Volkszone Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Things have recently moved on at some pace since I last saw the 1302. Last Saturday I spent a couple of hours with Paul stripping back more of the crud and cutting out the floors (that were put in during 1997).

This is the underside of the frame head in all of its ugly glory. The patches were of their time and have saved this car from the crusher years ago.

I cut some of the floors out and scraped bitumen sound deadening stuff off while Paul did the hard work chiselling out the spot welds on the floor remains and thankfully the seam welds on the earlier floor pan replacements were welded to the original floor remains.

Chassis nearly stripped of all things to be replaced and was how I left it with Paul on the Saturday.

A few days later I got a message from Paul and some photos that the chassis/floor pan was complete and ready for blasting and powder coating...

New frame head fitted (genuine VW old stock) - note this has two radius arm mounting points. Will using the upper mount alter my front suspension geometry?

You can see the double mounting on the frame head more easily here.

I am very pleased and will go back to Paul's this Saturday to sort out the other items to go off for blasting and powder coating next week.

Progress at last, it's been a very, very long time. 馃憤 :)

Dom

Registered
Looks like the upper mounts are for the 1302 and early 1303 going by the angle of the control arm. I'd assume using the wrong one for the type of front suspension fitted will alter the geometry. Whether thats for the worst or better i've no idea.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Short update and a couple of pics to whet the appetite..

Paul picked this little lot up from the powder coaters this week just gone.:cool:

The plan is to re-assemble the suspension, brake pipe lines, fuel line and other things to the floor pan (under the direction of Paul) at the end of the month.

Dom

Registered
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
A little slow on this - taking longer than I thought and not much to show for several hours on this. Hit a snag with needing more new parts for the rear hubs and to set the rear suspension up.

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Fender Bumper

Old master cylinder just for positioning - it will get properly re-furbished later. I hope to be back on it with Paul very soon.
Dom

Registered
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I under estimated the time it takes to put this back together, but Paul has been very patient with me fiddling about while he does the difficult stuff - though extracting the trailing arm metal sleeves was hard work and I scuffed up the white powder coating in places during their extraction :rolleyes:

Wood Gas Motor vehicle Machine Engineering

Rear suspension components starting to go in - note (for the sharp eye) we had the spring plates on the wrong side, later swapped over.

Motor vehicle Aircraft Automotive exterior Automotive tire Airplane

White seam sealer had just been applied.

Maybe one more session and we get the hubs assembled and I can have the floor back to my place for further detailing and touching up, in white, the scuffs and missed bits. I've identified more parts to be powder coated but will organise that once the floor pan is back home.

Dom

Registered
Nice resto man :) White is certainly different. Didn't look like anyone answered you about the front track control arms and the two mounting holes. Basically the track control arm is a fixed length and so mounting it in the wrong hole will either pull or push the bottom of the front. This then will change the camber of the front wheels. Pusing out will probably give way too much negative camber and pulling in will give a ton of positive camber.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Dom, how did you feed your new fuel line through? And is it in there 鈥檒oose鈥 or did you manage to feed it through the securing tags? Phil
HI fbh1,

The old fuel line is still in the tunnel and a new copper/nickle line added (next guage up from brake line, 6mm?) and is loose, I guess - you got me thinking on rattles now! I could make some rubber pads to insert to cushion it....

Paul pushed the pipe through from the frame head end as the first job on the fresh pan and used a small pick tool to lift it through the hole on teh rear fork. The grommet on the framehead is too big, so some fettling rquired there - not tried the grommet for the outlet on the rear fork.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Nice resto man :) White is certainly different. Didn't look like anyone answered you about the front track control arms and the two mounting holes. Basically the track control arm is a fixed length and so mounting it in the wrong hole will either pull or push the bottom of the front. This then will change the camber of the front wheels. Pusing out will probably give way too much negative camber and pulling in will give a ton of positive camber.
Thanks for the info - going by the original arm position, I'll go for the lower mounting and set up as per required to accommodate the -2" springs that will be fitted.

Dom

Registered
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Now on to the body... for some more surgery.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Wood

Paul welded in new rear bumper brackets while I was grinding back the grot in side under the rear seat area. I decided that I wanted Paul to put in a couple more fresh repair panels to replace the corrosion on the left side under the rear seat and the basic fabrication on the right side done way back in 1997. Upon further scrutiny of the restoration of the rear quarter panels it was found that the repair panels had not really been blended in to the rear quarters, just placed over the existing body. It was Decided that a fresh rear quarter would be best re done on the right side, to save using so much filler to sort out the poor door gaps and warped body panel.
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Headlamp

It was thought the passenger side was in better shape (done by a different person as the welding was better) and Paul would chop off the excess on the repair panel and blend it all in nearer the bottom of the rear quarter panel as it should have been done in the first place.

I know it's grown arms and legs and blown the budget but best to get this sorted now for once and for all. With Paul applying his knowledge and me helping out on Saturdays I can understand what is really going in to this.

Dom

Registered
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Coming along nicely. (y)
The C pillars look pretty decent. Seems the foam of death hasn't rotted them out like on most 70s bugs.
... as we pick into the bug some more, it seems perhaps the only saving grace!

I had an update from Paul today and he's really been getting on with it now and it's looking very good. I'll post some more pictures after the weekend.

Dom

Registered
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Some more update photos from last week (15-20th Nov)
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Tread Automotive exterior

You'd have thought I was going Pro-Street... but no, my pockets are not that deep.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Bumper

Paul was making the best he could of the Klockerholm panels, some fitting better than others.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior

Bulkhead panel required widening and was a few hours work.
Automotive tire Plant Wood Bumper Gas

And here is the man himself, Paul.
Automotive tire Window Personal protective equipment Art Automotive lighting

The plan is to grind the welds this Saturday (my job), red oxide it and then transport home.

Dom

Registered
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Loaded and about to come home...
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window

Car Vehicle Wheel Sky Tire

Structurally sound and much tidier on the previous 1997/98 repairs. The plan is to 'rest' for December and resume spending more money in the new year to finish the floor pan and braking system.

Thanks for the interest shown on this "yet another beetle resto" thread. :)

Dom

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.