Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is following on from this
http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=419628

upon checking the spark plugs none of them seem to be wet but a bit black so i gave them a little clean,but i still cant get it started all the leads are the right way round,dizzy cap on the right way,rotor arm pointing to notch on the dizzy body and both pointing to no1 cylinderbtm pully at tdc

am i right in thinking that if its firing at no 1 then when you put a screw driver in it lifts it up at tdc ?if so its there

tomorow im going to get someone else to turn it over and ill turn the dizzy by hand see if that does anything,but after that im stuck,ill also take another couple of pics of the wiring if anybody thinks that,ll help with any ideas

·
Highly Respected Member
13,589 Posts
am i right in thinking that if its firing at no 1 then when you put a screw driver in it lifts it up at tdc ?i
Screwdriver ? Put in where ? :confused:

Do you have fuel in the carb ? Take the filter off, open the choke and open the throttle. Check that you're getting a good jet of fuel spraying down the carb bore.

Your distributor looks like it's not fully seated. The shoulder should be flush with the case / clamp. Sometimes they can "almost" lock in at 180 degrees out.

Dave.

·
Highly Respected Member
13,589 Posts
Screwdriver ? Put in where ?
Sussed it - you mean down the plug hole to feel the piston I assume.

You need to have no.1 piston at the top of it's stroke, both valves for no.1 closed (clearance on both rockers), tdc mark in line with the case join, and the rotor arm lined up with the notch in the distributor body.

If you can say yes to that lot then your basic engine timing is right.

Dave.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
screwdriver just sitting in where the no1 spark plug goes

yes fuel getting to carb checked that (sorry should have said)

ill try pushing the dizzy in a bit more i see what you mean when i look at the pic,just had a thought though if the vacum on the dizzy was faulty would that stop it starting ?

·
Highly Respected Member
13,589 Posts
if the vacum on the dizzy was faulty would that stop it starting ?
No - but if your distributor was 180 degrees out it would.

If you can't seat the distributor all the way down, remove it and check that you're not putting it in 180 degrees out - ie the drive pins are offset, but only slightly. If you haven't checked your valve timing as well as the pulley and piston, you could still be 180 deg out.

Check the vac can by sucking on the pipe. you should be able to suck it all the way on and then hold it there with the end of your tongue without it moving back till you release it.

Dave.

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
Have you checked compression? And are you definately getting a good regular spark? Might be worth changing the points and condensor just in case. They are cheap enough anyway...

·
Registered
18,482 Posts
Look on my web site for: "Why wont my engine start?"

Go thru all the tests methodically.

And do Mr. Whippy's test:
Quote: "You need to have no.1 piston at the top of it's stroke, both valves for no.1 closed (clearance on both rockers),"
Especially the part about checking the #1 valves.

----------------
I doubt that compression is to blame, but you can satisfy yourself:

Shift in Neutral, turn the crank pulley by hand (grab the dynamo pulley for ease) clockwise direction. When the crank pulley has gone
thru 2 revs, you should have felt 4 very distinct compression "peaks".

Do the test a few times till you get the feel of it.
-----------------

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
Or buy a compression tester, they aint expensive! :D

I just thought compression or maybe a leaky manifold as I read your first topic and you said its trying but not managing...

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
compresion is ok tried it this morning,it did start this morning to but by the time i got out to play about with the dizzy a bit it had conked out again :mad:but gettin the missus to turn it over whilst i watched i noticed that there was like a little puff of what looked like smoke (maybe fuel) belting out of the screw that holds the throtle lever on if that makes sence ?

ill let it settle have some nosebag and go back hopefully get it running again long enough to get a timming gun on it

·
Highly Respected Member
13,589 Posts
ill have another look at the dizzy tomorow

and ive tried the sucking thing (on the vacuum btw) and there doesnt seem to be to much movement inside
It only rotates the plate by maybe 5mm or so - and you should be able to hold it there. If you can't suck it round or if it won't stay put whilst you hold the vacuum, then a replacement vac can is reqd. If you're using a hose to do it, obviously it must be a good fit and free from any leaks.

Dave.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cheers dave,got the bug running today :D,but it wont idle and when i take my foot of the gas the engine makes a horible nocking sound the whole car judders and it comes to a stop,ive recorded it on my phone ,im just trying to work out how to now get it onto photobucket to put on here :crazy:

·
Tech Guru/Mr VZi '06
41,834 Posts
.....but it wont idle and when i take my foot of the gas the engine makes a horible nocking sound the whole car judders and it comes to a stop.........
My first guess there would be that the plug leads are not fitted in the right order, or your timing is well out. That would also account for the 'smoke' coming from your carb.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My first guess there would be that the plug leads are not fitted in the right order, or your timing is well out. That would also account for the 'smoke' coming from your carb.

cheers moby,i could have swore that i had my leads the right way round BUT speedy jim gave me a diagram and it looked like i had one and two the wrong way round so swapped them over and thats when the car started ?

im still trying to get this video up

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
cheers moby looking at pic 2 ive got leads 2 n 4 mixed up,but the cars firing up ? that wouldnt cause the knocking would it,wouldnt be the starter motor would it ?

im just going through things in my head :crazy:

·
Tech Guru/Mr VZi '06
41,834 Posts
cheers moby looking at pic 2 ive got leads 2 n 4 mixed up,but the cars firing up ?

that wouldnt cause the knocking would it.............

im just going through things in my head :crazy:
Give your head a rest.
Read my post re 'knocking' (2nd one above).
Fit the HT cables correctly.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
cheers peeps got it going this afternoon (whilst sciving)between everyone who replied to the post and the diagrams from moby and speedy jim,i got it sorted it turned out to be timing and i had leads one and two the wrong way round :lol: swapped them over and she started straight away nice big couple of puffs of smoke then ran sweet as

couple of pics of the starter motor bush :eek:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.