Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to replace my 009 with a vac advance dizzy due to the typical poor running problems with the 34 pict 3 and an 009. Question is, which vac port due I connect the vac pipe to? My carb has not got one in the usual place but has what looks like 2 others, one on each side of the carb, and 2 on the front:

Can I use any of these?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am replacing the dizzy, NOT the carb. Engine is mexican and that is the carb it came with.

·
Registered
18,482 Posts
I will say that none of the existing ports is suitable for vac advance.

http://www.carburetorfactory.com/expvw35.html
exploded view of the stock carb.
Just to the right of the idle solenoid, note the "rib" cast into the body, and the brass port sticking out.
That's the vac connection needed.

That rib is also in your carb and, I bet, one could drill the blanked hole in the casting to press in a brass pipe. You'd have to check to see if the internal passage is drilled near the throttle plate position for vacuum pickup in the venturi.

SJ

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
I've just noticed that it's the dreaded Boca 34 Pict-3. They are nothing but trouble from what I have heard. My VW mexican beetle booklets (they cover both carburettor and fuel injection beetles) only mention the Solex 34 Pict-3 carburettor (along with the VW part number) and it seems that VW had never installed the Boca carburettor on carburettor based beetles.

I have also learnt in the past that carburettors which have too many vacuum ports can also cause problems. I had exactly the same problem when my 1300's 1600 twin port engine had the 1300 twin port inlet manifold (it now has the correct inlet manifold centre piece and elbows) and Brosol's H30/31 heap of junk installed.

On a standard Solex 34 Pict-3 (in my case I got a second hand one and I got it profesionally rebuilt), the vacuum hose connections are as follows (for a later type paper air filter unit):-

- Distributor vacuum unit to left hand vacuum port on carburettor (vacuum advance)
- Rear vacuum port of carburettor to left hand vacuum port of the air filter unit's warm air flap thermostat.
- Right hand vacuum port of the air filter unit's warm air flap thermostat to warm air flap's vacuum unit's vacuum port.

If you do the above, then your car should run a lot better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
In the lower picture, about the middle of the carb body, there is a flat disc. This threaded "plug" found its way out of my carb while going down the road. None of the rebuild kits, or parts diagrams that I can find for this thing acknowledges its existence much less describes it so that I can replace it. Any suggestions?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.