Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello people
my sister is after a standard 1600 to fit her 72 bay and is asking what engine to go for... i dunno if the mexican vw engine is worth the extra few hundred quid so wondered if any of you guys have any experience with either the remtec or mexican vw replacement engines?
cheers
mabbo

·
Premium Member
43,484 Posts
i'm running a remtec recon in my split. its a 1600 single port. i had a 1600 twin port in there before, the sp has more torque so is better suited to vans. i would recommend them all day long. have no experience of the mexi engines so can't comment :D

·
Registered
187 Posts
I had a new Mexican engine fitted in my bay a few months ago. Brilliant. On a single progressive Weber it cruises happily at 70 and 80 isnt a problem. Pulls like a train and is as smooth as you like. Dont know anything about Remtec but wouldnt bother looking anywhere else but Mexican if I ever bought another new engine.

·
Registered
619 Posts
ive had one of the new mexican ones fitted in my daily driver bay for about a year now and done many long journeys to shows etc with no probs whatsoever, so would highly reccomend them

my mate recently bought a remtec 1600 for his baja and has had nothing but trouble from the crappy 009 it comes fitted with, apparantly he cant change it as this may affect his warranty:rolleyes:

i'd go with the mexican :)

·
Registered
420 Posts
ive had one of the new mexican ones fitted in my daily driver bay for about a year now and done many long journeys to shows etc with no probs whatsoever, so would highly reccomend them

my mate recently bought a remtec 1600 for his baja and has had nothing but trouble from the crappy 009 it comes fitted with, apparantly he cant change it as this may affect his warranty:rolleyes:

i'd go with the mexican :)
Oh damn I was goin to get an exchange engine but was wondering about the warranty, suppose i should look into the mexican engines then...

·
Registered
11,191 Posts
The new engines are the same price as a remtec. I have fitted both & the new one is the way to go. Why have a recon when you can have new.

What Brian said, speak to fisher with some pound notes, He is a top bloke!

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Had a remtec in my van and disappointingly it lost compression on two cylinders after around 4k miles in 15 months. Had a lot of trouble with the suppliers and it became too much trouble to pursue. During disassembly it was clear that things hadn't been torqued down and items I would have expected to be replaced just hadn't been. Should have done more research before parting with the cash :(
Just my experience.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I'd be interested in anyone elses views on this too, as i'm gonna be getting a replacement unit next month and was originally gonna go for the remtec with the new case, coz remtecs have a 2 year warranty now but would i still be better going with the mexican:confused:

Thanks for any info

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok, just over a grand 4 a new engine outright aint bad i guess... especially with all these +ve comments :D

better get 1 ordered.

cheers 4 advice people

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Remtec

I pulled a Remtec out my van just before xmas. It had done about 15,000 miles over 3 years. well looked after too, oil changed every 3,000 miles. Knocking like hell from the bottom end ! Fooked ! Waste of money and time

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I bought a car once that allegedly had a remtec in there (and there was a receipt that looks real enough to proove it was a infact the same engine).

If it was a re-con, it either was a bad one, or the chap who had the car before me didn't follow the service instructions for running it in/getting it checked.

It leaked oil, bores wore very quickly and it ended up being skiped when it decided to melt number 3 piston due to a valve dropping.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I had a 1600cc TP Remtec in my bus for 2 and a half years, in that time I had the rear main flywheel oil seal replaced 5 times! Used to leak oil massively at times (sometimes 2 pints a day)

Turns out the case and been drilled to relieve pressure where the seal sits, so it was always gonna leak, and it had been shimmed from the outside of the case rather than the inside!! Oil drain channels at the rear of the engine where block hard with assembly sealant.

Piece of junk; and it had a Big boys Toys 1995 stamp on the case, and was sold as a Remtec unit in a VW crate when I picked it up. Sold to me by a very reputable supplier.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.