Volkszone Forum banner

201 - 220 of 270 Posts

·
Registered
12,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 ·
Found 185/80R14 EVENT ML698+ A/T tyres at just over the £200 mark for 4 delivered. Still will cost another £30 to get them fitted but it'll mean i can use the 2 rear tyres currently on the van as spares and get rid of the 1988 Michelin X thats currently in the clam shell under the front end.
Pretty decent tread pattern and good reviews for wet and dry grip too.

I'm quite tempted to fit a set of these universal electric window motors though at only £57 i don't expect them to be great quality.
New stock T3 electric regulators are £130+ each. :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
12,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #202 ·
Just bought a 5 speed box for the caravelle.
I might make the old box's bellhousing into an engine test stand as i have a few starters sitting around (i think they are breeding as i'm sure i didn't buy that many).

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
W=Quality dude, those tyres look great

·
Registered
313 Posts
I've had both the BMW and Beetle just about 14 years
Worst about that is that I've never driven the bug not a mile in all that time

·
Registered
12,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #207 ·
I've had both the BMW and Beetle just about 14 years
Worst about that is that I've never driven the bug not a mile in all that time
I drove my bug as my daily for the first 5 years of my ownership adding about 45k to the clock, but its only done 110 or something miles since its been back on the road. :(

I've been getting the parts together to uprate the headlight loom as the lights are pitiful.
The fusebox wiring is a shocker though and its so cold my soldering iron won't play ball. :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
12,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #208 ·
Managed to get most of my headlight loom made up.The 2 wires from the headlight/indicator lever to fusebox still need to be dug out of the loom so i can cut them and reattach to the two relays and the main power wire clipped to the chassis under the van where it heads to the battery. Too bloody cold to be lying under there today. :eek:

Decided i'm also gonna wire in the trailer telltail while i have the fusebox accessible.

·
Registered
313 Posts
It's funny you should mention headlamps,ive been fighting with poor headlamps on my bug in the last few days
Those little fuses don't seem to carry the current very well.
They work alright until the next time I try the lights 😒

·
Registered
12,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #212 ·
It's funny you should mention headlamps,ive been fighting with poor headlamps on my bug in the last few days
Those little fuses don't seem to carry the current very well.
They work alright until the next time I try the lights 😒
I uprated all the headlight wiring on my bug adding a couple of relays and a power cable straight from the battery. Mega bright now.

I just can't get the sony stereo to work when the Source button is pressed. You need to waggle the plug on the back before it lights up. Tried two different plugs and get the same result. :mad:

·
Registered
12,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #213 ·
I'm not Cumbrian though, i just live here. :lol:

I managed to get the headlight relays wired up this afternoon before the cold got to me, and while i was faffing about with the fusebox i decided to add the trailer tell tail lamp i've had for about 6 years. Theres already a 12mm hole above the handbrake lamp for it to go in.
According to the Bentley manual the blue/brown wire exits the fusebox at terminal 11 on plug A (though none are labelled/marked :rolleyes:) disappears inside the wrapping on the main loom and heads towards the dash. I can't find the other end though so might just end up chopping it somewhere near the steering column and running it to my lamp.

·
Registered
12,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #216 ·
Fingers crossed. I won't 100% know until its all back on the road unless i fully strip it down.
Gonna replace the input and output seals while its out plus the seals on the selector shaft as they always seem to leak.

Flywheel oil seal and spigot bearing for the crank plus the clutch throwout bearing are also gonna be replaced while the box is out and i'll check and adjust the crankshaft endfloat too.

·
Registered
12,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #217 ·
Box arrived. :)

Still faffing around with the wiring loom in the freezing cold. :(
Got some of the wires soldered but found a couple of burnt terminals in the fusebox plug so need to replace them as getting them out without damaging them seems impossible.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #218 ·
Some nice person on the old interwebs has numbered all the plug terminals on the CE1 fusebox.:)
Both the Bentley and Haynes manuals both omit those which makes it a wee bit more difficult to find where stuff goes.

Doesn't help VW have used say a black and white wire, a black and lilac wire, a black and grey wire and a black and violet wire in the same plug and they all look the same colour after 30 years. :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
12,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #219 ·
Can't believe its now 10 years ago that my old passat went to the scrappy.
I still regret selling it as it'd be an easy fix now but it was my daily at the time so i didn't have the time to do the work.
Just needed a replacement gearbox, a top end rebuild with new valve guide oil seals as it smoked like hell and a small repair to the rear corner of one door where it'd been opened against a high curb. :(

It was basically a golf GTi cloaked in a wardrobe carrying bodyshell. 112bhp PB code 8v gti engine, 16v brakes and gearbox and corrado dashboard.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Shame they've got very rare now! Can't keep them all though.

201 - 220 of 270 Posts