Volkszone Forum banner
321 - 340 of 373 Posts

·
Registered
12,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #321 ·
Having a bit of a pre move clearout and decided to try and remove the remains of these bus tyres off the steel rims.
I've tried a grinder with a cutting blade and a grinding blade and both just clog in seconds and creates loads of smoke as it melts the rubber. :rolleyes:
Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
I'd persevere with the grinder. I'm sure you already know, but you only have to get through the bead in one place and it'll loosen like an elastic band. I cut through one a couple of weeks ago with a 1mm metal cutting disc (tyre stuck on a rusty wheel that I wanted to turn into a fire pit), and it did create a big cloud of tyre smoke.

·
Registered
12,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #323 ·
I'd persevere with the grinder. I'm sure you already know, but you only have to get through the bead in one place and it'll loosen like an elastic band. I cut through one a couple of weeks ago with a 1mm metal cutting disc (tyre stuck on a rusty wheel that I wanted to turn into a fire pit), and it did create a big cloud of tyre smoke.
The bundle (?) of steel wires in the bead are only about 5mm in diamater so easy to cut through in seconds, its just the 1/2 -3/4" of rubber thats being a PITA. I did ones on old beetle rims in a couple of minutes as the rubber was only 1/4" thick, the reinforced D rated van tyres are much heavier duty.

·
Registered
12,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #325 ·
Spent an hour or so this afternoon replacing the cap and bellows on the bottom of the gear shifter. Gave the shifter a coat or two of leftover metallic gold spray paint along with the shifter box too.

I should have cut the rubber mat away from the two screw holes that hold the air channel on the floor in place as i couldn't find them when i tried screwing it into place. :rolleyes:

Dog leg first on a 5 speed box.

·
Registered
12,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #328 ·
Been trying to work out how to adjust the shifter so it doesn't hit the console surround in reverse, 2nd and 4th.
Not sure if moving the mounting at the bottom of the shifter rearwards a little will affect the rest of the linkage settings (which at the moment allow me to get all 5 plus reverse gear without much trouble.

Theres currently 10mm of splines showing which seems to be about right and allows the lever to cross from the 2-3 position across to the 1st-reverse position without catching the blocks in the shift housing. At 8mm 1st is not accessable.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Wheel cylinder I assume as there's no oil in the axles like a swing axle bug.
Parts ordered.
Shows my total lack of T25 knowledge right there :ROFLMAO:
PITA but after clocking up all those miles in it with a trailer must feel great

·
Registered
12,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #339 ·
Found a crack in the drivers side rear suspension arm mount between the edge of the mount and a hole too which i'll fix while its off the road sorting the brakes.
Mount looks like this and its cracked here where the metal got thin due to being packed with muck from behind.

Looks easy enough to chop a piece out and weld a section of steel into place.

321 - 340 of 373 Posts