Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably seems a daft question, but the drivers side window handle rotates anti clockwise to open the window. The passenger side handle rotates clockwise to open the window. Is this correct? I never really thought about it before but today the drivers side got stuck and I had to think about which way to turn the handle. Anyway should both handles turn the same way to open/close the windows?

Thank you

·
Premium Member
9,373 Posts
Unless a previous owner has installed different window winder mechanisms,
Left side regulator, turn the handle anti-clockwise to raise the glass:
Street light Bicycle accessory Rectangle Bicycle part Line

Right side regulator, turn the handle clockwise to raise the glass.
Line Rectangle Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Font

·
Registered
197 Posts
Probably seems a daft question, but the drivers side window handle rotates anti clockwise to open the window. The passenger side handle rotates clockwise to open the window. Is this correct? I never really thought about it before but today the drivers side got stuck and I had to think about which way to turn the handle. Anyway should both handles turn the same way to open/close the windows?

Thank you
A 66 bug I had 20 years ago also did this. Weird.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
I had to read this a few times to check... I think of it as the the way you move the winder when it is pointing forwards tells you which way the glass will go. Surely it would be weird if they didn't turn the same way on each side? (e.g. rolling forwards is down, rolling back is up)

I've never been in a car where they work any other way. 🤷‍♂️

·
Premium Member
9,373 Posts
I had to read this a few times to check... I think of it as the the way you move the winder when it is pointing forwards tells you which way the glass will go. Surely it would be weird if they didn't turn the same way on each side? (e.g. rolling forwards is down, rolling back is up)

Its not like rowing a boat, look at the mechanisms, the drive cog is on the top of the spiral cable, so the handles have to turn the opposite way for each side.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Its not like rowing a boat, look at the mechanisms, the drive cog is on the top of the spiral cable, so the handles have to turn the opposite way for each side.
That's not what the pics or your description says. Winding both windows up is exactly like rowing. Right side clockwise, left side anticlockwise - both are rotating 'backwards' in relation to the car.

I really am struggling to work out if I'm being really thick, or if me and every car designer ever are wrong in thinking that the way window handles work is really obvious. 🤯

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Hi

From previous replies I now understand that what I have is correct. However your explanation makes perfect sense to me and is a good way of remembering how the function works, roll forward to lower and roll back to raise. Thaks

·
Premium Member
9,373 Posts
That's not what the pics or your description says. Winding both windows up is exactly like rowing. Right side clockwise, left side anticlockwise - both are rotating 'backwards' in relation to the car.

I really am struggling to work out if I'm being really thick, or if me and every car designer ever are wrong in thinking that the way window handles work is really obvious. 🤯
Sorry, you are right, if you could reach both handles at the same time, it would indeed be like rowing a boat.
The fact that one side needs the handle to turn clockwise and the other anti-clockwise for the same motion of the glass (up or down), is purely because the handles face each other.
Do you think car designers did this deliberately ? or is it the inevitable result of making the winder mechanisms 'mirror images of each other ?
It certainly messes with my head, (and yours too it seems) :)

Reactions: gojira

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Do you think car designers did this deliberately ? or is it the inevitable result of making the winder mechanisms 'mirror images of each other ?
A bit of both probably. Everything else is symmetrical - you don't get suicide doors on the left side of the car just to make them all hinge on the right.

It depends on your point of view - I find looking at the winders and thinking of clockwise and anticlockwise is really counterintuitive. In those terms you could claim that 2 of the wheels on your car rotate in the opposite direction to the others when you drive forwards. :D

To be fair thinking about rotating objects in 3d spaces can be confusing. More than once I've had to have new tyres refitted because they've been put on backwards.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts