Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
15,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are they like? I've kinda always fancied a blue one! No idea if what they're like to live with but they've gotta be a bit of a laugh haven't they? :D:D

Feel free to slate them and end this dream of mine!

32,416 Posts
What Darren said really, the 1.9 was far more developed and substantially quicker without getting Fat like the Golf did.

On the limit it has truely terrifying lift-off oversteer that came around on you quicker than a Big Issue seller approaching someone with a handfull of change, and was generally twitchy in the wet, and not exactly stable in the dry. To drive one fast you need to be a) reasonably competent and b) focused as hell.

Build quality was OK, but you'll pay good money for a decent one now as most have been thrashed and abused to the point of uselessness.

·
I really must get out more
6,757 Posts
Great little cars. Though the 1.9 is the quickest and the one most seem to favour - I prefer the 1600 gti. Its a bit slower 0-60 but in my opinion its a much nicer vehicle to drive being smoother / less harsh and better balanced. On top of that its cheaper to buy and insure too - if you dont believe me - get a test drive in each and see what you think.

·
Registered
20,431 Posts
The best hot hatch I have ever driven.

I owned, when they were new, the 205 XS, 1.6GTi and 19.GTi and each had their own strong points - but all were great cars.
XS - superb balance. The engine was newer than the fat iron lump in the GTi versions and sunsequently was beautifully balanced. Driving through the road tunnels around Birmingham there has never been a better car, steering under braking was taught, controlled and accurate. Power understeer was controlled and linear, so you tended to use that to change your line in a bend. Of the three that is the one I would like to own again.

16GTi - more power obviously - and so a great motorway cruiser and what appered to me to be the better power rating for the car. When the wiley French built the GTi they changed the mount points for the front suspension and so its turn in was sharper than the XS and it had less power off understeer - they assumed anyone who bought one would know how to drive. The extra weight of the engine did make the steering heavier and needing a bit more of lug on the wheel. This is the one my wife would steal to drive to London.

1.9GTi - as above but more power so a fewer revs at cruising, but not much difference to 16 - insurance notably higher.

All of course without power steering.

But one thing - all would beat the fuck out of any Golf made at the same time, if you like driving.

Like Alfa Romeos - you must drive one before you die.

·
Registered
26,797 Posts
Great little cars. Though the 1.9 is the quickest and the one most seem to favour - I prefer the 1600 gti. Its a bit slower 0-60 but in my opinion its a much nicer vehicle to drive being smoother / less harsh and better balanced. On top of that its cheaper to buy and insure too - if you dont believe me - get a test drive in each and see what you think.
i also prefer the 1.6

·
Registered
20,431 Posts
Reading TriKKy2 comments - like mine saying 16 was the more subtle of the GTi - the 19 had even wider and larger wheels/tyres - this of course made the steering even heavier - and so the finnesse was less.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've had loads of 205's (petrols & diesels) including a 1.9 GTI & I can say they all handle like a go-cart in the dry, but pushed to the limit you can have a 'brown trouser' moment quite easily.
Get the best you can afford, look after it & when you get fed up, sell it on for the same or more than you paid ............ Luvverrrly jubbly !! ;)

·
Registered
45,792 Posts
i had a 1.6 gti totally standard with yokahama 509`s on it, best hot hatch i ever owned /went in, went on to a 8v golf gti after and although the build quality got better i wanted the pug back for every other reason, when ever comparisons are made between the 1.6 and 1.9 pugs, the 1.6 is always thought of as the better car, from what ive seen anyway, i would love one again, saw a really mint one last year, but it was £6000:eek:

32,416 Posts
arhh makes sense.....the gt turbo handled shit aswell....and was made from cheese:lol:
I'll call the mid-engined on the maxi Turbo, not strictkly accurate, but makes it easier to distinguish.

The Maxi Turbo doesn't handle badly, in fact a good few wins in International Rallying prior to the Audi Quattro arriving shows that it was pretty bloody good, but it was a short wheelbase mid engined car that had more power than mechanical grip when hard on the boost, so a bit of a handfull.....

Errant, but truely brilliant!

·
Registered
18,522 Posts
If you can find one these days, get a Skip Brown converted 1.6 to 1.9

My old man had one and it out performed his later factory 1.9 on every level:eek:;)

Awesome cars.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I've had a couple, and a 309 SRi (1.6 Pug GTi Running gear) and 309GTi

They're great, but I prefer my Golf MKII, JUST because I like to be in cars as well as drive them, and the golf is a lot nicer to be in, it's also got a nicer gear change than any of my pugs have had (picky I know, but it's one of those things with me!)

But the 205 GTi, esp in early, sun-roofless 1.6 form is a brilliant brilliant drivers car.

They can and will scare the crap out of you if you drive em on the limit, but you learn quickly to pay attention. The 1.9 is a better looking car, with the 15" Speedline wheels,, they've also got rear discs (which are next to useless btw!) and half leather interiors.

Original ones are getting increasingly hard to find, and command a decent ammount of money, but you'll get a better 205 for your money than a golf.

Drive both versions, and don't discount cars that have been Mi16 Converted, it's a cracking engine, although apparently they don't handle as well in Mi form.

Group N rear torsion bars soften the back end but make it more controllable when it does give, I'd recommend this modification if you like to drive fast.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts