Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's time for my new project thread - but its not a VW! :eek:

I need to start with a bit of background... Almost exactly 1 year ago I fancied something different, so sold my 1975 1303 and bought a rather neglected but excellent Dolly Sprint. After a few months of teething problems finally had it in tip-top shape.

The car them became my daily driver around London and regular trips to visit family in Poole (120 miles each way), which it did without fail! Then, in in early October 2008, as I was stationary in traffic on the M4, I was rear ended by a Golf driver who forgot to stop... Luckily I had my foot and hand brakes on so wasn't pushed into the car in front :( The driver was young, very apologetic and admitted responsibility on the spot.

A couple of weeks later, KSF was attacked again, this time by a German rental van driver who decided to U-turn into me! Probably confused by the different direction of traffic flowing - an easy mistake, but annoying for me! Again, he was very apologetic and admitted fault on the spot. Luckily, the only injury was a bruise on my arm that bore the exact same profile as the wooden door capping... :shock:

To cut a 3-month-long story short, both insurance companies initially wanted to write the car off, but after nearly a million letters and phone calls have now agreed to repair. The side damage is being paid for by the insurance company, the rear damage I have received a 'cash in lieu' settlement.

So, my plans for the car now? It's being sent to a classic car restorer to have a total rebuild! The accident damage will be repaired, and the whole car repainted in Pageant Blue. I'm going to do most of the strip down and reassembly of the 'cosmetic' parts myself. I also plan to get the wheels refurbished and fitted with new tyres. As I've been unable to source a decent tan interior I'm going to fit a black one (much more practical as I use the car a lot). Apart from that it's staying pretty much as-is :)

There are only around 150 Sprints left and even fewer of them are thought to be genuine and original cars. So it's certainly worth saving ;)

It's booked in to the body shop in a couple of weeks... watch this space! :D

·
Premium Member
7,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ouch :(

Looking forward to seeing this one repaired
Me too :D Although I've done around 1,500 miles in it since the accident, it'll be great to have it back in excellent condition again :D

One thing with Dolomites though, you order new parts from the suppliers and they are all NOS! I ordered a ton of new parts recently, and they all turned up in Austin Rover / British Leyland boxes :D Body panels are pretty much non-existent though :(

So far I have the following:

1x NOS N/S/F door skin
2x NOS N/S door handles (in the blue Leyland boxes)
1x NOS N/S quarterlight
1x NOS O/S black wing mirror
2x NOS lower suspension arms (in Austin-Rover boxes)
1x NOS late Sprint Badge
1x Repro Sprint engine bay sticker set
2x NOS Airbox pipes

Two secondhand doors from a '76 Dolly:

NOS sill (rare!) and excellent repro inner panel

More to come :D

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
There are only around 150 Sprints left, and even fewer of them are thought to be genuine and original cars. So it's certainly worth saving ;)
Really? OMG! You just don't notice that car vanish...:(
Mind you, I bet you theres a lot let Beetles still about than I might like to think.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Look forward to this one. My big brother had a Dolly Sprint in the early eighties but it turned out to be made of chicken wire and filler :lol:

It was a great, fun little car though!

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
My Grandad bought one brand new when I was little. His was a red one though.

A proper trip down memory lane this is. Keep up the good work.

·
Premium Member
7,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Really? OMG! You just don't notice that car vanish...:(
Mind you, I bet you theres a lot let Beetles still about than I might like to think.
Sad thing is, Sprints are by far the most common of the surviving models! For the lesser models the numbers are shocking: 35 1300TC FWD, 152 1500, 9 1500 Auto, 248 1850, 40 1500SE, 220 Toldeo, 139 2-door Toledo...

The figures are from 2004 :(

Therefore I suggest you buy one before they've all gone :D

It would be interesting to know the survival rate of Beetles though!

·
Registered
8,999 Posts
I take it the insurance companies paid out the Howard???

Will be keepin a close eye on this thread!! :D

·
Premium Member
7,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I take it the insurance companies paid out the Howard???

Will be keepin a close eye on this thread!! :D
Only just! I threatened them with you and they changed their mind :D

The side damage is being fixed under the insurance company (who settled pretty easily) whereas the rear damage I got cash in Lieu after a LOT of arguing.

I would therefore recommend people not to use an insurance company that shares their name with a large land mammal .co.uk ;)

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Wow i LOVE your car mate!

Would have been such a shame to scrap such a rare and beautiful classic :)

I'll be following this thread :)

·
Registered
13,142 Posts
:cool:
Need lots of pics with this one.
Always wanted a dolly. Nearly got an 1850hl as my first car (same £ insurance for an 18yr old as a bug but the head had warped).
Want to get myself a 1850 or a sprint in white one day.
MickB's neighbour has an absolutely mint one freshly done. He might be able to point you in the direction of some bits.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
ah the dolly, i had 2 SE versions (one was my first car that i had on the road) and a yellow sprint. love em!!

Nearly makes me consider dragging my Spitfire out of it semi collapsed lean to its been in for the last year or so.....

·
Registered
672 Posts
Sad thing is, Sprints are by far the most common of the surviving models! For the lesser models the numbers are shocking: 35 1300TC FWD, 152 1500, 9 1500 Auto, 248 1850, 40 1500SE, 220 Toldeo, 139 2-door Toledo...

The figures are from 2004 :(

Therefore I suggest you buy one before they've all gone :D

It would be interesting to know the survival rate of Beetles though!
so how many 1300 dolomites are there left?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts