Year:1985
Make:Volkswagen
Model:Beetle
Mileage:64000 M
Transmission:Manual
Engine:1200
Trim:N/A
For Sale - 1985 Vw Beetle 1200cc - Limited Edition ‘Sunny Bug’ Project Car (Reg: C221 GSJ)

Showing circa 64k miles

Matching numbers

RHD conversion

Hpi clear

Vw book pack, old MOTs. receipts & history

Rear seat belts

Adjustable front suspension

One key operates doors & ignition

The Good

Available for sale is ‘Sunny’, my project bug; a limited edition Sunny Bug which is a Mexican built Beetle produced for the mainland European market (and 1 of only 1500 produced). This is a fairly straight, honest and original car. The floors, A-posts, main heater channels, under rear seat areas and rear quarters are excellent, as are the gutters which (despite early stages of bubbling in a few places) are in good order. The doors are excellent too with no sign of rot or droop with a great factory fit. This can be seen in the alignment of the chrome trim and original factory-applied striping in the pictures.

On the inside, the limited edition (very) yellow seating and interior are also in a decent condition for the year but the front door cards have been removed as they were badly damaged. The carpets aren’t perfect but again, are quite presentable. Whilst in my ownership (3 years) I’ve had a good look over the car and can see no signs of previous metal repair however, it does now need a tickle with the welder which leads us neatly on to…..

The Not So Good

At some stage poor Sunny has had a bump on the nose which has left her a bit crispy at the front. As a result there are a few ripples & holes around this area; front bumper mounts, wheel well and inner wings which could be patched up but I personally would suggest a new front clip. I have a spare wheel well bottom panel which I’ll include with the sale to assist with this repair because, ya know…..I’m a nice guy.

As mentioned earlier; the floors look good and in the main, so do the heater channels but (as you can see from the pics); the running board mounting panels do need attention. There are also a few minor holes to the inner wings but the main advantage with this bug is that it’s not yet been bodged or ‘got at’ so any repairs should be more straight forward. Other than that it’s all standard stuff that needs attention and It goes without saying that it’d be prudent to also go through the brakes & fuel lines before taking Sunny back onto Her Majesty’s highways.

Engine & ‘box

The engine is the original, reliable (matching numbers) 1200cc unit which runs well (video available). It starts first time from the key but I’ve recently refitted the engine to aid with transportation (and to prove that it runs) but It could do with coming back out and going through properly. That said, I’ve recently added a new fuel pump, some spark plugs and other standard service items and the engine itself seems healthy enough. The car also selects all forward and reverse gears and will drive. I would however suggest a low loader with a winch when arranging to get Sunny home. I know somebody locally who can assist with this if you’d like me to arrange it.

Summary

Basically a good car, Sunny was molly coddled until the last owner fitted a 1641cc engine in around 2015 which sadly overheated that very same day! A lack of funds meant that the car then sat outside until I purchased her in around 2019. Seeing Sunny’s potential I had grand plans for this car but life has gotten in the way and I got no further than giving Sunny a good clean, hoover and polish before starting to dismantle. Since then I have loosely reassembled everything (mainly to aid with transportation for potential buyers) but it will need to be gone through properly by the new owner. It’s also worth noting that this car will be MOT & Tax exempt in a couple of years.

These special editions (along with the Samtrote, Winter Bug and finally the Jubilee) were a 'last hoorah' for Europe long after the U.K. said farewell to the humble bug and as such are quite rare beasts. Also, being a late, late Beetle she features such fripperies as a heated rear window, electric window washers and velour upholstery (be still my beating heart) and if you're keen to know more about this model you can take a gander at more information here:

1984 Sunny Bug

I’ve given a detailed description but all opinions given are that of a long standing aircooled enthusiast and not as a mechanic so are just offered as a guide. As such, viewing is recommended so that you can satisfy yourself that the car meets your requirements. I’ll even make you a coffee whilst you do so. Despite having good ‘bones’, this car is no show pony. It has dings, scuffs and scrapes; some through storage and some through use. Either way, it’s something to be aware of. I feel I’ve taken enough photos (almost 100 available in the Google Drive link below) which should give an accurate impression of this car’s condition and potential.

To sum up, this car can be patched up and returned to the road relatively easily over a few months of weekends OR will make a good basis for a full restoration project. Whichever route you choose, you can do a lot worse than this bug. It is head and shoulders above most projects currently available which are mostly a sea of bodged repairs; held together with just Waxoyl and hope. This car is located near Warrington in the North West and is close to the M6, M62 and M56 motorway network so is a breeze to reach from most places.

Picture Gallery Link:

Sunny The Mexibug - Google Drive

Volkszone Build Thread:

Sunny The Mexibug - Another Smull Budget Mexi Project

IMPORTANT NOTE: The rare Enkei 92 wheels (rare because these are 4 x 130 PCD beetle stud pattern!) featured on a couple of the photos are NOT included in the sale and are available by separate negotiation. (The car will come with a small amount of other spares though).

For all this Mexican Beetle loveliness I’m looking for offers in the region of £2495 o.n.o. and if you’re genuinely interested I’m happy to answer any questions that you may have.

Cheers,
Andy
:)