Volkszone Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i cant believe i have arrived at a stage where i am having to consider selling my '49!!

Due to (future! ) family commitments and working 7 days a week with my business. Im lacking time and money. I dont want to sell the car ive grown to love it so much and when i think of the work ive done to it, id be loosing so much.

for those who dont know me, me car is a November 1949 standard beetle. original colour is bordeaux red.
the car is buy no means for the purist, i bought it as the bare shell and the chassis also. so everything else on the car i have had to source myself!!!!
this means the car will never be 100% original, but at the same time its as close as i can get to been correct within my capabilities. indeed if i had it for the next 10 years some parts could be changed as and when they were found (Ie i have a '54 36hp engine) (well its better than having airbags and empis on it)

My chassis is fully restored, less cable brake parts in the drums!
the body is sandblasted, zinc primered and primered.

i have everything else for it (in cupboards, under the bed, in the kitchen, bet im not the only one!)

THIS IS WHAT IM MISSING

Rear lights (49 only with aluminum ring)

Front and rear bumpers thicker ones with rib (may-dec 49 only)

overiders (late 49 only)

running boards (49-53 only)

door catches and latches

Front headlights (any pre 67 will do, prefer pre 53, i have new lamps if needed)

speedo housing/ baklite pod surround (must be brown)

Glove pocket mouldings and aluiminumn surrounds (47-53)

semaphore switch (must be black)

ZAR tag (fuel on off switch orig or reop will do)

interior door handles and window handles (with black bakelite)

Wireing loom (49-53 6 volt)

shoes, springs, levers for drum internals on cable brakes

fuel tank (may-dec 49 only with large filler neck and alli cap)

Oh and 2 liters of bordeaux red

sad thing is im now at a crossroads. looks like the car will have to go, its now just a case of when?

Do i sell up now, my wife will be pleased for me! i could if i sold now 'break even' obviously this would not include all my labour and fuel for driving to every corner of the country for parts. but al least id be getting back some/most of the money i have chucked at it?
this seems the easiesr route but im so sad that i havnt finnished the car, ive never "not finninhed a car".

So do i carry on, investing more money i reckon it needs another £2000 to get it on the road. maby if i finish it my wife will like it so much she will want to keep it?

thing is im aware that i'll never make a profit on the car! but do i break even now, or try and get the car on the road with another £2000, but then will i break even if i still have to sell? as i said its tricky as the true purists will pick holes with it but because its standard the airbag boys will also not want it?

oh, my minds all over the place.......someone tell me what to do!!!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I dont need the money now but in 9months i may need it!!

Also ive just built my house, got so much work on i havnt even got time to finnish it off, let alone a car as well.

also as much as i want to keep it, part of me thinks it would be better of in the hands of someone who can do it proud, drive it, show it. i can see it sitting im my workshop for 5, 10 years as it is!

Im not sure what its worth. im totting up what it owes me at the mo (just parts wise, im forgetting the 100's of hours and fuel used)

i know mint/original/correct 49's can go for £25k but this car will never be that. anyway those cars probably had a now expence spared £30k chucked at them in restoration!!

i reckon if i "finished" my 49 to as correct as i can realistically make it. it could go for £10k maby more if i had a few more correct bits ie rear lights, correct switches etc maby 13k?

anyway i knew everyone would say keep it, but that option isnt looking too promising, its more a case of do it now or finish it and sell?

·
Administrator
166,984 Posts
I dont need the money now but in 9months i may need it!!

Also ive just built my house, got so much work on i havnt even got time to finnish it off, let alone a car as well.

also as much as i want to keep it, part of me thinks it would be better of in the hands of someone who can do it proud, drive it, show it. i can see it sitting im my workshop for 5, 10 years as it is!

Im not sure what its worth. im totting up what it owes me at the mo (just parts wise, im forgetting the 100's of hours and fuel used)

i know mint/original/correct 49's can go for £25k but this car will never be that. anyway those cars probably had a now expence spared £30k chucked at them in restoration!!

i reckon if i "finished" my 49 to as correct as i can realistically make it. it could go for £10k maby more if i had a few more correct bits ie rear lights, correct switches etc maby 13k?

anyway i knew everyone would say keep it, but that option isnt looking too promising, its more a case of do it now or finish it and sell?
By your own reckoning . . . it would be worth a lot less as it stands (in bits) . . . so, I'd suggest finishing it would make more financial sense anyway . . . and you MAY even decide you love it :)

Good luck with whatever you decide :hug:

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
From reading your list of original parts needed, most of those are just trim and alternative parts are available that would get the car on the road for now - lights, fuel tank, etc. Little bits that can be changed at a later date (as and when you source them in the future).

Get it finished as best you can with what you've got, using alternatives for now. Then drive it.
You've done the grunt work of body and chassis. You've done the hard part. You've got almost all the parts. You've got the better part of nine months, the warmer Spring and Summer weather ahead, so go for it.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Keeep it man! it can only grow in value and when are you gonna get the chance to own a 49 again!!

2k is nothing in the grand scheme of things, just take your time. no rush mate.

any chance of some pickkies :crazy: ????
i havnt taken any pics since last summer, i could take some freshones, but will have to wait untill the rain stops theres no way this baby is getting wet!
i have some real old pics on this pc and some more recent ones on the motherinlaws.

i havnt got a clus how to post pics on here, and dont recomend photobucket or something stupid like that, cos ive tried it before. im a 1 finger typer!!! maby i can email some old pics to someone who knows how to post? will take new ones as soon as weather allows.

ok i really think she has to go (the car..lol) i dont think theres any way to keeping her. i just want your views on wether id be best to sell now or spend some and sell for more. my thinking at the mo is ok i could spend another 2/3k on it but its only gna sell for 2/3k more that it will now!! and thats not including labour/time!!!

i reckon it would easily sell for 10k if i can get it on the road, yes it is a really rare car. ive heard of people who have spent 15 years looking for a 49. maybe luck but i found this one in two weeks of deciding i wanted a split window car!

i think 10 would be realistic as ive said to get it on the road a few parts would be 50's, so puristis would not wana pay 15kplus that these correct cars go for.

I think also i should add here as alot of you say about regert. and yes i regret every car ive ever sold. but this is an unavoiadable situation im in. my family and my happiness/sanity are more important than any piece of metal no matter how rare it is. id really like more comments on what to do and i dont mean keep it. i gotta be realistic use my brain not my heart here.

im going to have to make a decision in the next few weeks!! as its looking 80% likley that i'll be posting in classifieds, and ebay!

·
I really must get out more
7,407 Posts
I wouldn't sell it... it's not like you can replace it that easily is it? Look at me with my 71 cab, if I need the money I can sell it and know that I can find a pretty much identical or better one when I'm ready. A 49 however, is pretty damned impossible to replace. Don't do it! Like someone else said, who else do you know with a 40's bug?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

thanks for pic post

colud i please point out the first pic is from when i bouhgt it 3 years ago it does not look anything like that anymore!!! dont be phased buy the pic, since then its been sandblasted, metalworked, zinc dipped and primererd, and now sits on its fully restored chassis.
i'll have to get hold of some newer pics!

thanks again

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.