Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 454 Posts

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd create another thread on here following on from my rebuild thread back in 2005 as things have changed quite a bit since then.
Here's the old thread to see some of the work that went into the car http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=201147

Currently I'm giving the car a bit of a freshen up before the start of the season and get a few extra tweeks done to get the best out of the car when racing.

Heres a pic of my baby:

Basically its a 1970 1500 Beetle running a 2.5litre turbo charged type 4, 911 gearbox, IRS, discs all round and of course road legal.

Best time so far 12.52 @ 104 mph.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Firstly ordered the new tyres so i can get a matching set of rims on and also replace the rears as they are near the legal limit- dont know how the hell that happened- they've only done a few hundred miles!! :lol:

Sorted the front gear box mount- much heavier duty and a better design should stop it twisting and flexing up and down.- Just got to decide if i am to swap the standard beetle mounts with some poly ones. Heres a pic of the mount

Still measuring/deciding how to strengthen the frame horns- want to get this right first time!

Dropped the engine and box to start sorting the leaks- god damn i hate oil leaks :mad: I sealed it before the last race meet did that ok got home and left it- its now drooled oil all over the exhaust etc- its like the old Blackbird plane that leaks if its left standing! (which it was as fast ha ha!)
It does mean i can check the head stud torques and I have cleaned it all thorougly.
I shall redo the paint on the fan shoud and give what ever needs it a freshen up.

Need to get/fabricate a new breather box too as the old one doesn't have the correct capacity- only thing is all the ones i have seen for sale have too small a bore intake- i'm using 3/4" x 4 breathers!

How the car looks at the moment!!!!!!! :eek:

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well doesn't feel like i've achieved much this week/end. Partly due to coming down with a bug (no pun intended) which has really hindered work this weekend :(

Dropped my new wheels off at a mates for him to fit the new tyres on so the fronts are ready to roll- picked up my new rear gearbox mounts (ordered 4.30 Fri delivered Sat morning- thanks Machine7!!) and started redoing the adapters from the Beetle to Porsche. Prepped & primed the fanshoud and fan. Oh fitted the new oil seals to the box and remounted in the car.

Got a few ideas for the bracing bar- just need to crack on and do it!

Hope fully oil leaks and painting this week so I can start reassembly of the engine and put it back in.

Oh and ordered a nice new crash helmet to meet this new regs, just hope it gets here in time as its coming from the states!

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
saw this at the Ditch Dubber's cruise last year, and wondered what you had under the decklid. nice ride dude. :)

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
How the car looks at the moment!!!!!!! :eek:
[/QUOTE]

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

How the hell do you know what is what! :lol: All I see is bright pretty colours! :D

Rich, are you in a rush for the breather box? Im currently doing a welding course and they encourage us to bring our 'projects' in to work on. If you had the peices cut in Ali I could have a go at tigging them up for you....? Dont know if that helps? Im sure you have people up your way that can do that for you in exchange for some badgers ears. But just a thought....

Glad your doin a thread dude! Is a nice way to stay in touch! ;)

Love the way you say you didnt get much done at the weekend, then real off about 10 things you did! Hehehe I think that good progress! I seem to only manage about 1 hour before I hit another problem which means I cant move forward!

I wondering if I should drop the gearbox and engine, for a clean up and re-install, or leave it as is so I dont miss the main bulk of the season (incase it drags on and on).

Loving the gearbox mount! HAHAHAHA!! That should stand a bomb blast! Talking of which, whats that in the back ground! Are you allowed near that much petrol and gas Rich? Hahaha! BOOM! :incheek:

J

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
turbo rich what is the name of the orange as im looking for an orange for my buy at the moment it's monster orange same as simonlondons cup car :D

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
nice looking bug.

you havin burners up front or fuch at back?

seen it in the pits last year, my mate was oppisite. very nice :D

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
looking good rich, guessing u may not be finished by sunday then?

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
GAAAAAAA whys everything taking so long- damn work in the way!
Tacked the new rear gearbox adapters up- just need finishing off now.
Been prepping and painting the fan shroud and fan but its got a few low spots which stick out- not quite sure how to sort these- typically they show up more on the black paint :(

JSL- thanks for the offer I'm hoping to have it all done for the Volksworld show!!:eek: Yeah Claires mum thought the gearbox mount was actually part of a towbar!!!!

72Bugs- Its a Lamborghini Diablo Orange only brighter!

