. Nice to see an original wire door pull one again Wet feet?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts