Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Ive always loved cars, and been into VW's for the last few years. After being given a Camper hire holiday trip from my girlfriend for christmas in 2004 I had to own a Bay. After awhile searching i bought this

had loads of fun in it learnt an awful lot and it ended up looking like this.

now few years later, lower, stronger better brakes etc etc.
since the day I bought it i had always intende to make it a really good looking straight Bay but I always enjoyed driving it so much that I couldnt take it off the road for the new doors and all the welding.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I soon started seeing rust appearing all along the gutters, A pillars etc, and before long found it was nowhere near as good as I had first thought, I had been sourcing replacement panels and decided that I really liked the look of the early lowlight bay, so I was going to replace the rusty bodged panels with early straight ones. The list was getting longer and longer and even included a complete roof with most of the pillars. I like to weld but was scared with the prospect off chopping off the whole roof and replacing it with my rust free one. I now had a dilema as I had a bay that was mechanically great with a rotton body, so I looked around for somewhere to do the work profesionally. I took it to all sorts of places in the south including 'Beetleworks' , kombi Klassics etc then one day I was in Selsey and got a flyer put on my windscreen from a company called Vdubcampers in chichester. They hired out campers but were also doing resto work. looked up their website and saw they were also agent for kieft en klok, in the for sale section was this :

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Rust free solid never been welded. No engine, gearbox or interior perfect I thought its just what I needed and the cost was less that the roof transplant alone.

bit battered and tatty but already had all the features I loved about bays.

only problem for me was it was left hand drive, Ive driven a few LHD and really dont like em.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Spoke to Andy at Vdubcampers and a deal was done, the camper was going to come over and they would be doing the resto.
I was looking forward to seeing it in the metal and was getting ready for VW action, which I though would probably be the last show in ODD
All packed and ready I left early friday morning, driving happily along the M25 on my way to the pod when this happened

lost power and had oil everywhere !
managed to come off at next junction and got towed back to Vdubcampers in Chichester. Took all my weekend gear out and got a lift back home.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
threw all my stuff in the company car and headed back to santa pod, arrived about 9pm. That was me in the black Vectra in club camping.
spent the weekend trying to cheer myself up and realised it would be ages until I drove a camper again. Got some really good ideas at action and when I got back planned exactly what I wanted.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Checked all the chassis numbers and m-codes and it was indeed a 1969 original Westfalia. I was very pleased, I worked out my budget and Andy was going to convert to RHD for me as well. I decided I didn't want a restoration back to factory spec but to look how I would like, to include things like modern headlights leather seats etc.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Ive always loved cars, and been into VW's for the last few years. After being given a Camper hire holiday trip from my girlfriend for christmas in 2004 I had to own a Bay. After awhile searching i bought this

I nearly bought that in 1996,it was owned by a guy I worked with called Terry,he lived up by the Foredown Tower in Portslade.He wanted £1000 for it.Needed quite a few panels replacing them,but,the interior was nice and original.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know the purists won't like it but Im going right hand drive. This isnt going to be a restoration, but a remanufacture to how I would have it, Early styling, disk brakes, Westy roof. Single colour and RHD. the sliding door dosn't bother me being on the offside because it will be easier to load/open when its on my drive and in my garage. although It does mean a new interior now !

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
this is about the worst of the floor area

Im thinking about how long it took me to make, cut and weld the repair panels in the old ODD. I really wanted this to be as straight and good as possible so I wanted it done professionally. I wouldnt be happy if the panels were rippled when its painted.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Bloody ell dude that's rock solid and super straight :eek:

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
:eek:

why can't mine be that solid :lol:

sounds like its going to be a minter :cool:

what exactly are you planning for the headlights?

1 - 20 of 241 Posts