Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got myself some weber 40s for my 1641, Its got ICTs on at the moment and its running just about. I'm an apprentice mechanic of about 7 months and Iím wondering if I will be able to get them on and running or is it best to take it all up to my garage on Tuesday and get proper mechanics to help me.

There all jetted correctly so how easy is it cuz itís my daily and I canít really have it not running and not being able to get anywhere.

Thanks

·
Registered
21,202 Posts
Do it yourself - it'll be fine!

Where are you doing your apprentiship?
Unless you've got some "old school" mechanics there, there's a huge possibility the people there haven't seen twin carbs before!

·
Registered
9,283 Posts
yeah bang em on, and have a fiddle if they dont run right, worse comes to the worset you'll have to stick you old carbs back on

·
Registered
611 Posts
...and 'big up yourself',

if your an apprentice mechanic of 7 months then you must have some idea, I know people who call themselves engineers just because they can identify a spanner and they know how to work out pi on a calculator...

·
Registered
21,202 Posts
Oh yes, a tip to balancing them roughly so you can get the engine running - get one of the carbs, stick a 10p piece inbetween the throttle and the stop and adjust the idle screw until you can move the 10p with a little resistance but not too tight. Then do the same with the other carb using the same 10p piece.

I drove my Bay around with the 36 IDF carbs balanced like this for ages before I balanced them properly and even then, they were only slightly out.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm working for an indipendant TVR service garage. I know one guy there had an old elan sprint that was running 40s but I will give it a go tomorrow.

Please be standing by your keyboards when it all goes wrong haha

Thanks

·
Registered
141 Posts
Veedubyah said:
I'm working for an indipendant TVR service garage. I know one guy there had an old elan sprint that was running 40s but I will give it a go tomorrow.

Please be standing by your keyboards when it all goes wrong haha

Thanks
I put 40's on mine - bolted them on and started first time. Just make sure the jetting is close and the things are balanced.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts