Volkszone Forum banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Front end panels look like they all match nicely. The joys of using genuine panels?
It were the PO who bought the front panels.

Think the front quarters is either a really god repro or maybe even original.

Front valance is repro but has a quite nice fit.

Front wings is old replacements parts and could be original replacements parts. they have at least 2 times been resprayed with the original green color.
Think they are replacements as they don´t have the grey primer at the first layer, as the rest of the the car has.

But the combination fits nicely together and I am happy. :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Even though I am not going to paint anything before the temperature gets a little higher, I soon have to get closer to deciding the color.

From the outset I were dead set on the GSR theme, but am not so sure about that anymore.!

Have been considering the Porsche color 6601 which is a slate gray that has a greenish tint to it.
Think I have to order a rattle can and hit one of the fenders with it, to see what it looks like.

On pictures it seems to go well both with chrome and satin black. :cool:

Tire Wheel Vehicle registration plate Automotive parking light Car

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Test fitting of all the pan bolts in place and tighten up.

The doors fits quite well. There were a little fiddling but in the end all seems fine.

Only thing.

Right hand door seems to sit a little to high. Will try to squeeze the hinges a little higher in the door or a little lower I the A pillar.
Left hand door, which were a little out of alignment when I tested with the body of the pan, fits now super nicely.

Tried also the fuelfiller door in place. A little to much air at the top to sort out, but not anything alarming.

For now I am quite happy about how everything seems to come together. :)

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Crankset

Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Window

Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle

Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive mirror Automotive design

·
Registered
12,728 Posts
Remember reading about it your Beetle resto saga, but seems to remember someone had a not so nice comments about those colours. :LOL:
You can't please everyone all the time so why bother.

Looks like the 1/4 panel filler flap hole is a slightly different shape to the filler flap. I think mexican/brazilian made panels are slightly different shape round there to german panels.
Can't remember who it was on here had the same problem with their replacement 1/4 and replaced the metal around the filler flap with a section cut from their original panel.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Enlarged the holes for the screw’s in the A pillar so that the hinges could sit a little lower.
The right hand door is now where it should be.

Fuel filler flap.
The bowl for the flap were out of shape and was welded in a tilted to one side.
This combined with the stamping in the front quarter is way to soft at the fuel door edges, gives that the filler door has a wrong fit...

I drilled out the bowl, reshaped it, reshaped the edges in the quarter panel around the filler door and welded the bowl in place again.
Sounds straightforward... It was not... A lot of panel beating and trying to avoid beating the quarter panel out of shape. The afternoon gone..!!

In the end it is not perfect, as a lot of other thing on the car isn’t either, but I am satisfied with the result.
If I am going for perfection, sometimes in the future, I can always reshape the filler door a little. I have also enlarged the screw holes in the bowl. It makes some adjustment possible.

As it is, the car is not going to be a show car, but my daily summer driver, so I don’t bother.

A little fed up with bodywork. :sick:
Hope the sandblaster soon have time for my suspension parts, so I can have a go on that instead.

Automotive tire Gas Auto part Fixture Wood

Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Window Automotive exterior

Fluid Water Material property Plumbing Gas

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design Bumper

Rectangle Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Tints and shades

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
Made myself a workbench.

Building Wood Lighting Interior design Flooring

Before.

Wood Table Fashion design Metal Engineering

After.

Wood Workbench Gas Machine Tool

The garage was never meant to be a workshop.
It was build to house our daily driver.
My old workshop were demolished when we should build an extension to the house and I have never come around to build a new one.
One of the reasons to that have been that I haven’t had the need, and a lager restoration project to justify it.

Now I have a project and no descent workshop, just a tiny garage and a wife who grumbles over our daily is damp and cold, when she needs it..

At least I now have a workbench. Just needs to put up a plywood board to hang my tools up on, instead it is scattered around the garage and house.

I have also done a little to the Bug.

Removed the last factory sounddeading and seamsealer at the back.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle door Gas

Rectangle Building Automotive tire Chair Composite material

Removed also factory and PO applied seamsealer in the freshair box.
Found two tiny holes to weld up........ One in the freshair box and one in rear right side wheel arch.
The one in the wheel arch the PO concealed with some seamsealer.

The front hood looked suspicious at the lower front and had some cracks there.
Reason. A repair have earlier been welded in and a thick layer, around 10 mm, of filler, have been applied.

Fluid Font Metal Paint Auto part

Hood Automotive tire Jaw Wood Automotive design

I made early white Christmas removing filler.

There is also some cracks around the handle.
For now I have been beating the repair into a more decent shape and am going to weld in some reinforcement to avoid further cracking.
It is only going to get a skim of filler. It is hidden low behind the bumper and is only seen with the hood open.

Wood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Fender Gas

Used a vacumcleaner to clean the framehead from 48 years of dirt.
Picture only from after cleaning.
Will try to scrup it a little with a wirebruch on a long shaft to se if I can get it more cleaned out.

Gas Composite material Concrete Tints and shades Soil

Wood Gas Automotive tire Composite material Concrete

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Took also a picture inside the tunnel. It looks farly decent inside.

Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Grey Wood

The plan is to give the inside of the frame som thin cavity oil and spin it around to get it everywhere into every seam and crack..
Same treatment is going to happen to the body, all after painting but before any asampling.

Got also a little setback.. The PO have had the pan sandblasted and painted.
It has to be done again!!
Unfortunally the paint used can be disolved with thinner so it has to come of.

Automotive tire Tire Bumper Carbon Synthetic rubber

It´s going to be painted with epoxy and two pack paint.
It sets me back in time, not a big deal, but it will also take up some money I should have been using on somthing else on the car.

I will se if I can set up a way to sandblast myself using several small air compressor working together. I already have a blasting gun but it needs alot of air.
Must get around the family and see if I can borrow their air compressors.

If it is going to work, I can sandblast all the suspension parts also and save some mony there.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Done some work to the hood.
Made a reinforcement strip for the front edge and a reinforcement around the handle.

Automotive exterior Tool Vehicle door Tints and shades Hand tool

Art paint Paint Grey Tints and shades Art

Bicycle part Metal Bumper Personal protective equipment Fashion accessory

Test fitting.
It still fits.
Have to do a little more panel beating to the lower front part, where the previous patch has been welded in.

Automotive lighting Jaw Hood Lighting Gas

Started on paint stripping.
Have to had the garage door open to let the fumes out. Glad it is not freezing today, but still cold. 🥶

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Car

About me making white Christmas yesterday.
Got a remark from the wife, about the white stuff our daily is covered in. :oops:

Tire Car Vehicle Wheel Automotive tail & brake light

·
Registered
12,728 Posts
About me making white Christmas yesterday.
Got a remark from the wife, about the white stuff our daily is covered in. :oops:

View attachment 297005
Reminds me of the scene in Gone in 60 seconds when a drug dealers Caddy was slolen and it had a boot full of coke.:LOL:

The inside of the tunnel amd framehead looks very tidy. Mine was like this:
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Tire

They're speed holes, not rot letting the sunlight in. Honest. ;)
Automotive tire Gas Tints and shades Asphalt Concrete

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Reminds me of the scene in Gone in 60 seconds when a drug dealers Caddy was slolen and it had a boot full of coke.
Should have collected it and sold it to some yuppies. They never know. :devilish:
It could have made a nice contribution financing my project.

Think you had some nice drain holes there, to “prevent” rust in your tunnel. ;)

·
Registered
448 Posts
Flying threw it, wish mine was going this quickly. Only seem to get a few hours on a Sunday doing mine. Need the longer days and warmer weather to start again.
nice work

Leigh

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Flying threw it, wish mine was going this quickly. Only seem to get a few hours on a Sunday doing mine. Need the longer days and warmer weather to start again.
nice work

Leigh
A lot of work had already been done before I started this tread, but I am trying to do something at lest 4 days a week, even though it sometimes is only small things.

And yes I also miss some warmer weather. It makes everything so much easier. 🌞

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
More paint stripping.

Hood Automotive lighting Asphalt Flash photography Gas

Paint stripping makes a mess out of my garage. :eek:

Automotive tire Tints and shades Motor vehicle Vehicle door Space

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

Found some corrosion under the paint, also where you won´t expect it.
For instance there were also a lot of small red spots under the paint, under the hood! That’s why I think stripping all paint is a good idea.

Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Fluid Bumper

Finished the hood, the underside was a pig to do :mad:, and the outside of one of the doors.

Hood Trunk Motor vehicle Classic car Automotive exterior

Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Window

Now I have to do all the difficult spots.

Magnifying glass Eye Automotive lighting Hood Light

After that the surface is run over with 120K sandpaper and some 1K etch primer.

After that it can sit until all the panels is ready for epoxy. :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
An now to something completely different.

Got a little over enthusiastic with paint stripping. Not a god idea with all that bare metal, no primer, and nearly hundred percent humidity.

Gave the steeringbox a clean and dismantled it.

Wood Gas Cuisine Metal Room

There were a lot of filth inside and some dirty old gear oil.

Black Bay breeze Gas Metal Fashion accessory

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive lighting Automotive wheel system

Helmet Automotive lighting Jaw Motor vehicle Personal protective equipment

Cleaned all the parts and everything looked super..

Gear Gas Differential Auto part Household hardware

Except this.

Someone had welded it up. Probably because it have been adjusted to tight and have made some pitting at the center. As the rest is in excellent shape. It is not because of normal wear.

It is not serviceable, but it is all I have, so I have rubbed it down with some 400K wet and dry.

It is now smooth, but suspect it wont last long.
Hopes it will be ok for a short time and I am on the lookout for a cheap spare.

Think I know who has one, but will wait and see, as the money is not growing on the trees over here..

Nickel Gas Auto part Coil spring Bicycle part

Assembled it moves smooth with not a lot of play. Only ting, there is a little funny spot when it comes to the welded part, but don´t think it will be notably, when driving.

Wood Gas Auto part Electric blue Creative arts

Wonder what the 2 beside the VW logo stands for?

Automotive tire Helmet Wood Artifact Bumper

Have also adjusted the bolt holes in the rear right hand fender so it now fits, and beated the lower front of the front hood a little more into shape.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Great progress, did the paint just come off with a heat gun on the larger areas?
Office supplies Electronic device Font Electric blue Cable

Yes a heat gun and one of these. If it is very sharp, it is going to be easy, if not it can be a little difficult to get it all of in one go.
I started to heat an area. Not to hot. If it bubbles, it is not as easy. Then I just follows the iron with the heat gun and it is like carving in butter.

And yes I am still ongoing with the bug. Although I am hit with a little winter laziness, and it is cold, and the prize of heating is skyrocketing, I have manged to sort out a lot of small tasks, and some new parts has also been collected.

In the near future all the suspension parts is going to the sandblaster and when they are ready, the body is going the same way.

When the body is out, I have some room to dismantle the floor pan. Engine, gearbox and brakelines. Then it is also going to be blasted AGAIN...

For the record.
I have sorted out how to align the doors in an easy way.
Shims between the foremost mounting point on the framehead to body will lower the rearmost door corner.
Shims between the nap hat and the firewall will raise the rearmost corner of the door.
Effectively it is the A post you are tilting back and forth.
P.s. Talking about a 1303.....

21 - 40 of 63 Posts