Mabbo- Got a set of burners for the front until I get the arch clearance sorted on the back for the Fuchs

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's been a quiet week at work- 2 days at home! Anyway been making the most of it. Got the rear gearbox mounts finished off- so the box fits level and they are a bit lighter than the originals.

Mounted the front gearbox mount and also the new gearshift rod cover- made in ally and looks much better than the old one.
Front gearbox mount:

Finally got the rear Kafer brace/truss bar made up. Thanks to Wayne Allman we turned the threaded inserts down so they were an interferance fit in the tubes. I heated the ends on the hob the pressed the inserts in (managed to bash a hole in paving slab in the process :rolleyes: ) may have them tigged in but I don't think they are going anywhere! Its amazing even tightening by hand home much flex there is in the shock towers. I did have to chop a bit of the body work away for it to fit too. I should be worried that I wasn't worried about just hacking the car with a grinder!

Finally almost finished the painting of the fan shroud only for a gust of wind to through it on the floor and scare the resident toad! Its cracked slighty but it doesn't look too bad!

Checked one head for torque and a few of the studs needed retorquing quite a bit- I hate doing that- always feels like the studs gonna pull- GULP! Also been working on the pushrod tube oil leaks one side done- just the other to do then i can start putting it all back together. Need to find my intake gaskets I fancy trying them out again to see if we can stop the heat transfer from the heads to the intake manifolds- thats if they turn up grrrr!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Awesome stuff Rich!!

Cant believe your fan shroud got blown off! Somethings are done to 'test' us!! Think I would have been leaping around screaming "Why? why? WHY!!!??" :S

Like the Kafer style brace! ;) NICE!!

J

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah I couldn't believe it either- I spent ages painting,flatting,painting etc. Most of it will be covered by the intake pipes so I can live with it.
Had another quiet day today:confused:, so finished the pushrod tubes and checking the head torques and making the bottom end sealed again. Putting all the finishing touches to the engine to smarten it up again ie- distributer block off, relocate crank pick up sensor, block up some bolt holes and redid the crank tooth wheel mounting as it was working loose.

Just need to find these intake gaskets then the engine can go back in. If not it will go back in tomorrow hopefully :D

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Had a reasonable time on the car thanks to work being quiet and the weather being helpful. Gearbox is now all fully mounted with all ancilleries connected up. Engine is all back together and mounted back in the car, started putting the fuel rails back on the car and noticed a small problem. They hit the body work due the gearbox mounts dropping the engine down by about 2cm so I have had to cut more out of the side of the car- the easiest way was to drop the wings off and attack it with a hammer/airswaw and grinder- reweld it and then put back together. It now has a bit more clearance and should be fine if there is any engine wobble- the last thing i want is for it to dislodge and injector!

I've cleaned up the wings too since there was a ton of rubber stuck under there- not sure how that happened!

Wrapped the top the exhaust in heat wrap to try and stop some heat coming up into the car- may try and make a heatsheild for the turbo if there is time. The exhaust will go back on today.
My new breather tank has arrived but needs modding for the 4 x 3/4" breathers and that can be mounted- hopefully not too long and i can fire back up :D

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Top work Sir!!

Coming together nicely! ;)

You think your gonna be ready for the weekend?

More pics Rich!!! More pics!! ;)

J

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I swear your the only one viewing this thread ;) although 666 views could mean the devil is watching!!

Yeah it'll be ready no problem :lol::eek::bandit::eek:;)

Problem is I keep having to evict toads from the garage before starting work and its holding me up :lol:

Managed to clearance and reweld the bodywork on the NS so the fuel rail can now be bolted up- need to fit the exhaust/turbo/ oil line and fan and see if it runs! Fingers crossed

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
not the only one viewing now!!!
your doing a great job.

i love the way everyone takes a bug and makes it there own.

keep up the good work

rich

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cheers Rich- love the buggy- remember that drag racing in the 90's kits and specials I believe.

Had yet another quiet day with work (eek!) still been making the most of it. All the engine is back together, fuel rails, oil lines, fan, electrics, turbo etc. Managed to crank it over but not getting any RPM readings and would not start- it may be the old gremlin come back to haunt me. I've bunged the battery on charge for tonight and will have another look tomorrow. I also have to change the ECU setting to represent the new crank sensor position. Once (if!) it fires and I'm happy its leak free it will be time to mount the new oil breather tank and mod it for the bigger breathers.

1 - 20 of 454 Posts