Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i currently have a jeans beetle and have been offered a good condition 1303 but i have no idea what the difference is and what is better??

p;lease help me out and give me some information on the pros and cons :D thanx x

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
dont ask for that.
1303 is big personal thing.
they are a bit more modern, but do rust generally more.
they have a lot different looks.
some people like them, other people hate them!

·
Registered
10,112 Posts
bet youd love one.
He keeps asking to buy mine in PMs but he won't admit it.

I'm tempted but hes wants it swapped with some hunk o junk splitty... :incheek:

I am biased but 1303s were the last incarnation of beetle and so are the most technically advanced.

The suspension and handling are far better than earlier beetles as they have McPherson struts and "IRS" rear ends. They also have a lot more luggage space thanks to the spare wheel sitting flat in the bonnet as opposed to earlier upright styles.

Looks-wise its a marmite thing but I love mine and think they look sweet

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
He keeps asking to buy mine in PMs but he won't admit it.

I'm tempted but hes wants it swapped with some hunk o junk splitty... :incheek:

I am biased but 1303s were the last incarnation of beetle and so are the most technically advanced.

The suspension and handling are far better than earlier beetles as they have McPherson struts and "IRS" rear ends. They also have a lot more luggage space thanks to the spare wheel sitting flat in the bonnet as opposed to earlier upright styles.

Looks-wise its a marmite thing but I love mine and think they look sweet
that looks sweet.
from outside i dont mind them at all, but would choose a different model if i had the choice.

the dash bugs me though!

·
Registered
10,112 Posts
that looks sweet.
from outside i dont mind them at all, but would choose a different model if i had the choice.

the dash bugs me though!
Thats why I'm taking the nasty plastic off and welding up the holes so that it will end up like the dash on this one

That, a head unit and a few choice 944 gauges and then you have a schweet 03 dash!

·
Registered
10,112 Posts
you dont want that, ive never seen it go anywhere under its own steam:p
I know.

Fun Fact. I have not seen it at one show where it wasn't being worked on at some point or another :lol:

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
a 1303 is as variable as any other beetle, true, not so suited to resto-cal, but can be done, where as looks awesome as euro-look as well as anything modern

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
15,990 Posts
Buy whichever one has the least rust. Nothing else matters as much as that.

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
11,288 Posts
you dont want that, ive never seen it go anywhere under its own steam:p
:lol: no it will get to shows . . . just not home again ;)

anyway . . . 1303s have a curved windscreen, and therefore a deeper plastic padded dash, bigger rear lights (referred to as elephant feet), macpherson front suspension instead of a torsion beam (like a more modern car), IRS rear suspension (like a more modern car) and generally they appear bigger, fatter

I've had 1303s and I liked them to drive but I prefer flat screen beetles for looks

03s do tend to rust worse and their resale value isn't as good but really it's down to personal taste

:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.