Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 1950, beetle engine. Anyone know how to get the head bolts undone. Appears to be a sleeve down the holes in the head where the head bolts are. Cant get a socket on them. Do the sleeves come out? Any help appreciated.

·
Premium Member
8,997 Posts
From your description this doesn't sound like a standard 1950 VW Beetle engine, Beetle heads are fastened-down on the ends of long studs, by nuts which are easily accessible.
Show us a picture of the engine and those "sleeves", someone may be able to identify it for you.

·
Registered
5,959 Posts
1950 as in the year or 1950cc's?

Some photos would help.

Reactions: Bada Ben

·
Registered
60 Posts
Got a 1950, beetle engine. Anyone know how to get the head bolts undone. Appears to be a sleeve down the holes in the head where the head bolts are. Cant get a socket on them. Do the sleeves come out? Any help appreciated.
The heads on 25hp engines are usually held on with Allen head nuts 8mm irrc

·
Administrator
166,881 Posts
The heads on 25hp engines are usually held on with Allen head nuts 8mm irrc
gwal is correct.

A 1950 Bug should have a 25hp engine and the heads look like this(ish) ...

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Locking hubs Automotive exterior

When you say (write) 'sleeve' did you mean the raised casting - circled in red above?

If so, they should be Allen head nuts. Check with a torch, my guess is, they are Allen nuts and you should be able to get an Allen drive on them.

Later heads look like this(ish)...

Automotive lighting Engineering Gas Machine Auto part

The threads on the studs poke through and they have regular hex nuts.

Good luck.

(y)

·
Registered
9,836 Posts
gwal is correct.

A 1950 Bug should have a 25hp engine and the heads look like this(ish) ...

View attachment 295752

When you say (write) 'sleeve' did you mean the raised casting - circled in red above?

If so, they should be Allen head nuts. Check with a torch, my guess is, they are Allen nuts and you should be able to get an Allen drive on them.

Later heads look like this(ish)...

View attachment 295753

The threads on the studs poke through and they have regular hex nuts.

Good luck.

(y)
My 36HP 1200 for my Oval was a combination of teh 2 heads pictured. The middle studs were sunken and the outers weren't. Used normal nuts that a thin wall socket could get to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts