Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, just wondered if anyone could help me really. Im relatively new to the VW scene and currently own 2 campervans, but I am looking to buy a 1303 karmann convertible beetle. is there anything that i should particularly look out for or be aware of? any real disadvantages? as its my first beetle i thought i would get a few opinions... oh, and what is the difference with a 1303?

All help / opinions would be very much appreciated!! cheers

·
Registered
20,431 Posts
I will kick off
Usually rust areas, to include - heater channels and the underfloor strengtheners, Macpherson strut tops, just above rear wings just under hood hinge (can rust from inside out) worn steering gear, hood frame corrosion, hood condition, damaged or split dash plastics.

After that - it is the stuff you are used to on your campers - state of the engine etc.
there are some great 1303 Cabriolets out there for little money - so look around.

What is the difference with a 1303 - err - the roof folds - but I guess you got that
But the strengthening - the doors are filleted, there are big beams under the floor, the crossmember under the rear seat is different, the tunnel to front bulkhead has extra strengthening, the doors and rear quarter panels are unique.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers, that helps... i have been told that the hood skin if fraying so i might need to replace that .. its going for 3.7k, which i thought was a good price..

·
Registered
20,431 Posts
Hood fraying - could be nothing - use gaffer tape for a quick repair - or unfortunatley it could indicate a damaged frame.

3,700 is OK - but take a very good look. Join the Cabrio club - very strong - there are always good 1303 available in the magazine

Where is it? If closeish to Brum I might come and kick a tyre for you

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sorry, just re-read you message, its actually in Harrogate (york), which would be a bit of a trek for you - but thanks for the offer tho!!!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Hello, we paid £3,750 for a 69 model rhd 1300 solid base floorpan etc, done with loads of history and pictures of the work that had been done on the car.It needs a new hood/headliner and has silly bits missing.

But the price was right and I can done it up slowly and still enjoy the car as well. Big plus it needs no welding !!!!

Goodluck and advice needed get in touch.

SEE YA

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cheers for that - makes me feel a little better that im not buying a dud - get what ya pay for scenario... i might keep you to that !! cheers! they have also mentioned that the front sub frame needs some work... which they are doing before they sell it to me... anything i should worry about?

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Hello, go have a look at it before they work on the subframe to see what work needs doing. Plus who is doing it, as well there is welding and there are many people who think they can weld and cannot.
Underseal can hide many horrors, we looked at many Karmanns have you checked the chassis no should start with 15.Our search took over two years and many wasted hours of looking at so called good ones as well. Some were asking over £5k for a load of junk.

SEE YA

·
Registered
285 Posts
cabrio owners club is here

cabrio club

classified section good, club ok if you live down south, they dont do much this far north, some good tech help numbers to ring

take your time, there will be loads for sale over the next few months

send me you email via PM and i can send you loads of good links ive got over the years and also offer any advise i can

they are great fun when sun is out :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
nice one, cheers! im in essex so should be ok if they do stuff down south..

take my time? im far too impatient for that !! lol. thanks for the advise. drop me your mail after in a PM and i will try and send you a piccy of the car and see what you think.

·
Registered
336 Posts
get one ive got one and love it, when you put the roof down you become stress free you will be driving everywhere with a smile and i have also noticed gets rid of hangovers when the roofs down

Glover_the_Dubber said:
hi all, just wondered if anyone could help me really. Im relatively new to the VW scene and currently own 2 campervans, but I am looking to buy a 1303 karmann convertible beetle. is there anything that i should particularly look out for or be aware of? any real disadvantages? as its my first beetle i thought i would get a few opinions... oh, and what is the difference with a 1303?

All help / opinions would be very much appreciated!! cheers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
another miracle cure of hangovers!! love it!! oh, another one is getting your hair washed by someone else in a hairdressers, when they massage the conditioner in your hair it get rids of your head ache!!!! try it, you might like it

·
Registered
492 Posts
Welcome to the wonderfull world of the cabrio.
I have had mine for about 5 months now, and it still off the road,lol.
i paid £1700 for a 76 1303s model, which was solid as a rock underneath, chrome was a bit iffy, body was solid with a few scabs. The biggest problem for me was the roof. Mine needs a new outer and the rear bar under the rear window has broke and frame needs a good clean down and re-painting. My plan is to have it on the road for next season. I have so far lowered all round, removed indicators and bumpers, fitted electric windows, currently in the middle of making a mk2 golf gti steering column fit so i can have the gti steering wheel!

Petercabrio......any chance i can get some of them links you offering please, still got loads more i wanna do! :hug:

·
Registered
15,469 Posts
Stone me !! :eek: Theres and up and running 1600 1303 Cabrio on the www.terrysbeetles.co.uk website for £2800 and comes with a new MOT. I bet if you ask Luke nicely he'd throw in a new VW outer skin with it too. The paint isn't brilliant, but its very solid.

Luke :rolleyes:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts