Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Looking for some advice please...

I have an oil leak from the bellhousing, before getting the car the main flywheel seal was changed twice but it still leaks.

What else could it be if not that?

I went to start the car yesterday and it wouldnt start, I was pressing the throttle down and getting no squirt of fuel, eventually I started getting fuel in from the accelerator nozzle in the carb and it started but then it began dropping for fun out if the bellhousing.

I'm not sure if I can smell a hint of fuel in the oil or not, I have checked the fuel pump manually and seems to be working as it should, I cant see a it leaking other than the grease looked very wet last night when I took it off and very slimey almost. When checking the oil level previously I am sure it was lower than it is now but on checking with my dad he says the oil looks good, we tried lighting it to see if fuel in but nothing but unsure if would mixed with oil.

I have left it to sit to see if it does leak but nothing as yet, and it didn't leak when I manually worked the pump connected to the fuel lines.

28 pic Solex, Carb float, I pulled the top off and checked the float which all looked normal, the cut off valve did look a little too short to hit the float though but couldn't be certain, it had a washer on it, I have swapped this with another one for now which seems a better length.

But I wouldn't think the carb cut off would put so much fuel into the engine that it leaks out of the bellhousing.

Anything you would suggest am willing to give a go 馃

Registered
Could it be gear oil. Did you replace the O ring in the fly wheel. Is the flywheel grooved where the crank seal lip is. Is the engine breather blocked. Petrol in oil will be thin like water. Today's fuel evaporates in the float bowel. Plus the carb needs a strip n overhaul, possibly replacing. End of the day, the motor needs to come out. How much end float is there.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not much end float at all defintely within limit I would say

Don't think it's gear oil but will check when pull engine

I haven't seen the flywheel myself but they said who built it back up it looked good and o ring was changed too

Registered
The heat will expand everything. So tight, sealed joints etc can become leaks, the damage is probably done, test again after your finished what your doing today. If no change, take it out and take some pics of seal, fly, case etc

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Engines out, changed oil before doing so when checking fuel pump and carb and still leaked oil from bellhousing in minutes, drained it and couldn't smell fuel

Got it out but waiting on locking tool so can get big nut off to see the other side but doesn't look best of condition
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Vehicle brake Metalworking

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah my old neighbour has the gear to get it running ill have to reach out, someone will help me out local hopefully 馃憤

If I can't sort it here it's going back to the seller on a pellet for them to resolve it

Registered
Old old cases like this, when the case is split, I dremil an oil return groove into the case half mating surfaces at the 6 o'clock position, this stops oil pooling up behind the seal on switch off.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts