Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 347 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was on the way to buy this bug, from the description and conversations I had I was expecting the body to be really good and just need painting. Unfortunately.. it turned out it wasn't quite as good as I was expecting. A lot of the repairs that had been done weren't straight, hidden with filler and effected door gaps ect.

Anyway, there's a lot of work to do now and needs some new repair panels but fair enough, time to make it my own.

My plans for this project so far are to slam it, put it on air ride, 4-6" narrowed beam, custom floor pans, 1914 twin carb engine, stock steelies for now and a stock looking interior with a pair of porsche tombstones.

Of course that all subject to change ;)

The chassis is a 58, the body is a 66 and the rear window is from a 54 so were pretty mixed up :D

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update 1

The roof was joined and welded on the swage line and understandably was too hard to keep straight that way. Even with filler on it was all over the place and could be spotted a mile off. For some reason a section was cut out with the drip rail on both sides and welded back in wonky.

You can see how its buckled in the picture.

There is quite a valley where the roofs were joined. You can see the dip between the car and the background.

Got it looking better with a hammer and dolly, it will do for now.

Both bottom A pillar repair sections were welded in wonky and left a 10mil gap between the door and the pillar at the bottom. I got the old panel cut out.

I then tac'd and welded the new one in fitting the door to make sure it was lining up.

I have a W decklid from my other project that suits the oval window much better. Unfortunately it has been welded up and I'll need to figure out what to cut out and where to drill to get the mounts for the popes nose back. God knows how I will do that. It's got quite a few dents too which are mostly inaccessible with a hammer and dolly.

Got all the paint and filler off.

The repair doesn't help much in figuring out what I need to cut. It's not even symmetrical, haha.

Next on the list is to re do the rhs a pillar.

·
Registered
17,965 Posts
Nice projects and plans m8.work so far very good.Keep going !!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update 2

Got the other bottom a post welded in today.

Then I got cracking on with the front apron. God this is going to take some messing on to get right. Spent 90% of the time figuring out how to do it. In the end I've probably not done it the best way but hey, It will get done.

Half day today and tomorrow due to work, I aim to get it at least the front end tac'd in tomorrow. I don't know how hard it's going to be to line up and get straight with the bonnet though. Progress is progress though.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Good work keep the pictures coming, challenging times are sent to try us ;)

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update 3

Only had 3 hours today.

Had a trial fit with the bonnet and marked what needed cutting.

Got it all cut out.

Tac'd it up and checked with the bonnet again and then I welded up both sides with MIG.

Still needs plug welds doing but ran out of time for today.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Looks like a nice project you have there.

Regarding the sig, go to 'USER CP' (near the top left of the page) > Edit Signature

You may need to become a sponsored member to add a signature - I cant remember

More info HERE

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Another cracking thread Rockk.

Subscribed!!!!

You dont hang about do you???? Blimey!!!!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update 4.2

Found another dodgy repair to fix. Rear panel is out from the door.

It wasn't even welded solid and just had tacs every few cm's.

I cut through the welds and ground off the panel where it was overlapped so it can be butt welded. Then cut on the side and underneath to be able to move it in and out where needed.

Panel lines up with the door now.

Still needs finishing a welding but its looking better.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Mate this is coming on nicely, keep up the good work :)

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update 5

Today I finished welding the rear quarter, its far better than it was and will need minimal filler compared to the 10mm+ that I sanded off it.

I also filled the wing mirror holes on the new doors.

On Monday I will be fixing the front quarters. Again, after grinding out about 15mm of filler I found another bad repair. I'm just waiting on the heater tubing to come in stock.

Here you can see how wonkey it is at the moment.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tell me about it. All the paint has to come off too. They didn't sand the e-coat and por-15 in some places before painting and its flaking. I cant trust anywhere on the car now. Don't want to spend weeks and £100's on paint to have it flake off. :crazy:

WOW. Someone really loved their filler!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update 6

Cant believe how long this has took today. Problem after problem trying to get this new panel in.

Firstly the repro panel was way off so I had to add material. Then after trying the wing and running board on I realised I had to change it again.

In the end it has taken all day for this one little section.

Got some hose for the heater channels. It would be near impossible to fit this after doing this panel.

So this was the first time it was welded in.

When I folded over the metal from the bottom a pillar it pushed out the new panel as it wasn't a right angle. It was too tight at that point to bend it back so I had to grind that off, cut out another 90 degree bend and weld that back in place.

In the end it looks messy but it is far straighter than it was and will need a lot less filler :)

Will finish it up tomorrow and fingers crossed the other side will go a lot smoother.

1 - 20 of 347 Posts