Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of putting my 1914 bus engine into my 63 1200 bug (If I can work out where to locate external oil cooler etc - am new to bugs so everything is a bit of a guess)

Am I right in thinking that it would be a complete no no to mate it up to the 1200 gearbox? I have been told that a 1303 box would be better but envisage mounting problems.

If a 1303 box is the way to go how much should I expect to pay for one?

I appreciate I'm asking loads of questions but if anyone can offer advice it would be very welcome.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
the 1200 box will be fine for now, just don't launch hard. The gearing is low so will be okay around town but the motorway will be aweful.

Buy a built box for about £600 and you can sort out what ratios you will need to get optimum curising etc.

·
I'm not an addict... honest!
4,995 Posts
etiennevert said:
I have been told that a 1303 box would be better but envisage mounting problems.
a 1303 'box is "IRS" were as your '63 is swing axle so you will have to convert your chassis to IRS by welding on brackets and a bit of clearencing. As Lids says theres nowt wrong with a 1200 'box if you treat it with respect and a degree of mechanical sympathy.
An option would be to use a GT gearbox 'coz it has longer gearing for better m'way crusing - not sure its any stronger than a 1200/1300 'box though
:)
£120-150 is average for a s/h gt box

...and you may need to clearance your 1200 'box to accept the flywheel of your 1914 - someone else may be able to confirm this - it's not a big job

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your help

Will check out the flywheel/clearance issue. Am only looking to do this as a temporary measure whilst I sort out the oil leaks on my 1200 engine as I use the car daily (don't trust myself to get everthing done and working in a weekend :crazy: ).

Thanks again.

·
I'm not an addict... honest!
4,995 Posts
something else to considder is your electrical system,
is the beetle converted to 12volt, i take it your 1914 is built up
has the 1914 got an alternator or dynamo and does the beetle have the relevent voltage regulator?
there are a few different systems and all are wired differently
6v dynamo
12v dynamo
12v altenator internal reg
12v altenator external reg
these aren't big problems, you can swap over from your 1200 engine but easy to over look when you on a tight time scale to get finished

1 - 5 of 5 Posts