Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys and Gals,
Well after lurking on VZi for a while I've finally got a bug. Oh, it's also my first car!

I got it on Friday, It's a January '66 by the looks of things; and Registered March '66 in or around London, and has had 7 owners since... If your one of the 7 Please get in touch! :)

It's pretty Original. Oh and it's also a matching numbers car with only about 64,000 miles on the clock. :D

This is a pic of it when Geoff (also known as 'Magic8Ball' on here) first got it. :cool:

This is an oldie too. Wearing it's very Ratty bumper (could be a repro?) - I'll have a look in the history to see if there is any mention of replacing it.
Also by the looks of the pretty battered plate it might have been slammed in the past? :lol: :cool:

I'm not sure if the paint is OG, it does look it..
I think it's 'L 519 Bahama blue' but not 100% on that (Because on the '66 bug site it says the colour is a Left hooker only colour in '66?!)

By the looksee of the old MOT's it seems to have spent most of it's life in Reading/ Berkshire and also Basingstoke by the same Lady owner as the majority of them are from there. From '87 to '02..
This gives you an idea of how much it's been looked after:

There are a few more pages like this for things like engine, suspension etc. :)

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
These are Geoff's pics, I hope he don't mind me using them. I havn't taken any of the car yet. :eek:

More piccys...

This is how it stands now...

Interior:

The Gauge below the steering wheels is obviously not original, has anyone seen one of them before?

Right then, condition... bad news first - she's pretty crusty in places mainly door bottoms, they're shot so I'll need them fixed, Wheel well also has a fist sixe hole in the bottom of it.
the floors and channels were also shot... along with rear inner wings and A and B pillars it seems.

Now the Good news!..

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More...

And that's how it actually stands now, primer'd and ready to roll. Well kind of... Geoff; and Paul from B&H Motors, Reading have given her new heater channels, Hookeys closing plates, new Heavy Duty floor pans, and new Inner Wings and made the doors close properly and proberly some more things.
But she still needs a new front clip, bulkhead replacing, doors repaired, small bumper mount repairs on both sides.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
That's it for now I think, apart from that she's currently getting a new bulkhead and front clip done in Reading, Then it'll be coming home to me!

Then it's just smallish repairs, painting and weather proofing to be done, getting the engine running (it turns over by hand, but hasn't been started in like 2 years!).. then putting her back together! :D

If anyone knows what colour it could be I would really like to know, I could get a Birth Certificate but might wait for that.

Cheers,
Aston.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
looks a very neat project there my friend. are you going to be doing a body off restoration for the floors and heater channels?
Thanks dude, They've already been done, why would I have to take body off? :confused:

But if you mean to paint and under seal etc.. No probably not because it's not really worth taking it all apart for something that can be done with the body on.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And that's how it actually stands now, primer'd and ready to roll. Well kind of... Geoff; and Paul from B&H Motors, Reading have given her new heater channels, Hookeys closing plates, new Heavy Duty floor pans, and new Inner Wings and made the doors close properly and proberly some more things.
But she still needs a new front clip, bulkhead replacing, doors repaired, small bumper mount repairs on both sides.
Oh, and I almost forgot... the new Front valence that's being put in is an Autocraft one that came with the car, I also have a spare rear valence! :D

Seems like Geoff didn't like to Skimp on panels.

Plans for the car will be unveiled soon; some may approve, others not so much. :lol:
But my username might give you a clue ;)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Thanks!

:lol: I like the colour so I'm going to keep it me thinks.

But was the Bahama blue on yours the OG paint? was it RHD?
Yea and Ive got the birth certificate too so I can confirm that Bahama Blue was a RHD car paint at the time :) also its a one owner (plus me) car and I have all the history so I know it def never had a respray

The OG paint was salvagable so I never should have changed the colour really but hey you only live once right:cool:

Mine was made in Jan 66 too!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yea and Ive got the birth certificate too so I can confirm that Bahama Blue was a RHD car paint at the time :) also its a one owner (plus me) car and I have all the history so I know it def never had a respray

The OG paint was salvagable so I never should have changed the colour really but hey you only live once right:cool:

Mine was made in Jan 66 too!
Thanks, Thats awesome news!
Our cars could be twins :lol: ;)

Feel free to hijack and post some pics here of it. Is love to see another original Bahama Jan '66. :D

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'll have to dig out the actual photo I have after the first (crappy) resto when he looked his best in Bahama blue (yea its an actual photo you can pick up and everything :lol:)

But my recent build thread is on here if you want to take a gander at what I ended up with

http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=674398

I'll probably go back to Bahama blue one day - once Ive got the Herbie thing out of my system (it is seriously fun driving a Herbie tho:p)

1 - 20 of 168 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.