Volkszone Forum banner

261 - 280 of 325 Posts

·
Registered
12,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #261 ·
You wouldn't think it'd be so hard to find a sheet of 3mm hardboard to make a sliding door panel out of but no-one seems to sell full sheets just 1/2 (610x1220m) sheets which are too small. Door panel is 790x1080mm.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Love the bread idea - very clever.
Gearbox is looking ace now.

·
Registered
12,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #263 ·
Oil should arrive on thursday or friday from the sound of it.
Figured its gonna be easier to fill it before fitting the thing as the main radiator pipes run right next to the filler plug. Clever bit of design from VW though the box was apparently 'filled for life'.

Might have to see if i can figure out a way to lift the box into place as its not stable on a trolley jack. I removed it by pulling it off the mounting studs, lowering it onto my chest then rolling out on the creaper trolley. Its gotta be 40 or 50 kg so not easy to just into place.

·
Registered
12,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #264 ·
Gearbox oil arrived today. (y)
5 speed box uses 4.5L from completely empty but just 3L on an oil change. No idea where the other 1.5L hides. :unsure:

Managed to get the box back into place where it belongs. Its a heavy old bugger with the oil in. Just the dozens of odd bits and bobs to reattach now.

Received a Mann w719/12 oil filter too so filled it with oil and screwed it on. I need to refit the pushrod tube undertin next and fill the engine with oil.

·
Registered
4,592 Posts
You wouldn't think it'd be so hard to find a sheet of 3mm hardboard to make a sliding door panel out of but no-one seems to sell full sheets just 1/2 (610x1220m) sheets which are too small. Door panel is 790x1080mm.
I think that might be because it's so flimsy. You'd struggle to move 1220*2440 without it ripping itself apart. 4mm plywood is what most people use for recreating factory van panelling I think. It's what I used on my t4

·
Registered
12,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #266 · (Edited)
I think that might be because it's so flimsy. You'd struggle to move 1220*2440 without it ripping itself apart. 4mm plywood is what most people use for recreating factory van panelling I think. It's what I used on my t4
That's make sence. Gonna have a look for some ply then.

Wire brushed and red oxide primed the backside of one of the wheels. Tyre is date marked from before 1990 so just a little bit past its best. Still loads of tread left though. :rolleyes:

Got the gearbox mounts torqued up, refitted the earth strap to the nosecone mount, fitted the starter and one of the top two engine to gearbox mounting bolts. I need to remove the top off the carb so i can get a spanner to the other nut but i couldn't find my 8mm socket. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #268 ·
Got the clutch slave cylinder bolted back in, starter installed and wired up and the engine filled with oil this afternoon.
Also bolted on the pushrod tube undertins and the shift linkage.

Found a couple of holes in the silencer that I need to weld up.

·
Registered
12,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #269 ·
Gave the rear part of the main chassis rails a wire brushing and a coat of rust cure. Also did the bits of tinware on either side of the engine bay.

Found the main fuel hose in the engine bay was cracked where it was bent but when i tried to remove it the 8-6mm inline reducer broke. The plastic was all crumbly so another item to find. :(

·
Registered
12,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #271 ·
Got another wheel painted silver, plus the tinware that sits either side of the engine and the tinware under the pushrod tubes.

Also replaced the fuel filter as it sediment in it and in the process poured fuel down my arm to my elbow. Unleaded and eczema are not a good combination. Felt like my arm was on fire and my fleece is now soaked and stinking. 😡

·
Registered
12,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #272 ·
I finally now have a sliding door handle that you can't open with any key or a knife etc. I found my bag of springs and wafers salvaged from old bay, T3, golf, passat and beetle locks and managed to make a barrel that now has all springs and wafers working as it should. :)

·
Registered
13,147 Posts
There used to be a wood yard in Whitehaven near the council offices - possibly jacksons? might be worth a try if it's still there. When we made them for the split we used fibreboard I think it was called.

·
Registered
12,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #274 ·
I think Jacksons is still there. I can find full 1220x2440 sheets of 4mm ply but no one will just sell me 1/3 of a sheet so 2/3 would be thrown out. :(

Tailgate bottom is FUBAR'd with the inner separated completely from the outer.

Repair panels are no longer available, new tailgates are £800+ and good second hand replacements are hundreds of pounds.

·
Registered
12,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #275 ·
Got the rest of the wheels painted in wheel silver. Looks like i need to go tyre shopping.
Rears are a newish pair of Uniroyal Rainmax tyres which have too soft a sidewall to use on a van even though they are van tyres. They've also worn down to 4mm within 10K miles.
One of the front tyres is bald on the edge, around 15 years old and starting to crack and the other front is a Michelin from 2003 which looks great still but obviously past its use by date so it looks like i'll need at least new pair. :(
The spare is still the factory fitted (in 1988 :oops:) Michelin N, has never been used that i know of and looks like it should be in a museum.

Uniroyal rainmax.

Vanco with bald outer edge.

2003 Michelin X

·
Registered
13,147 Posts
Tailgate bottom is FUBAR'd with the inner separated completely from the outer.

Repair panels are no longer available, new tailgates are £800+ and good second hand replacements are hundreds of pounds.
That's strange. Would have thought it'd be a good earner as a repair panel. Nearly every one I looked at last year was rotten

·
Registered
12,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #277 ·
That's strange. Would have thought it'd be a good earner as a repair panel. Nearly every one I looked at last year was rotten
There used to be an inner repair available but i believe the press tool was damaged and never repaired.
The lower 2" of the outer is available but its £110 from JK. I'm gonna use a section of steel and make my own lower outer section (its only the bottom inch i need anyway). The inner will probably be a bit more difficult especially the corners as its an odd shape.

·
Registered
12,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #279 ·
Made a start chopping out the rot on the tailgate.
Outer only needs a couple of small bits welding in (plus the whole lower seam).

Inner is shot the whole way along so its all been chopped out including both corners.

This bit where the lock mech bolts in is going to be a difficult shape to make i think.

261 - 280 of 325 Posts