Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 906 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is part 2 [other pics lost on here]





















Hope these come out, shows the new Genuine heater channel slipped into place in the bug, still got some cutting to do. Drawing is of the 2mm steel cross member which I removed carefully so I could repair behind and replace OE stylee.

I've made the drawing so I can make up the part using the drawing to get the blank cut accurately - both sides.

The bulkhead isn't bad, so I'm intending on using a beam bug version [cheaper], cut the bottom bit off - the shaped part sitting on the nelson's hat - and use this and sheet steel to repair as much of the original bulkhead as possible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
gonna be sort of german / euro / brit look i think. upgraded brakes mk 4/5 golf, rack & pinion, 5 speed [hopefully] type 4 [see the cali i've started to get underway in the boot!] chassis mods.

hoping to build a good subtle looking beast with quite a few modern comforts - all the fun and looks of an old car but the drivability and fun of a slightly newer one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cool, yeah that foam is well pony. got a pair of new genuine quarter panels to go in to solve the issue, just not sure whether to weld up half moons - have done on every other bug i've had, but sort of ruins originality and since always welded up not sure if they make any difference to the ventilation????

gonna have to make up the front bulkhead too :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah the genuine channels are longer by about 2" and I think the profile is slightly different due to the bulkead / inner wing area. I've already cut out the cage with the captive nuts ready to add to the 2mm thick end piece i'm making [tomorrow now hopefully since i have new tips and gas!]. I'll shorten the channel and use the flange to butt up to the bulkhead a la original.

Not too sure what to do about the bottom plate, got an OE one, but quite different at the end, not too sure about pattern ones, may make the end piece and butt weld to the OE one.

As you can see i'm being anal about putting every bit back as correct as possible [seen or not] and hopefully my mig butt welding skills will be ace by the time i'm finished!!

As a note - the bracket piece you can see in the top picture is very important it ties the front 1/4 to the twin 17mm bolts so this will not be compromised.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Some old pics of how it was and todays action

Here are a couple of pics of the bug as I pulled her out of the hedge:









And... today's action....









picked up new gas cylinder, once plugged in only shows 50 bar - is a new one from BOC and should read 230bar... how am i gonna convince them it's their fault?? can see me laying out for another cylinder :mad:

The piece above is part of the inside of the front bulkhead, remade it using OEM channel end cage and 2mm steel. Will try and get in place over xmas.

Any of you 1303 peeps tell me how difficult it is to replace whole bulkhead on an 03? got one channel out and the front of the N/S. mine seems to have gone in the seam at the top - between the top of the bulkhead and the panel under the fuel tank :( the outer skin of the bulkhead [road side] is pretty crusty and looking up bits of the panel forming the spare wheel well are also gone....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,288 Posts
I must have a genuine one then as it definitely has all the proper strengthening and threaded plates. It is a slightly different shape in the middle where the internal bracket welds on for the body/chassis bolts but no big deal... I got mine for £50, last time I looked they were about £100 at heritage...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
slow progress.... 3 hrs of work and not much to show.

Here is the driver's side pillar with a bit more removed, some sandblasting / wire wheeling etc now gotta find / make a good pillar repair.







and the crossmember area - think i'm gonna patch mine up when the body's off. just repairing the outer skin [from the inside] then gonna weld in the strengthening piece i've made.



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
bit of slow progress today

Managed to make the bulkhead inner repair look more like a bit of car! cleaned back to bright steel and prepped using phosphoric acid then sprayed with zinc spray. will coat insides with topcoating tomorrow leaving flanges for welding with zinc finish.



original bit and new bit in forming




early on trial fitting - butt welding fit.




assembled strengthener and bulkhead patch






some pics of the finished parts awaiting welding together then painting in non porous coating.

now making the outer bulkhead patch and trying to figure how i'm gonna fit them in situ when assembled!!
 
1 - 20 of 906 Posts
Top