Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shamefully admit that my '66 1300 has been seriously neglected over the past year. The MoT is due in 3 weeks, and on checking the certificate, I have only travelled 40 miles since the last test...

The main reason for this is that the car is at my Mother's house in Poole, and I live in London. I always drive the Beetle when I am visiting, but the last year something always goes wrong with it.

There is no way this car is coming to London, as apart from new paint 10 years ago she is 95% original. Only the two font wings have been replaced (one in 1972, one in 2005). Even the bumpers are the original Wolfsburg chrome!

So, armed with a brand new 6-Volt Type 404 battery, a pair of new axle gaiters, new sparkplugs, points and and oil change kit, I set to work on GLJ:

One of the main reasons I have been so lazy in getting it running again is due the price of 6-Volt batteries. They are now touching £100. Yes, the GSF ones are cheaper, but they're not type 404's, so the original battery lid doesn't fit. And I'm fussy about that sort of thing.. I remember the first battery I bought for GLJ back in 1998 was £25 :lol:

After a bit of cranking to get the fuel through, she fired right up!

Finally meets my "new" car, 1980 Dolomite 1500HL (up for sale soon as I'm getting my Sprint back :))

After the servicing, GLJ drives like a dream. Floats over bumps, the revvy but oh-so-smooth SP 1300 engine is a delight, and reminds me why Beetles are such great cars in stock form :incheek:

I've had GLJ for 11 years now, and to be honest, if I had sell all my cars and only keep one... it would be this one.

Next time I'm back in Poole it's getting all polished up as it's being used as the second car in my Sister's wedding :D

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
Yes Howard, they always drive nicest in stock form, my '67 1500 is in similar fettle to yours... absolutely lovely :)

·
Registered
10,096 Posts
Very nice :D

I'm taking my '66 1300 to stock height to experience this so called 'ride quality'... I've never experienced such a thing :p

·
Premium Member
7,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm taking my '66 1300 to stock height to experience this so called 'ride quality'... I've never experienced such a thing :p
Prepare to be amazed! :D

·
Premium Member
7,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just for amusement, here are a couple of photos from when I first purchased the car in June 1998. One owner, 36,000 genuine miles with 4 ring-binders of history and paperwork :D

The original owner purchased the car aged 56 and drove it until he died. The logbook states "Harold V. W. Richards" :lol:

Sadly, large chunks of the car had been "touched up" with household emulsion and as the original paint was getting rather thin from over-polishing I had it resprayed. The paint on the dash and inside the bonnet and boot was kept original. Although aged it still looks fantastic today - especially considering the car spent almost 9 years outside on the driveway. I just made sure to thoroughly wash it every fortnight.

Future plans including blasting and painting the wheels, and maybe getting the doors re-done. They are starting to show their age a bit (had new door bottoms in 1998).

·
Premium Member
7,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought it from a local auction, not really knowing anything about Beetles. I was gutted to find it totally riddled with rust. I mean look at that rusty heater channel, it's totally gone. What a rust bucket.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
I have been itching to see some photos of this for a long time!

If it was slammed n' narrowed I would have had a glance maybe but your car is so untouched and beautiful! I am a "stock" man and although I will occasionally get tempted by some very nice resto cals, cars like yours make me snap out of those dirty thought very fast! :D

You should bring it it to Peppercorn this weekend, it would go down a storm and it would be a nice little run for it as they dont like being sat for to long, they like being driven.....

.....just no in the wet! ;)

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Love this car - you've even got the bumper irons the right colour (one for analheads) :)

Stockers are the best IMO :D

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Ah one of my favourites this one, been a fan for years (even before the Total VW feature!). Looking good as always Howard, and yes the 1300sp is a great engine :)

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
What colour is it?.....very similar to mine ....except mine seems a bit more blue .....

and mine is called howard ....as his reg is how ***d .....not on the rd tho' currently being resto'd .....

any more pics of yours for insperation?

·
Premium Member
7,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If it was slammed n' narrowed I would have had a glance maybe but your car is so untouched and beautiful! I am a "stock" man and although I will occasionally get tempted by some very nice resto cals, cars like yours make me snap out of those dirty thought very fast! :D
You know, I can't even modify it myself. The most I've done was to add the Blaupunkt Frankfurt radio, and even that took me a year of courage to build up to do! Even managed to locate an original VW-logo speaker for it that was out of a scrap '66 :)

I also bought a lovely original external sunvisor to put on it, but it's been in my loft for the last 5 years... I just can't bear to change the "look" of the car after 40 years :lol:

Edit: I just remembered that it had a (rather manky) red leather steering wheel cover on it when I bought it. I've had a replacement one of those in my box of bits for the last 7 years. Should I fit it?

You should bring it it to Peppercorn this weekend, it would go down a storm and it would be a nice little run for it as they dont like being sat for to long, they like being driven..... just no in the wet! ;)
Doh, should have thought about that! Could have left the Dolly 1500 in Poole and brought the Beetle up to London! Nevermind. One of these years though :)

The mileage has just passed 57,000 - that's 20,000 miles in my ownership :D

·
Premium Member
7,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ah one of my favourites this one, been a fan for years (even before the Total VW feature!). Looking good as always Howard, and yes the 1300sp is a great engine :)
Ross, you are the original "GLJ fan club" member :D

Whatever happened to that black '66 you kept mentioning to me was unused in a local garage several years ago?

·
Premium Member
7,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What colour is it?.....very similar to mine ....except mine seems a bit more blue .....

and mine is called howard ....as his reg is how ***d .....not on the rd tho' currently being resto'd .....

any more pics of yours for insperation?
It's L87 Pearl White. If you have a light blue car, it could be L519 Bahama Blue.

More pics eh? Let me go search my PC :)

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Ross, you are the original "GLJ fan club" member :D

Whatever happened to that black '66 you kept mentioning to me was unused in a local garage several years ago?
Ha ha! I guess thats true!
I'm pretty sure its still there, I put a friend on to it five years ago and he reported that while having a lovely original patina, it featured a fair amount of suspicious grey sealant here there that probably hid rust, and for the money the guy wanted for it he walked away.:(

·
Premium Member
7,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Some rather sad photos from March 2005. I found out that a hayfever + diesel covered roundabout = sideways Beetle :(

I nearly fell in a storm drain, so was pretty lucky! Instead I had the pleasure of disturbing the councils Heather arrangement and hitting the barrier in the middle of the road (paint scratch is still on it as I passed it a week ago :D)

Expert panel beater fixed the front quarter and the bonnet perfectly. Even the inside is still original paint, and you can hardly tell it was ever damaged :)

Headlight was replaced with a NOS one, but the Wipac spotlight took me 3 years to find an identical replacement, but I was lucky enough to eventually find a NOS one in the box. It had an amber one for a bit. 6V halogen lamps = utterly useless, but cool, even though new bulbs are 12 quid each :eek:

·
Premium Member
7,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
These photos were taken last Summer:

Some guy with a beard came up to me at BVF 2002 and told me my tinware was the wrong shade of black. It's not, as the paint on this was applied by Volkswagen in April 1966! The distributor has been replaced as I can't find parts for the original one. VW apparently made their own distributors for a couple of months in 1966 and I've never been able to find points, rotor arms or condensors for them. The rotor arm fell apart, hence the swap. The inlet manifold was a new one from VW Heritage, fitted when the engine was rebuilt in 2002. It's crap! If you look, the carb leans to the right. I have an original one to go on, but it's not worth the hassle unless the engine has to come out for something else. I did buy a super-expensive rebuild kit for the original fuel pump, but it broke again after a week.

Ever wondered how a 1966 1300 interior should look? The only non-original part is the central air vent - it was replaced as the original had crumbled. I replaced the interior light with a NOS one (complete with the original 1967 receipt!)

Also the original tool-roll, although the reversible-blade screwdriver has somehow escaped this photo.

VW Logo keys (I have both)

Ever wondered where your car was bought from? I have a copy of the advert from the local paper - Modern Light Cars Ltd, of Bournemouth.

I wouldn't mind that high-mileage '64 Ghia for £750 :D

·
Premium Member
7,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Another useless fact. In 1972, Mr Richards (the original owner), nearly part-exchanged the car for a brand new 1302S! :eek: As GLJ had only covered 8,500 miles, he decided against it.

Likewise in 1974, it was nearly chopped in for a purple Ford Cortina 2000E, registration YJH 406M . Luckily he decided to keep his Beetle!

I have all the literature, sales brochures and notes on these :lol:

1 - 20 of 76 Posts