Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2387 will be running 48 IDA's and I se that alot of people running them with various mods.

The key one being the 3rd progression hole conversion.

Is there any one in the UK you can send your carbs to to get this mod done?

What else do you guys recommend?

Cheers

Michael

·
Registered
6,302 Posts
I may be wrong, but if you have new ida;s they may have the 3rd progression hole already. I was under the impression later originals had these as well?

Lee

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
send them to cogbox or somebody like Martin Taylor get them taken out to 51.2 and the 3rd prog hole and the rev range will be very smouth. Having driven one car with the 3rd hole and one with out, i know which i would choose. :)

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Pete opened out my float bowl so there is more fuel sat there.

The way I drive I may never empty what was there but I guess it doesn't hurt and if you drive like James you would need it.

I am going down South on Saturday so if you want them fettled by Pete then call him, if he has time, I can take them.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pete opened out my float bowl so there is more fuel sat there.

The way I drive I may never empty what was there but I guess it doesn't hurt and if you drive like James you would need it.

I am going down South on Saturday so if you want them fettled by Pete then call him, if he has time, I can take them.
Cool, I'll give him a bell tomorrow......

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Anybody ever used a set of 46s ? i seen alot of sets on italian race cars but never seen or heard any body use them for a mild stroker?
if i am not mistaken the 40 and 46 IDA's are triple barrel carbs .

not good for a flat four great for a flat 6 or V6

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
i drilled the 3rd hole myself, made a load of difference:D just between the other 2!!
It may well have made a difference but it's not the correct place to do it, there are some other small jobs that need doing to make the 3rd progression work correctly.
We could do the whole job for you for a small charge.

·
Hot shoe
26,131 Posts
It may well have made a difference but it's not the correct place to do it, there are some other small jobs that need doing to make the 3rd progression work correctly.
We could do the whole job for you for a small charge.
how much is cheap? looking at getting this done :)

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
51.5mm IDA's would only be a benefit on a higher RPM race style engine which could make use of the greater air flow, a street motor would certainly be less driveable with this size carb and may never see the RPM needed to make them work at their best, also the cam choice, valve size and comp ratio needed to get the best from these carb's wouldn't make an ideal street engine.

I would go for a slightly milder package, it would be nicer to drive and probably quicker on the street as most of the time is spent in the low to mid rpm range.

Daz

1 - 20 of 62 Posts