Volkszone Forum banner
81 - 100 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 · (Edited)
Yes Zebedee I were set on orange RAL 2000 but grew a little tired of the sample I had made.!

It has been extremely difficult for me to chose the right color and I still have my doubt about the subject, but in the end the dissuasion had to be made........

RAL 1005 Honey yellow, is actually not as clean a yellow as it looks on the pictures, but more like the new Peugeot 208 yellow..

And yes Leigh. Now it all seems to get moving.

Today I have tidying up a little. Done some minor tasks and babysitting my daughters new puppy.

I have done some seam sealing. First I brunched a few layer of epoxy on and then sealed on top of that. Ran out of sealer. More will arrive tomorrow.
The sealer is going to get a layer of epoxy before paint. Just to make sure.
Some areas I will just," had already", brush the epoxy on and the the rest will be coated along with the corresponding area.

Bottle Fluid Liquid Glass bottle Alcoholic beverage

Sealer with epoxy on top.
Paint Fluid Gas Tints and shades Fender

Epoxy awaiting sealer.
Jaw Personal protective equipment Nail Cuisine Knee

First layer of sealer.
Hood Automotive lighting Bumper Motor vehicle Vehicle door

Wood Art Space Blood vessel Wrist

Wood Grass Metal Electric blue Paint

The vertical fold on the A-post has also got some attention and came out quite alright.

The right side gave me some headache and the fold had cracked when I bend it over.

I grinded the crack down and welded a seam on the edge. The edge were then grinded back and at last filed into the right shape.

Then it all got a few coats of epoxy.
Hood Bumper Wood Automotive exterior Fender

Puppy....
Dog Dog breed Gesture Carnivore Working animal

Our own dog with the wife’s new orangery.. She had been wanted that for quite some years..

It is also a project I have been working on the last couple of years.
Now nearly done.... Just missing the capping on top of the build-down wall surrounding the patio.

It is made out of two standard 10 m2 greenhouses build together and out of the leftovers I have made the framing for double door build into the foundation.

The inside framing is larch. An old man with his own little sawmill made the raw timber for me..

The foundation is build 70 cm. Into the ground and the inside and the patio is covered in Italian sandstone.

Rainwater from the back of our house goes into a dug down 1000 L. tank with its own pressure water pump and a tap inside the greenhouse, for watering plants.

Oh and yes it has build in electricity and central heating..! Supplied from the house.

Plant Plant community Building Tree Shade

Back to the Beetle.

Next epoxy on the outside and in the trunk. Then paint in the trunk just after that and one more coat of paint in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Have been using God knows how many hours sanding and preparing for the first coat of epoxy.

And if that was not enough, somebody have had the brilliant idea of drilling 16 holes in the A and B- posts to treat it with cavity oil. Came to wonder what all the holes were for and found out they were for nothing...

So back again to welding and more unevenness to have fun putting filler into.

I did not take the roof back to bare metal because it has many many dents and some of them has already been taken care of before a previous respray. Instead I had the task to sand transitions between the sandblasted areas and the maybe 10 layers of paint on the roof.

Now it is all in epoxy primer and the inside and the trunk is painted.

Ready for epoxy.
Automotive lighting Gas Bumper Automotive exterior Hood

Brown Hood Wood Automotive lighting Vehicle door

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Paint Automotive exterior Wood

All primed with epoxy.
Vehicle door Automotive exterior Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Event

Automotive design Vehicle Wood Vehicle door Automotive exterior

Hood Automotive design Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

And......... PAINT :D

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Bumper Motor vehicle

Wood Motor vehicle Amber Automotive design Gas

The next days I will see if I can use some of the 4 kilo of filler I have bought. :LOL:

My air extractor gave up just before I were done today. It has been sounded sick for a long time so it did not come as a surprice, but I will see if I can fix it.
It is a great help with sanding dust, and keeping the fumes and paint dust out.
I use a mask but it is nice for visibility and overall cleanliness.

·
Registered
1974 1200
46 Posts
Have been using God knows how many hours sanding and preparing for the first coat of epoxy.

And if that was not enough, somebody have had the brilliant idea of drilling 16 holes in the A and B- posts to treat it with cavity oil. Came to wonder what all the holes were for and found out they were for nothing...

So back again to welding and more unevenness to have fun putting filler into.

I did not take the roof back to bare metal because it has many many dents and some of them has already been taken care of before a previous respray. Instead I had the task to sand transitions between the sandblasted areas and the maybe 10 layers of paint on the roof.

Now it is all in epoxy primer and the inside and the trunk is painted.

Ready for epoxy.
View attachment 301775

View attachment 301776

View attachment 301777

All primed with epoxy.
View attachment 301778

View attachment 301779

View attachment 301780

And......... PAINT :D

View attachment 301781

View attachment 301782

View attachment 301783

The next days I will see if I can use some of the 4 kilo of filler I have bought. :LOL:

My air extractor gave up just before I were done today. It has been sounded sick for a long time so it did not come as a surprice, but I will see if I can fix it.
It is a great help with sanding dust, and keeping the fumes and paint dust out.
I use a mask but it is nice for visibility and overall cleanliness.
She’s going to be a wicked looking car in that colour

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Started the next dusty part today... Filler..

Ready to go.
Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

On the way.
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle Vehicle door

On the way.
Hood Wood Automotive tire Bumper Aircraft

Have also started on the other side and other small dents and weldings on various places.

If all goes as predicted, filler on the body could be finished sometime next week.

Then a few layers of epoxy and finally paint.

That means the body I all done. :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Today is one year celebration.:cool:

It is exactly one year since I brought home the abandoned, hastily thrown together project of my 1303.

The past year has been uses to dismantle everything.

Sort all the fuckups, done by the po, out.

Doing a great deal of bodywork.

Stripping paint from the doors, decklid and bonnet.

Cleaning and sandblasting the major part of lose parts and the body.

Plus a lot of other minor tasks.

Now the body is almost painted and today I got the most of the filling on it behind me..

Just the roof left. I will drop the body to the floor to get a more comfortable work height.

When the body is all painted it is going to be treated with a high-penetration non hardening oil based corrosion inhibitor.

The treatment is going to take place over 4 days, where the body is going to be places bottom up, one etch sides and finally in the normal position.

On every position all cavities is going to be sprayed and allowed to set for 24 hours, thereby allowing the treatment to run into every single corner, overlap and welding.

The wings, bonnet and decklid is left as is until the body is back on the pan and on wheels. I don’t want to have newly painted parts laying around.
In my cramped space , they are just going to be scratched...

Maybe I will do the doors next. They can go back onto the body.

Or the pan.....

Or I will fit the dashboard and wiring loom.

Or I could even take a few days of! :coffee:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Thank you all for your kind support.
It is one of those things that gives the extra boost to keep the work going on.

Finished the last few dents on the body and lowered it down to start on the roof.

Yellow Automotive tire Fender Motor vehicle Tints and shades

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Bumper

Window Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Automotive exterior Fender

Wrote yesterday the fenders were left undone until last minute.... But now I have dug the rear ones out and while waiting for some filler to harden, I took the DA sander and sanded one of them down. While I were at it I could just as well fill some dents in it. It is going to get a coat of epoxy along with the body. Will do the other one also.

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Fender Gas Automotive tire

Started with a wood block and a hammer to beat out some of the dents in the roof. Got a little overenthusiastic and and gave an old already filled dent some beating.
That was not a god idea.
The old filler cracked and I had to sand down the area. So much for the plan to do the roof the easy way!

Paint Art paint Art Flooring Painting

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Worked on the roof today.

Gas Composite material Concrete Flooring Linens

While waiting for filler to harden. Did the rear fenders. The inside was sprayed with some black hard waxoil. The firs one I removed it with thinner. It was a mess! After that I dug out the sandblaster and blasted it of. Sandblasted also the edges and a few rusts spots while I was at it.

One of the fenders had a fair amount of dents. The other one has none. I am not going to make a show car, therefore it is only dents that will get filler. All unevenness will be left as is, and that goes for the rest of the car also.

The fender with none dents had a lot of hair like rust under the primer. Not anything that gois into the surface, but took it back to bare metal to be sure.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Synthetic rubber Vehicle Wheel

Shoe Plant Human body Basic pump Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Automotive exterior Bumper

Grey Rectangle Road surface Beige Tints and shades

The end of filler on the roof and the rest of the body... I think...

Tints and shades Gas Wood Arch Ceiling

Now comes the task of cleaning out all the dust before painting! :eek:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Gave the body and rear fenders a layer of epoxy primer.

Ran out of primer and have ordered some more.

Blocked the body down and put filler in some minor imperfections that has shown up.

Thing it will need two more layers.

Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Hood

Automotive design Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior Beige

Had some spare time today and used some of it to sandblast 14 more parts.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Bumper

Sandblasting in the driveway is a dusty business.

Car Automotive parking light Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Have also run out of hardener for the yellow paint.
Considering buying 4 L more paint now with the hardener as the rest of the first 4 L isn’t enough for the rest of the car.
Tough decision as money is tight for the moment. Have already spend a lot of money on the Bug this month..!!!!!!

On the other hand. If I don’t paint weary soon it will get to cold, and I will have to wait until spring.........

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
Received the ordered Mipa Epoxy primer today and gave the newly sandblasted parts and the rear fenders a few layers.

There were barely enough for the fenders last time, because I ran out of primer, therefore they were primed again. They will now go to the loft with the front ones until they are needed.

Table Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Outdoor furniture

Automotive tire Wood Gas Automotive wheel system Auto part

Gave also the edges on the body a few layers along with the places I have sanded trough.

Sleeve Wood Creative arts Fender Hardwood

Tomorrow I will prime the hole body. After that it should rest for at least 24 hours before I will sand it with 400 grit. If it turns out OK I will leave it at that and paint it, otherwise it will get one more layer of primer.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
Gave the body a few layers of primer- epoxy.
I have toned the primer with some black because yellow on light Grey / white is not the best combination for coverage and the right color.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Auto part Aircraft Vehicle door Automotive tire Automotive exterior

More yellow paint arrived today.
I will use this for everything on the outside of the car, to avoid any small differences in color, between the two deliveries.

Drinkware Liquid Fluid Paint Tin

Most of the lose parts I have sandblasted and primed with etch primer, got a layer of epoxy.
Including the parts from yesterday, to use the rest of the mix.

Table Automotive tire Bird Plant Chair

Plant Chair Tree Table Wood

Hood Grey Floor Flooring Fender

As weather and time allows it I will sand the body and paint some of the lose parts black.

After sanding the body I will decide if it is ready for paint. :unsure:

81 - 100 of 111 Posts