Volkszone Forum banner
461 - 480 of 489 Posts

· Registered
11,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #461 ·
Caravelle had been running lovely for 2 days since i replaced the distributor cap, until this afternoon when driving back from town.
Rev counter needle going crazy, up and down the gauge, with loud backfires when the needle hit zero mark. Managed to carefully drive it the last few miles home and its now sat in disgrace on the drive.
I suspect it could possibly be the igntion coil breaking down when its hot. Either that, the ignition amplifier or the hall sensor in the distributor. Hopefully its one the former two as i have spares.🤞

· Registered
11,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #462 ·
After spending an afternoon working through all the available ignition component tests in the Bentley manual it seems its the hall sensor on the dizzy breaking down.
£30 delivered isn't too bad though it does need the plug replacing as its not the same shape as the one on the vehicle.

· Registered
11,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #463 ·
Between painting the skirting boards and window sills with white gloss i managed to get the hall sensor replaced.
Making sure i know which wire goes where when i replace the plug.
Automotive tire Electrical wiring Gas Terrestrial plant Wire

New one was marked anyway. :rolleyes: Slot in the side of the distributor needed widening with a dremel as the new plastic plug thing is slightly wider.
Helmet Gas Motor vehicle Personal protective equipment Engineering

The waterproof plug cover is £18 :eek: so its just got three 36 pence rubber plugs on the wires instead.
Automotive tire Tire Bicycle tire Bicycle part Rim

All back together and she started straight up. (y) I made a new earth lead for the petrol shut off solenoid for the LPG system as the wire was barely holding on.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas Scrap

Went for a quick run round and she behaved herself nicely. Will need to go for a longer run to see how she is when up to temperature as i thing the old one was breaking down when it got hot.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

· Registered
11,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #465 ·
Caravelle is getting new fuel hoses due to them cracking where they were bent.

Roads are back to being filthy again. Caravelle looks like someone painted a mountain range or forest along the side.
Still on a hosepipe ban too, even though its rained pretty much every couple of days since it was set up. :rolleyes:

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant

· Registered
11,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #472 ·
Cleaned about a ton of mud and shite from under the arches today. The mud was 2" deep on the road in places where theres been tractors driven out of the fields.
Reasonably clean for now though i lost the feeling in my fingers its so cold.
Tire Vehicle Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle

· Registered
11,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #473 ·
Its finally snowed in Pembrokeshire (i'm not counting the hail like stuff that laid yesterday). Only 2" or so but better than nothing.
Caravelle made it out of the uphill sloping carpark exit at the woods under its own power. Not sure if the 3 FWD cars will. It was like sheet ice under the snow. Only the major road is gritted (slightly) so the others are like a Swedish rally stage. 😁
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Van

Snow makes everything pretty doesn't it?
Sky Cloud Blue Snow Natural landscape

Sky Plant Blue Snow Azure

Water Sky Water resources Plant Cloud

· Registered
11,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #474 ·
Pembrokeshire is still a winter wonderland. Went up into the forest up the hill this morning and the caravelle was a champ making it up the hill when a 4x4 gave up at the bottom.
Blue Snow Plant Natural landscape Branch

Dogs having fun.
Dog Plant Snow Carnivore Natural landscape

Caravelle reached the 200000 mile mark on the clock too.
Speedometer Gauge Odometer Measuring instrument Font

· Registered
11,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #478 ·
Well it lasted a few miles before it was mucky again.
Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Spent a while trying to seal an exhaust leak this afternoon. Silencer has a hole rotted in the bottom where the support cradle holds it. Already on silencer number 3 and this one is getting past its best. Stainless one would have worked out cheaper in the long run
Gonna be another cold night.
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

Roads are already looking a bit shiny.
Sky Plant Natural landscape Branch Tree

· Registered
11,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #479 ·
Caravelle has been feeling a bit down on power for a while now. Cheacked the timing and it was a couple of degrees out. Back to factory specs now. Hopefully that'll cure it. Don't know if a blowing exhaust could also possibly be why it feels a bit down on power.
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Auto part Automotive air manifold

· Registered
11,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #480 ·
Caravelle felt like it was a bit happier today after setting the ignition timing back to factory specs.
I think i could still do with checking the tappets, though as its got hydraulic ones i'm not sure anything can be adjusted.

461 - 480 of 489 Posts