Volkszone Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Things have recently moved on at some pace since I last saw the 1302. Last Saturday I spent a couple of hours with Paul stripping back more of the crud and cutting out the floors (that were put in during 1997).

This is the underside of the frame head in all of its ugly glory. The patches were of their time and have saved this car from the crusher years ago.

I cut some of the floors out and scraped bitumen sound deadening stuff off while Paul did the hard work chiselling out the spot welds on the floor remains and thankfully the seam welds on the earlier floor pan replacements were welded to the original floor remains.

Chassis nearly stripped of all things to be replaced and was how I left it with Paul on the Saturday.

A few days later I got a message from Paul and some photos that the chassis/floor pan was complete and ready for blasting and powder coating...

New frame head fitted (genuine VW old stock) - note this has two radius arm mounting points. Will using the upper mount alter my front suspension geometry?

You can see the double mounting on the frame head more easily here.

I am very pleased and will go back to Paul's this Saturday to sort out the other items to go off for blasting and powder coating next week.

Progress at last, it's been a very, very long time. 馃憤 :)

Dom

Registered
Looks like the upper mounts are for the 1302 and early 1303 going by the angle of the control arm. I'd assume using the wrong one for the type of front suspension fitted will alter the geometry. Whether thats for the worst or better i've no idea.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Short update and a couple of pics to whet the appetite..

Paul picked this little lot up from the powder coaters this week just gone.:cool:

The plan is to re-assemble the suspension, brake pipe lines, fuel line and other things to the floor pan (under the direction of Paul) at the end of the month.

Dom

Registered
Hi,
Looking great. Who did the blasting and powder coat?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Blandford Industrial Spraying...

Paul uses them, apparently first time they've done a white Beetle pan and components.

Dom

Registered
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
A little slow on this - taking longer than I thought and not much to show for several hours on this. Hit a snag with needing more new parts for the rear hubs and to set the rear suspension up.

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Fender Bumper

Old master cylinder just for positioning - it will get properly re-furbished later. I hope to be back on it with Paul very soon.
Dom

21 - 26 of 26 Posts