Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello guys

iv had a look on the net and found that a 175/55 tyre should be fitted on a wheel between 5 and 6.5 inches wide...

what i want to know is, what would happen if i fitted it to a 4.5 inch wheel? would it be unsafe? how would it affect the handling? and, would it look dumb?

cheers
mabbo

·
I'm not an addict... honest!
4,995 Posts
its probably because they a quite a low profile and a wider wheel would keep the side wall square
i've got 185/65s on 4.5" rims not that that helps much but i'm sur there are plenty of people running them on stock width rims
:)

any one know what width standard smart car rear wheels are???

·
Highly Respected Member
13,498 Posts
I'm running pirelli P3000, 175 / 65 /15's on my stock early rims, they go on fine, look almost stock from the side (virtually the same diameter as a stock tyre, so speedo reads OK)

Thoroughly recomended.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey guys
thanks for the advice... im still trying to decide to go for a full set of 5.5s or 5.5 rears and 4.5 fronts.
i dont want my tyres scrubbing, and i want it to handle as well as i can make it handle...
do you have any pics of your wheel/tyre combo Forsch + Mr.Whippy?

any1 else got anything to add?
cheers

·
Highly Respected Member
13,498 Posts
Haven't got any pics of thje car on the 175/65/15's I'm afraid, car is now in the garage for resto, still on it's wheels but minus wings. I'll take a photo if you like though.

Car has king / link pin suspension, lowered approx 2 1/2 inches (subtle) by beam adjusters, front disc conversion spaces out wheels by approx 6mm, car has 6V wings. Wheels are wide 5 stock solids. No scrubbing problems, even when fully loaded.

Dave.

·
www.SS9Design.co.uk
12,555 Posts
they'll be tight to fit (and your tyre fitter may hate you), but the width issue shouldn't be a problem (it's more to do with the tight sidewalls). however, when you consider that a 145/65 puts more tread on the tarmac than a conventional 165 firestone f-560, do you really need to step up to a 175? I've found a modern 145 smart tyre to be more than up to the job on most street beetles. (Paul Bate runs them on his 10-sec street Bug with vented and drilled CSP discs front and solid discs rear and his car handles well and stops on a dime - are you likely to be pushing your car harder than that on a regular basis? If so, you might want a wider rim to stop the wheel 'floating' within the wider rubber. a 5.5 with a 175 will feel 'tighter' than a 4.5 with the same tyre.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers for the reply Paul,

My bug will be used on the road and id like to take it around a few race tracks, but just for fun, nothing serious. Im hoping to have close to 200bhp when she is back on the road (1955cc EFI Turbo) so i want it to stop well, and handle well.
I was planning on using 944 front and rear disks but that has gone tits up (long story) so iv decided on stock VW disks at the front and probrally a CB rear kit when iv got some money.
Iv had bugs with 145 smarts on before and it handled ok, but id like to be able to throw it around corners a little more than before so thought the 175s would be better.
The issue with the 4.5 or 5.5 rim size is that im going for a set of GT steels (cheap) and have the chance to have 5.5 rears and 4.5 fronts, or, 5.5 all around. Im not sure which offset version they are (apparently they could be et26 or et34) but i dont want them to rub on the arches because im lowering the car more than it is in the pic. In the pic you can see the problem im having with the crappy offset empi 8 and the tall 165 tyres... but i shouldnt complain because my mate has lent them to me untill i can get my wheels and tyres sorted.

I still aint got a clue what to do... i thought the 4.5s would stop the rubbing on the arches all together, but i guess the 5.5s would have a big enough offset to stop the tyres rubbing anyway?

mabbo

·
Registered
614 Posts
Anything above 165 and i'd be looking to get a bigger rim - as the good man said: what's the pojnt if you're getting a larger 'footprint' from a michy 145?! Have had 165s on stocks before, and because they're larger you should(?) run them at lower pressures as they don't need to be pumped up as much to carry the same weight (volume inside tyre etc)....they were well blooney with no sidewall stiffness as a consequence so I wouldn't even recommend those.....could do with more people's driving experiences & tyre combos really!?

Got a stock '65, now lowered 1 spline at the back ( :D ), will be having michy 155s at the back and 145s at the front: thinking the handling should be ok for a swingaxle(?) An interesting topic....

Matt :hangloose

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cheers mate,
looks like ill be getting the full set of 5.5s then... hope they have a good offset.
mabbo

1 - 11 of 11 Posts