Volkszone Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

Premium Member
Hopefully something is obvious to you as it isnt to me 馃槙
There are a few issues.
That flywheel does not appear to belong to that engine, it is an early flywheel without the O ring seal in the flywheel, (this type relied on a paper gasket instead). It has been drilled for 8 dowels, but your crank only has the standard 4 dowels, and the flywheel was never sealed to the end of the crankshaft properly anyway. There is also a wear groove where it contacts the lip of the oil seal, this means it may not be tight enough in the seal and will leak. The oil seal isn't fitted correctly, not deep enough in the case, and not even straight. The end of the crank, the case, and the main bearing all look slightly "battered", as does the flywheel, all these can contribute to leakage.
As mentioned by GARRICK.CLARK, the pool of oil behind the oil seal indicates that the oil return channel/drilling in the crankcase may be blocked or at least restricted.
There should be 3 shims behind the oil seal, did you remove them for the photos ?
Are you sure it is a 1958 30 BHP engine ? it looks later than that, (only the flywheel is the early type). What's the engine Number prefix code ?

Registered
The seal that was in the case looked in at the bottom and out at the top. And it looked hammered in, get a new seal and fit it over the fly to check the fit. It should have a good amount of resistance when you spin it. Also I'd be tempted to swap that 8 dowel fly wheel in case it doesn't fit well. No sealant is needed. Get the tool to install the new 1.no hammers to be used. Fit another o ring in the back of the fly. Grease the O ring before fitting. Lol. Sounds dodgy that bit.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks both will check those, it does have 3 shims I could get 1 off but other two couldn't pull them out and have up at this point...

Engine numbers attached, its matching numbers with the car, gearbox too.

Registered
A lot of type 1 cases don't have an oil return channel. I replicated the channel when I noticed that late type 4 cases had them from the factory. I've a feeling this motor is gunna need to be split n checked again, and while it's apart a channel needs putting into it to stop the oil pool. Crank seals need all the help they can get.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I've been speaking to the guys who built the car and engine and they are taking the engine back Tuesday to take a look over it, I don't wsnt to be guessing when I don't have the knowledge like you guys, hopefully they give it some good attention but I have mentioned everything you've said to them.

Thanks for all your help those who commented 馃檹 best page I've been on for genuine support by a mile.

Premium Member
Engine Number 2479462 was built in 1959. If you get a replacement flywheel, make sure it matches the crank, (IIRC a late flywheel won't fit on an early crank).
"Zundfolge" means "Firing order" in German ;)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
There are a few issues.
That flywheel does not appear to belong to that engine, it is an early flywheel without the O ring seal in the flywheel, (this type relied on a paper gasket instead). It has been drilled for 8 dowels, but your crank only has the standard 4 dowels, and the flywheel was never sealed to the end of the crankshaft properly anyway. There is also a wear groove where it contacts the lip of the oil seal, this means it may not be tight enough in the seal and will leak. The oil seal isn't fitted correctly, not deep enough in the case, and not even straight. The end of the crank, the case, and the main bearing all look slightly "battered", as does the flywheel, all these can contribute to leakage.
As mentioned by GARRICK.CLARK, the pool of oil behind the oil seal indicates that the oil return channel/drilling in the crankcase may be blocked or at least restricted.
There should be 3 shims behind the oil seal, did you remove them for the photos ?
Are you sure it is a 1958 30 BHP engine ? it looks later than that, (only the flywheel is the early type). What's the engine Number prefix code ?
There was only the one shim too

Registered
Sometimes when only 1 shim creates the correct end play the back of the flywheel will need machining. Another flywheel may have more room for the correct 3 shim pack. Engines aren't a bolt together thing.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Hi all

Nearly there just trying to sort the gasket for crankshaft ahft dowel but got one off coolairvw and too big, one out of 1200cc kit too big too so waiting on one from Germany, any of you had the same issue?

Premium Member
Hi all

Nearly there just trying to sort the gasket for crankshaft ahft dowel but got one off coolairvw and too big, one out of 1200cc kit too big too so waiting on one from Germany, any of you had the same issue?
I rebuilt a 30 bhp engine a long time ago, I don't remember all the details, but I did have to get a gasket set which was specifically for the 30 bhp engine.
When you say the gaskets from Coolair and from a 1200 kit are too big, do you mean the outer diameter ? too big to fit in the recess in the flywheel ? Can you post a picture.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I rebuilt a 30 bhp engine a long time ago, I don't remember all the details, but I did have to get a gasket set which was specifically for the 30 bhp engine.
When you say the gaskets from Coolair and from a 1200 kit are too big, do you mean the outer diameter ? too big to fit in the recess in the flywheel ? Can you post a picture.
Yeah that's right it won't fit into the recess. The one off cool air says for a 30hp,the other out of 1200 kit was from heritage or something from my old bug.

Here's a few photos, I've got one coming from Germany what says 30hp so hopefully that will be different but just wondering what other people have done accessing these in UK
Automotive tire Tire Wheel Finger Vehicle brake

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Wheel Rim

Hand Automotive tire Wheel Tire Door

Premium Member
Thanks for the pictures, it is probably due to the difference in crank and flywheel size between 30 bhp and the later engines.
As I mentioned, I just got a full 30 bhp engine gasket set, so I never noticed there was a difference.
Engine Gasket Set 30hp: 111198003 | Heritage Parts Centre UK A bit pricy if you only need one paper gasket.
I still have part of my 30 bhp gasket set leftover, mostly the paper gaskets and a few rubber parts, (no flywheel gasket though), no good to me now so let me know if you want those bits, just cover the postage.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Thanks for the pictures, it is probably due to the difference in crank and flywheel size between 30 bhp and the later engines.
As I mentioned, I just got a full 30 bhp engine gasket set, so I never noticed there was a difference.
Engine Gasket Set 30hp: 111198003 | Heritage Parts Centre UK A bit pricy if you only need one paper gasket.
I still have part of my 30 bhp gasket set leftover, mostly the paper gaskets and a few rubber parts, (no flywheel gasket though), no good to me now so let me know if you want those bits, just cover the postage.
Thanks man appreciate that thought, I've found a guy on Facebook who did a few jobs to his 30hp and guessed he had a gasket change so asked if he had it spare in the kit so he's posting it out for me free of charge the legend 鉁 defintely measures smaller, one on photos is 55m, this one the guy sending on photo...
Font Material property Rectangle Natural material Circle

Premium Member
Good Find !
These are the 30 bhp engine gaskets I have leftover, including the cylinder base and head to barrel seals, if you need them, just let me know.
Brown Wood Font Jewellery Circle

21 - 36 of 36 Posts