For sale is my 1959 beetle.

I have owned the car since June 2020. At the time you of purchase, the car was pink, had big fibreglass arches, 4 stud wheels and was needing a lot of love and attention.

From the VW Heritage Certificate I obtained, it is a November 1959 built car (1960 model year) delivered to Ramsgate in December 1959. I have restored the car in a callook style, in its original Jade Green paintwork, with correct period items such as semaphores and snowflake rear lights. I have also upgraded the car to have greater reliability and safety. Summary of details below:

Body:
  • Original body
  • Used doors, bought and shipped from the US from rust free states
  • New non genuine wings
  • New non genuine bootlid and bonnet
  • Previous repairs have been done to the inner arches
  • Repairs done on the window edges on front and rear screens with new metal shaped and welded in.
  • Removable rear section to aid large engine removal (bolt in)
  • Painted in original Jade Green
  • New stainless steel side trims
  • Empi stainless steel running boards
  • Original glass (what looks to be anyway)
  • New single piece window seals
  • New door seals
  • T bars currently fitted
  • Also have a set of new blade bumpers
  • Genuine Talbot Berlin Mirror

Chassis
  • original chassis
  • Looks like the heater channels have been replaced previously
  • Floor is solid and rust free - I imagine this has also been replaced previously
  • 4” narrowed ball joint beam
  • Disc brake conversion
  • New 5x130 discs
  • New 5x130 drum
  • New bearings front and rear
  • New drum brake internals
  • Spax adjustable shocks on the front
  • Full chassis and inner arches covered in Upol Raptor
  • 4.5/5.5 x 15 SSP Fuch - centres sprayed in satin black
  • 175/60/15 and 205/40/15 Kumho tyres - 200 miles use.

Engine
  • Non original later 1200 twin port engine
  • Electronic fuel pump with kill switch
  • Alternator conversion
  • Engine runs well but is quite slow
  • I do have a 1641 in parts that can go with the car for the full asking price

Electrics
  • rand new wiring loom from Vw looms
  • 12v upgrade
  • New battery
  • New semaphores (12v)
  • New Bosch indicator switch
  • New ignition switch
  • New light switch
  • New dipped light switch
  • 1967 wiper motor
  • Rebuilt 1967 Speedo
  • New headlights (high quality us style items)
  • Bosswerkes LED rear lights (within the standard snow flake rear lights).

Interior
  • Cobra bucket seats retrimmed in ‘fat biscuit’ style vinyl
  • New door cards
  • Empi headlining
  • Newton commercial carpets
  • Empi seat bases
  • Wooden steering wheel
  • Lap belts for the front seats

As you can tell, a lot of work has gone into the car. The car has been on the road since August 2021, however I have only driven it around 200 miles since completion.

The car isn’t to concourse standards, but has been completed to be a useable classic car, with great chassis protection from the upol raptor and reliability from the electronic fuel pump and alternator. The car starts first time every time and enjoyed a nice steady 80 mile trip this weekend.

The car comes with a very large box of spares. There is also the 1641 engine in bits requiring rebuild if the full asking price is given as well as the new front and rear blade bumpers.

On top of the heritage certificate, I have been able to source a genuine 1959 brochure, manual and service book for the car, which looks great on display. I have almost all the receipts for the items I have purchased for the car, and also have multiple previous owners receipts going back to the mid-1980s.

2 small points to note - the wipers are slow to function and there is a scuff on the top of the bootlid from a failed hinge support causing misalignment. I am happy to organise the repainting of the bootlid and will look into the wiper motor action prior to sale.

I will be sad to see the car go, however house moves, weddings and other car projects forces sale.

The car is based in Aberdeen, in the North East of Scotland. I am happy to meet you at Aberdeen airport, bus or train station for a viewing. I also can suggest a car courier who I have used on multiple occasions - probably the safest way of transferring a 63 year old car across the country to you.

Please note that I have over 250 photos that I can send over to you also.