Volkszone Forum banner

221 - 240 of 270 Posts

·
Registered
12,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #222 ·
Managed to get all the wiring bits and bobs done and the dash back together.
Attempted to fit the rear camera to my dash cam and the cable is around 3.5M too short to reach from the rear numberplate to the dash. :rolleyes:
Looks like i can buy a 5m extension lead with the right 2.5mm jack at each end off ebay for under £3 though. :)

·
Registered
12,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #223 ·
Few bits and bobs arrived in the post including a trailer flasher relay and an extension lead with a 2.5mm jack at each end, so i installed the trailer tell tail and the reverse camera, and ran the cable all the way to the front of the van.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #227 ·
The nosecone on my original box only has a little white fuzz on the aluminium so i'll swap that one across.
Apparently it requires some precise measurement to shim the endfloat between first gear oiling face and the thrust bearing that's pressed into the actual nose cone. Yay. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
969 Posts
The nosecone on my original box only has a little white fuzz on the aluminium so i'll swap that one across.
Apparently it requires some precise measurement to shim the endfloat between first gear oiling face and the thrust bearing that's pressed into the actual nose cone. Yay. :rolleyes:
Gulp :rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #230 ·
Case around the output flanges has a fair amount of corrosion. Not sure whether to use the box. Apparently if its not leaking its OK but...

Attachments

·
Registered
12,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #231 ·
By comparison this is the box currently in my caravelle. Exxon Valdiz has nothing on this box. :lol:
Not corroded but not sure if i could swap the main casing (and nosecone) from this one onto the other box. I'm not sure if theres any internal damage to the case or if its just the gear casing part thats damaged.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #232 ·
Nosecone corroded holes looking from the inside. :eek:
The rest of the internals look OK. Teeth on the crown wheel are not pitted at all. The ones on my camper looked like someone had had a go with a chisel on them. :lol:

Attachments

·
Registered
13,131 Posts
Shame about the box. what are you thinking with it? I'd be tempted to put the replacement in but maybe keep yours as a spare or for a potential rebuild in the future

·
Registered
313 Posts
It seems to me that gearbox hasn't been on a vehicle for some time
I might be tempted to make the best out of both boxes

·
Registered
12,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #235 ·
Shame about the box. what are you thinking with it? I'd be tempted to put the replacement in but maybe keep yours as a spare or for a potential rebuild in the future
If the box will be OK with that amount of corrosion I'll just swap the nosecone off mine and run it. Old box will be kept as parts box.

It seems to me that gearbox hasn't been on a vehicle for some time
I might be tempted to make the best out of both boxes
Yeah, it's been sitting for a few years outside I think (or under the sea possibly).
Not sure how much damage my box has until I strip it bare as it's been banging out of 5th under load which apparently is a sign of the main bearing being loose in the case and pounding the crap out of it. 😞
The main housing looks 100x better on the one in the van but not sure if its possible to just use the gear carrier section off the replacement box on mine or if there's more damage further in. I've not dug very deep into a T3 box before apart from replacing bellhousings and input shafts for use on a diesel.

·
Registered
12,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #236 · (Edited)
Been trying to remove these two screws and failing miserably. :mad:
The philips head is fooked and as they're domed i can't get a good grip with mole grips. Tempted to weld a nut on each to get heat into it to break its grip and be able to use a socket on them.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #237 ·
I've still not managed to get the screws out. Haven't dug my welder out yet though as its been a bit too drizzly to play with it outside.

Found out that the big 17mm allen key i have to remove the drain plug is too long to fit between the plug and the exhaust with the box still installed in the van, so i'll either have to cut it down to fit or wait until the box is out before i drain it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #238 ·
Managed to get a little bit of time to myself this afternoon so cut down my 17mm allen key so it would bit between the drain plug and exhaust and drained the gearbox oil.

Drain plug fir tree. 😳
These were only the bits that stuck. There were loads of brass/copper and plastic bits that didn't.
Gearbox oil came out looking like mercury too.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #239 ·
Made a start removing bits ready for the gearbox removal. Shift linkage off, earth strap removed, water hoses removed from bracket on the top of the box and loosened off the nosecone mounting bolts. Managed to finally find my cv joint bolt remover too.:)

Attachments

221 - 240 of 270 Posts